• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

March Moto Madness- Tellico Plains

DCTFAN

Reaction score
Visit site
2016 March Moto Madness- Tellico Plains

Anyone going? Have any past experience with this group?

Event Date:03-31-16 - 04-03-16

Event Time:

801 Steer Creek Rd.
Tellico Plains, TN 37385
UNITED STATES

75 Hours of the most fun you can have with your motorcycle for just $1 per hour

$75 – registered & paid on or before 3/17

3 nights camping – Thurs, Fri, Sat
3 Breakfasts – Fri, Sat & Sun
2 Dinners – Fri & Sat
Door prizes
Friday Night Barrel Races
Saturday Trials course with a new hill climb
Thursday night pot luck – bring a local favorite and share with your new friends
Bon fire each night

RV / Camper sites, reservation basis
Limited to 26′ (larger units can be parked in adjacent lot, no hookups)
$50 – electric
$75 – electric / water

Last edited:
No experience at this event as I'm not one for large groups, but can testify to the area. It's an absolutely amazing area loaded with super fun FSR riding.

The area is great riding but I'm reluctant to camping three nights with strangers. I take my chances as it is with small groups of people I know and like spending time with.

Late March and early April can be really cold up there. The coldest riding I've ever done was the Cherohala in the third weekend in March. 22 degrees in the morning, high of 25 in the afternoon.

I went last year. Lunatic Fringe dual sport crowd. Cold as RIP. Cherohala was iced over at the mid-point. Also disliking strange people in large numbers, I stayed nearby at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground in a nice heated cabin. But then, I'm a wuss.

Great riding area and close to Krambonz BBQ. What's not to like?

What's not to like?
Lunatic Fringe dual sport crowd. Cold as RIP. Cherohala was iced over at the mid-point. Also disliking strange people in large numbers...
You answered your own question.
hee hee hee;)

From my understanding, it's a dual sport event.
It's really a dual sport area. Even though some of the FSRs might as well be paved they are so flat, smooth and hard packed, there are also a lot of areas where I would not take an NC at all! And actually I would not even take my KLR. The trick is to know where to go and where to stay away from if riding an NC. There is access to some great paved roads, but Tellico Plains is really quite far west of the pavement riding grounds. There are a lot better places to base camp if riding pavement IMHO.

It's really a dual sport area. Even though some of the FSRs might as well be paved they are so flat, smooth and hard packed, there are also a lot of areas where I would not take an NC at all! And actually I would not even take my KLR. The trick is to know where to go and where to stay away from if riding an NC. There is access to some great paved roads, but Tellico Plains is really quite far west of the pavement riding grounds. There are a lot better places to base camp if riding pavement IMHO.

Agree with all of this, but on the subject of paved roads, there are some interesting paved roads west of the meeting area that are almost single lane asphalt. Like somebody's driveway running through the hills. Those are enjoyable. But yes, they haul some dirt bikes back in pieces from some of the rides. There is also an interesting sub-sub-culture that call themselves "Morans".

MMM is a DUAL SPORT focusing on OFF ROAD riding though there are plenty of BIG BIKE rides that are just as easy as riding pavement. I went for the first time last year and I had a pretty good experience but I was on my CRF250L. I was planning to go on the NC this year with some buddies but not sure I will get to due to work.

1. I am not into large group rides so Thurs and Sun I went out on my own rides. Friday I went out on my own but found 2 other guys my speed while riding who I enjoyed riding the rest of the day with. Saturday I went out with one of the guys from the previous day and had a BLAST exploring so more difficult roads.
2. That area is amazing to dual sport in...no way to ride ALL the roads in 1 day...not even 4 days...not even in 7 days will you hit all the great roads that are up there!
3. I rented a cabin near bye because the temps were way too COLD COLD COLD for me to sleep outside in, especially after a long day of riding...and I wanted a shower!
4. The food is ok, the games were cool, raffles are great, the fellowship is awesome!
5. Every morning there is a trailer with routes hanging on the walls and groups you can sign up for to ride with. Some people are there and reluctant to ride in big groups or faster groups so you can pair up with them and have a fun safe day just yall.
6. I personally didnt/dont think the registration was/is worth what you get but at the same time, I am so so glad I was able to go do it at least once and will most likely do it again.

PS...I am from GA too.

((Below is video 1 of 4 of my experience from last year in case you are interested...you can find the other videos on my channel))

[video=youtube_share;2QSBcTVuqZc]https://youtu.be/2QSBcTVuqZc[/video]

Ya, that's the tricky water crossing on Witt Rd. The first time I crossed it, I went dead center and damn near dumped it due to getting high centered. Ya, don't take the center. Although the water was about 10-12" deeper at that time. I have been told the best line through there (going in the same direction in the video) is stay as far right as you can possibly get, "pegs scraping the bank as you enter/exit the water", but have not tried it yet.

Was that Whit road in the video? That first crossing looked dangerously familiar.

Yes Whit Rd...and yes dangerous little crossing. On the CRF it was/is NOTHING...I went back this summer on the NC and had a laptop and other valuables in my saddlebags that I didnt want to dump in the drink so I walked it across. The side ways rocks really make it crazy.

have a big time and do a detailed ride report.

For me, it was definitely worth it and inspiring.
My first MC camping trip to the MMM16 started with bad weather coming in from the west
taking a direct path to the camp location passing by around midnite; expected the worst but decided to ride up: KSU 4:00AM.

I sleep in a hammock and pack lite, but
didnt know whether the camp had trees in a good location
so wanted to get in early and stake down my spot.
Then off to town and checked in at the lodge(last minute, due to scary weather):eek:
Surprisingly, I got not much rain during the ride up and into the late afternoon.
Took it easy Thursday as there was not much time to ride without getting wet.
Breakfast coffee at Tellico Grains while talking with some nice guys out of Illinois.

After short nap at the TelicoLodge, rode to Bald River Falls late in the afternoon when there
was a short window between the rain and pending thunderstorm.
Had dinner at KrambonzBBQ, where I met a small group who I rode with next few days.
BMW1200GS, Yamaha Super TenereX3 and my NCX well represented. :p

Last attendee count announced at the Saturday Raffle was 580!
The GSGiants did a fabulous job at organizing the rally.
Everybody was well fed.
Hot shower did not run out.
Every day had fun events if you came back early from rides.
Not enough time to ride in a week, let alone in three days.
Did the Cherokee Challenge in sections both days and still did not hit all
waypoints. It was a challenge for me, no joke.
Definitely put the NC through her paces. Other than the mud sections,
she performed flawless and kept up with the big toys.

IMG_20160331_093902146_HDR.jpg
Telico Visitor Center- had time to kill Thursday afternoon.

IMG_0239.jpg
Bald River Falls- Thursday afternoon before the rain came.

IMG_20160402_185131043.jpg
Camp- By Saturday, most of 580 participants rolled in.

IMG_20160401_105437636.jpg
Taking a break along the track-Friday morning

IMG_20160401_083625964.jpg
Cherokee Challenge by Twisted Throttle- Ready!

IMG_0249.jpg
Joe Brown Hwy- Saturday PM
IMG_0253.jpg
Hiawassee Dam

IMG_0254.jpg
Big campfire helped a lot.

Just for the record: 99.9% of the people that attend these rallies are fabulous, caring people who look out for one another during the rides. You sign up for rides, sign in when you leave on the rides and then sign back in to let the organizers (and your friends) that there is no one left out some where broken down. I attend a lot of the rallies on the east coast and the attendees are characters who come from all walks of life. They are there for one purpose to have a good time with their friends and talk about bikes. I have never seen a fight or hardly a cross word. People are very respectful of one another and all have bikes in common, which is the focus.
I only live a half hour from Tellico off 68 so it was convenient to stay at home and just "day ride" and I also hosted three other out of state riders at my home as well that I met at previous rallies in other states. The GS Giant group is very inclusive of other brands of bikes and riders of all stripes. I have attended many BMW events with my Suzuki(s) and never for a second felt like a peasant, or the one eyed step child in the attic in their company. I had a wonderful time at March Moto Madness this year, and will attend every year from now on. I would encourage every one in this forum to consider attending some of these events. Relax your fears of the unknown. "There be dragons" just not at the dual sport rallies, these are the friendliest people I have ever met. There are lots of road rides and lots of mixed dual sport rides in the woods and mountains. I enjoy both as I also have a DR650 and a Yami XT225 goat which will keep up with most 650's in the woods and back roads. There were a number of nc700x's at MMM this year and I had the pleasure of chatting with a few of the owners. So There!

Surprised that I only encountered two other NCX, one form FL and the other Acworth, GA.
Probably the rest of the NC owners could not bring their favorite bike out to get muddy and abused.
Maybe next year we can get a NC group together for a customized Cherokee Challenge!

Wait, why wait 'til next year?
There is a NC gathering at Stecoah,NC 5/19

Back