• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May/June 2015 Grand Canyon Trip

banjoferg and rjcrtc-> some things to see along the way mesa verde nat'l park, hovenweep nat'l monument, valley of the gods road, MOKI DUGWAY, and monument valley. How about checking for camp sites on freecampsites.net for our ride. I'll be riding I44 to Joplin where would a good meeting place be? PM contact numbers and let me know what spots you know about and would like to see, I'm open for suggestions. plan is US160 to cortez,co then any/all of the above to the NR of the GC and meeting itlives. Any forum riders from the East join in-leaving Pgh,Pa June 2.

I received the Motor Vehicles Use Map of the area. I don't have enough time off to explore!
Google Earth is not as good as I thought. There's TONS of all-vehicle roads out there!
The map is about 3' x 2 1/2' in size.

banjoferg and rjcrtc-> some things to see along the way mesa verde nat'l park, hovenweep nat'l monument, valley of the gods road, MOKI DUGWAY, and monument valley. How about checking for camp sites on freecampsites.net for our ride. I'll be riding I44 to Joplin where would a good meeting place be? PM contact numbers and let me know what spots you know about and would like to see, I'm open for suggestions. plan is US160 to cortez,co then any/all of the above to the NR of the GC and meeting itlives. Any forum riders from the East join in-leaving Pgh,Pa June 2.

You've done some homework! I really like the places you've mentioned here, but will dig in more, especially for some places to camp. As far as meeting in Joplin, there's a Steak n Shake on the NE corner of I44 and 71. Not sure what time of day you'll be there, but if we need refueling or food it's pretty easy access. You should have my number via PM, and I've got yours too.

Hey guys, only 18 days for me - less for some- until the "Grand Adventure".
I would like to get everyone's phone number via a PM. just in case of delays and such.
I will pm everyone with mine. My plans are to be at the North Rim around midday on the 8th.

I have two others coming with me from Louisiana.

Shout out to any Arazonites ! Meet up!

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make this trip. Looking forward to another opportunity in the future.

Maybe make a public "glympse" and post that. Everyone can know where you are then.

I'm planning to camp there the evening of June 8 (Monday ) and ride home the next day. I'll post my own glympse for anyone who wants to look in.

My plans have changed.......don't worry, still going!
Both of the people that WERE going, aren't. Reasons why don't matter to me.

Since I'm now riding by myself, I've decided to do the Saddle Sore 1000. I'll be leaving the area around 3-4A on the 6th. If I go all the way, I'll stop in Flagstaff. That will be 1,163 miles. The farthest I've been ever in a day was 660 miles. I did that on the NC. I'm taking the Super Tenere for this trip. Gotta see how super it is.

My route- I-20W to 820 loop around Fort Worth to highway 287N to Amarillo and hop on I-40W.
I-40 goes straight to Flagstaff. Pretty simple.

Don't know if I mentioned it here or not but I've talked to a Ranger up in JacobLake. He said he'll go out and check the roads to see if the bikes can make it to a place I found called Crazy Jug Point if I contact him the day before.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...0x873359b8f23ea51f:0xa0b909c466f2e6ef!6m1!1e1
Latitude : 36.427313
Longitude : -112.403676
Elevation : 7440 ft.
HeavyH - Don't know how long you were going to stay - or just ride up and back - but I'll text you from wherever I stay in Flagstaff.

Stoked!

itlives, be safe on your iba ride. I am confident you will make the run with no problem. Have a great vacation to all taking the trip, maybe this blasted rain won't follow you. I heard our area has already had the same amount of rain this year as all of last year.

HeavyH - Don't know how long you were going to stay - or just ride up and back - but I'll text you from wherever I stay in Flagstaff.

I planned to do a ride up and back.....

K . I'll be there on the 7th if all goes well with the SS1000. I'll get in touch. Btw- I got Glympse but I don't have a data plan so it'll only work in a wifi area. I'll just give a Glympse whener I stop.

Supposed to meet Stratuner on the 7th at the Coconino Nat Forest camp grounds just north of Flagstaff. Another free site here's the link with coordinates
Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!

Crazy Jug Point

Less than a week!

I've got all the coordinates in my GPS...I've got the air mattress out and full to make sure it doesn't leak....
The gear is still all together from that last outing to Amarillo..

I'm camping at the meeting place on the Sat 6 June so I don't have to do the whole ride from home to Crazy Jug in one day.
Crazy Jug is definitely "out there".... which is a both good and bad. Good because you can camp just about anywhere near it, and bad because your plan "B" hotel is a looonnnggg way away!

I'm looking forward to this... pictures to follow if all goes well.

Just got back from this camp ground...... plenty of spots.....

By "this" campground, you mean the Coconino?

Strats - there's another camping arera just 5 miles north of the north rim. It's on Forest Road 22. It's also free.
It may be a better place to stage from for those of us spending a few days there. I think I would like a place to drop all the gear and go out without all the weight on the bikes. Something for the others to consider. I'm open. I'm going to be having a blast no matter!
I planned out my SS1000 tonight. Got all the coordinates, times and miles written down. Now to go to my GPS downloaded program and see if I can put all the info in.

By "this" campground, you mean the Coconino?

Strats - there's another camping arera just 5 miles north of the north rim. It's on Forest Road 22. It's also free.
It may be a better place to stage from for those of us spending a few days there. I think I would like a place to drop all the gear and go out without all the weight on the bikes. Something for the others to consider. I'm open. I'm going to be having a blast no matter!
I planned out my SS1000 tonight. Got all the coordinates, times and miles written down. Now to go to my GPS downloaded program and see if I can put all the info in.

I'm flexible... and will go with the flow. That's part of why we call it adventure... plans change. New things happen.
Me and my camera are looking forward to the grand canyon views...

It was great meeting you (and gaknc770x and Banjoferg).
Our one night was a great download time for me. You are real now and not just a name on a board! (As are the others).

It's been rainy here in Pa since I've been home. Glad I made it home early instead of fighting that storm coming ashore in Texas now. Definitely try for The Canyon again! Learned alot from Banjoferg and itlives that's why it's important to meet up with others from our forum.

Hey George, it's been raining off and on here in Louisiana , too. I think I showed you guys a picture of the water coming up from the Red River behind my shop.
It wound up flooding my daughters' car up to the seat bottoms. Got 1 1/2 feet up on my shop (which is 4' above that).
Daughters' car is junk now....

Last edited:
Back