• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May/June 2015 Grand Canyon Trip

This trip sounds like a lot of fun. I am trying to figure out if I can make it work. When you guys talk about camping does that include cooking meals? I love to camp, but would rather not have to worry about preparing meals and cleaning dishes. Restaurants are my preference on a trip like this, especially when we are setting up camp each night.
Yes I do use restaurants while riding to my destination, then I usually cook my meals. So if you meet up with me in Southern Kansas we will hit diners on the way-also I like to find places that were featured on TV shows.

Hondabikepro does have the best one. I bought TCI (and like it) just because of funds

I agree with itlives that Hondabikepro has a great unit. However, he did not have one made at the time I got my H&B. The Hepco Becker will take a beating and keep on ticking. I have really tested this unit with no problems.

check out video from rb2nutrb that chestnut added it to a post from wildeone title anyone did longer travels already. It's a 8 min vid thru some of the areas we should be riding.

Just outside the park you can turn down any forest road and find a campsite. It is free and many sites are very nice with fire rings set up by previous campers. Be sure to stop at the ranger station in Kanab and get a fire permit. The may even point you to the best forest road for your camping.

The 160 to Cortez is great after you get about 100 miles past the 25. If you were going to Monument Valley cutting across through Hovenweep from Cortez to 191 is all paved now.

Sounds like fun no matter which route you choose.

Thanks Mike! I ordered a Motor Vehicles Use Map from the Kaibab rangers the other day.
After talking to him, I feel a lot more at ease going up there. They are more like the National Forest up in Arkansas. Pretty easy going as long as one uses common sense - concerning firewood and fires.
I've been all over the place with Google Earth!

Thanks Mike! I ordered a Motor Vehicles Use Map from the Kaibab rangers the other day.
After talking to him, I feel a lot more at ease going up there. They are more like the National Forest up in Arkansas. Pretty easy going as long as one uses common sense - concerning firewood and fires.
I've been all over the place with Google Earth!

The first time we went there I had a small travel trailer. I stopped and talked to the rangers and declined a permit. The ranger told me I could camp anywhere in the forest but to use existing spots and stay off the meadows. Once I set up camp my young daughter told me she wished we could make a fire. It wasn't a hour later that the same ranger came by. The ranger issued a permit on the spot and made my little girl very happy.

We made the trip one year from Hurricane to the North Rim on our dual sports. I am looking forward to doing it again on the 700. Your trip is getting me excited to go. Keep me posted, I maybe able to cross paths with you.

I'm planning to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon next year ('15) in late may or first of June. I know this is not too much notice for a trip like that for some of us. For me , it's originating from Shreveport. Louisiana. All bikes welcome.

More information will be coming as the plans gel. I've already mapped two routes. One route (if no one else is coming) would put me trying the SS1000 on the first day. Then, taking it easy the rest of the trip with 300'ish mile days. I would like to camp at least a couple of days at the canyon. Motels are always welcome at the end of a long day but I will be ready to camp wherever I am.

This is just to see if there might be any interest. Starting points for others don't matter to me, we can always meet somewhere along the way. Or, even people like Stratuner could come from the west and meet up!
If you want to get psyched up watch on youtube-cycles south 1971 motorcycle adventure. It's in 3 parts and it's a hoot!

If you want to get psyched up watch on youtube-cycles south 1971 motorcycle adventure. It's in 3 parts and it's a hoot!

Just got through watching the whole thing. What a blast of politically incorrect, awfully unlawful activities they enjoyed! Makes me want my old 1971 125 Suzuki again!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry, not Kanab. Jacob Lake is where the Forest Ranger Station is located. You go through Jacob Lake coming from the East or the West. It has been a while and was planning to head that way from Bryce Canyon.

You have me back checking routes for this season, Thanks

Tempting but probably not this summer until July which makes Texas miserable to travel through. However a shout from fellow state person any travel plans including the gulf coast for a weekend would be all into that one.

Yeah, that's why I p!anned an early June trip. Hopefully Texas won't be too miserable! Sorry , but got no plans to go south.
I will be headed to Georgia and maybe back up to Deals Gap in the fall. Stay tuned!

Back