• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May be trading in the NC

Cutter J. Duke

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I thought I was set with possibly my last ride, but when a person has owned as many motorcycles as I have, I guess it is inevitable that I find another that I want. My local dealer took in a 2013 Triumph 800 xc tiger. They listed it at Kelly Blue Book and its an excellent example of a well maintained low mileage ride. I was hooked from the beginning, but was not willing to pay $8999.99 and take $4000 for my NC as a trade. I put a lot of money into my favorite accessories and new tires. I told the sales manager that in this area there were maybe 3 people who would find the adventure styling cool and one had his ride, one traded the Tiger in to him and that meant I was the only customer for the bike. He laughed saying that he would sell it in no time and that they had it on cycle trader and other internet sales sites. I told him we would talk in 3 months. 90 days later and the bike is still on the sales floor and he had nary a nibble. Yet again he would not relent on the price saying that they were going for even more $ in other states, I said we would talk again in another 3 months. I took the NC in for service and low and behold there is the Tiger sitting in the row next to 2 V-Strums. So I took one of the 650's for a test ride, just because I had never ridden one before. When I returned there stood the sales manager asking if I was ready to own a little Wee-Strum. Again I told him he was just asking too much for the banana yellow Strum and maybe we would talk in 3 months. The next day he called and offered me the Tiger at $7400, now that's a deal. I guess he decided I was right about his market for the Triumph. So I have made a deal on the price, he's still not offering what I want for my trade-in, but I may have to bite the bullet on that, being that new 2012's in stock are going for $5500. Its a shame that the market for such a great little bike as the NC is so small in this area, but here you ether ride a metric cruiser, a Harley bagger or a rip snorting sport bike with a race pipe that can be heard 10 blocks away. Looking cool here seems way more important to the locals and especially to the snowbirds, that practical is never even considered. I even saw a scooter the other day with "RACING" this and that stickers and an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust, come on man, seriously, it's 50cc's. So Tuesday is the deciding day but that Tiger sure would fit the bill for me and has that "triple" motor that almost had me paying through the nose for a shiny new street triple before I found the NC. I have a Tiger XC key chain, I may have to have the matching Key to go on it, sounds like a good excuse to spend the money. :p;)

Well I thought I was set with possibly my last ride, but when a person has owned as many motorcycles as I have, I guess it is inevitable that I find another that I want. My local dealer took in a 2013 Triumph 800 xc tiger. They listed it at Kelly Blue Book and its an excellent example of a well maintained low mileage ride. I was hooked from the beginning, but was not willing to pay $8999.99 and take $4000 for my NC as a trade. I put a lot of money into my favorite accessories and new tires. I told the sales manager that in this area there were maybe 3 people who would find the adventure styling cool and one had his ride, one traded the Tiger in to him and that meant I was the only customer for the bike. He laughed saying that he would sell it in no time and that they had it on cycle trader and other internet sales sites. I told him we would talk in 3 months. 90 days later and the bike is still on the sales floor and he had nary a nibble. Yet again he would not relent on the price saying that they were going for even more $ in other states, I said we would talk again in another 3 months. I took the NC in for service and low and behold there is the Tiger sitting in the row next to 2 V-Strums. So I took one of the 650's for a test ride, just because I had never ridden one before. When I returned there stood the sales manager asking if I was ready to own a little Wee-Strum. Again I told him he was just asking too much for the banana yellow Strum and maybe we would talk in 3 months. The next day he called and offered me the Tiger at $7400, now that's a deal. I guess he decided I was right about his market for the Triumph. So I have made a deal on the price, he's still not offering what I want for my trade-in, but I may have to bite the bullet on that, being that new 2012's in stock are going for $5500. Its a shame that the market for such a great little bike as the NC is so small in this area, but here you ether ride a metric cruiser, a Harley bagger or a rip snorting sport bike with a race pipe that can be heard 10 blocks away. Looking cool here seems way more important to the locals and especially to the snowbirds, that practical is never even considered. I even saw a scooter the other day with "RACING" this and that stickers and an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust, come on man, seriously, it's 50cc's. So Tuesday is the deciding day but that Tiger sure would fit the bill for me and has that "triple" motor that almost had me paying through the nose for a shiny new street triple before I found the NC. I have a Tiger XC key chain, I may have to have the matching Key to go on it, sounds like a good excuse to spend the money. :p;)

7.jpgThe grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there.

SmileyTalkingHands.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The Tiger is a smoking hot looking bike IMO. What color is it? If it's the green one then I'm green with envy if you get it. It seems to be tugging at your heart strings so I say go with your gut and buy it. Appears it's been sitting there just waiting for you too.

Its black, not my first choice, but I also wanted the NC in red but there was only the silver available. I like the NC and would have them both if that were an option, but at alas at this time it's not and with a smoking hot deal it may be my only shot at owning a Triumph. One of the few brands in the past 40 years I have to say I haven't owned and example of.

My FJR is black (the only color it came in that year) and while I wasn't a fan of black bikes it turns out it was a good thing because I have never been concerned whether it got any nicks or scratches. :) It also has become the bike I like best of all of all that I have ever owned. I would peruse the Triumph Forums just to make sure there are no major issues with the bike model year but if all things considered don't raise any red flags I still say go for it. You seem to really want it.

Can I assume you have ridden the XC ? If not, I have, and can let you have the benefit of my experience. Otherwise best of luck with your dealings.

If you fell led to buy it you should. Either way you'll regret your decision so you just need to go with your gut. If you sell the NC you'll most likely kick yourself over things you miss about the bike and if you pass on the Triumph you'll kick yourself for passing up such a good deal. I hate those situations so I have a tendency to not look back and "go for it". I think you've made up your mind so I say congrats and enjoy.

From what I've read on here, some NC owners who've traded out have regretted it. Like Chuck says though, go with your gut even though it doesn't necessary always agree with you.

I strongly believe you should take a test ride on an XC before you purchase. That will either confirm your decision or otherwise.

I rode a Tiger 800 XC all over Catalonia for four days this past September. I liked the bike a lot, the storage bags are some of the best and it handles great on the highway. I had a passenger too, but it didn't matter for performance. Seating position was great too. BUT I didn't care for the super-long front shock and super thin front tire, especially when trying to stop on a downhill. More than once I thought I was doing to drop it (never did lucky). If I was to buy a Triumph 800 I would get the NON-XC version for the regular shock and thicker front tire. I'm not a major off-road guy, thus why the NC700X is the perfect adventure bike for me.

Its black, not my first choice, but I also wanted the NC in red but there was only the silver available. I like the NC and would have them both if that were an option, but at alas at this time it's not and with a smoking hot deal it may be my only shot at owning a Triumph. One of the few brands in the past 40 years I have to say I haven't owned and example of.

If you don't like black, it can be painted any color you like. High quality custom tinted automotive/motorcycle paints are readily available to consumers. Think of it as just another farkle.

Tiger 800 (I lean more toward the Roadie version, not the XC) was on my short list when I decided to go with the NCX. If I'd had more faith in the local Triumph dealer, the decision would have gone the other way. The Tiger 800 is a real stand up bike, in my opinion. In fact, if my expectations for the 2015 model year fall through with what Erik Buell Racing offers in a new adventure bike, I'll probably pick up a new Tiger 800 in early 2015 (assuming I'm still riding then, of course). I'll probably trade in my Suzuki M50 on whatever I pick up then, and keep the NCX, though. I don't want to give up the mileage and handling, I just want more ZOOM!

I bet you will think of your NCX, when its time to do or pay for the valve service and at the pump. :eek: Ya gotta go with your heart! I hope you love the Tiger!!

Not too worried about the fuel mileage, I've checked and its not as bad as the GSX-R that I traded for the NC. I need a bit more power (had the NC750 reached 66hp, and not been unjustifiably more expensive, I'd be there). As I said I never have had a Triumph and probably wouldn't have considered one before the "new" line of triples. I have spent a lot of time on everything from 16 to 21 inch front wheels, you just have to know the limitations of the tire your on, plus I do like to take the rough trail if I get a chance. I will be test riding before I plunk down any cash. The closest Triumph dealer is an 75 minute drive, however they are good and were even excited that I would get one from another dealer and offered to give me the warrantee information since the bike has 24 month unlimited miles that follows it. As I've said I like the NC, but it just isn't perfect for my primary ride and at the moment to have a multi-bike garage again is not in the works for a couple of years. Trying to get a business off the ground is not the time to try and justify multiple rides unless its a motorcycle shop. At this time even the Wee-Strum has some advantages on the NC for my daily ride. The NC would be awesome for me if it was my "around town, grab a gallon of milk" ride and I had my long haul on the rough interstate at speed and yet haul bags full of stuff bike. There is no perfect bike, just the one that gets you closest to mission requirements. I have a list of 6 that would cover any situation I would ever need one for, I just have to make enough to afford all six, insurance and the fact that I would never work a day again because I would be riding ALL of the time

I came this close (holding my thumb 1/4" from my index finger) to getting a new '13 800 Roadie but got the NC instead. Love the little Honda but still wanted that Triumph bad. That sounds like a good price for a lightly used XC since they are about a grand more than the Roadie. I was looking at $10800 out the door for a new Roadie. They were even going to let me test drive it since I had already bought 4 bikes from them, 3 Kawi's and a Suzuki, they just started selling Triumphs recently. I searched everything I could on youtube on the 800 and could never find anything negative on them but I had been wanting a NC every since I test road one back in '12 when they first came out so I went with the NC. If I had test road the 800 triple I may be on something else now. I say go for it and let me know how you like it.

You got to go with what calls to you. I have a friend up north that loves his triple. If Honda would have put the NC engine in XR650L, I would have went that route.

I did not know they had redesigned the Tiger until the International Motorcycle Show (where I consequently fell in love with the NC700X) hit Phoenix. Sat on a 2014 Tiger, and was happy to find I could reach the ground. I'm slightly too short to ride a stock KLR, or big GS. The new body style is very nice, only the price tag kept me from loving it too much. The old ones with the dual round headlights were quite ugly IMO, but to each his own, as I know they are quite well loved by many people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back