• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mesh pants and strong overpants that work for you

• Thread starter Deleted member 5383
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5383

I'm totally satisfied with my Joe Rocket ALTER EGO 3 jacket as a basis for all-season riding along with the proper underlayers. The armored mesh jacket when it's hot makes it possible to enjoy fairly rigorous off-road riding and in-town slow stuff, and everything else is positively a breeze. The tough overjacket is truly waterproof in prolonged drenching and doesn't flap when it's really gusting or at speed, and vents well. The tradeoffs of pocket size and location suit me well.

For pants I'm set for off-road brutality with Klim Dakars, most often combined with full-length Dainese armored underlayer that breaths well. the two together can be a bit hot when the riding is more techincal and it's hot out, but the protection is worth it. For me that Dainese layer actually works great with whatever street pants as well. It gives me armor that stays in place isn't bulky and doesn't chafe -- though abrasion resistance is a separate issue.

But for another pants set, I'd like to build a layered approach, with a mesh pant with that has good hip and not just knee armor, that I can wear with hiking shorts and that comes off without removing boots. Similarly, I'd like an overpant that is exceptionally durable and waterproof (the waterproof underlayer idea many have done is a pain, doesn't insulate as well either, though its more compact). Again, ease of adding and removing is a plus. I thought I'd see what people here have found that works for them -- and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Scorpion Trey overpants. Seems to vent well in the heat, knee and hip armor standard, waterproof removeable under layer. Zips go all the way to the hip on both layers so ingress and egress is a snap. Sizing is a bit weird, ended up with a size larger than I thought. I can wear over jeans or cargo shorts.

I'm thinking about Olympia Airglide 4's now, as their waterproof layer can go over or under.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have Olympia mesh pants and another waterproof pair, Ranger 3 I think.
Both work. The hip armor is too low and not adjustable, but I fixed it with some Velcro.

A lot of ones I've looked at so far don't have anything at the hip, or just foam that doesn't have even low CE certification : \

Liners? Weather changes a lot around here. Having to take pants off to add or subtract them sounds like a pain in the keister, and I think there are some other disadvantages as well. But it's cheap to do it that way. Something that is set up so that it can be used externally to me is definitely a step up even if it wears out more quickly than something built to be external of at least 600 denier.

I don't think they make a mesh pant that is waterproof without a liner, not sure how that would work since mesh would just allow water through. I use a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion pants that I love. They zip all the way up so you can put them on over jeans while wearing boots. They come with CE knee and hip armor and provide good protection while also allowing airflow. They would also zip directly to your alter ego jacket.

What works for me in the summer months is to wear a pair of breathable Frog Toggs pants over mesh pants with an underlayer of short or long pants in a light moisture wicking fabric. My current pair of mesh pants are Tourmaster Air. They came with a removable liner but I never used it - it is very hot and doesn't allow humidity out. When I'm riding in changeable weather months of spring and fall I can slip the Toggs over mesh on cool mornings to cut the wind that would otherwise make the mesh pants not warm enough. In a few hours the rain pants come off when it warms up.

I don't think they make a mesh pant that is waterproof without a liner
See, what I was aiming at as if not purchased as a set, I can always MAKE a set -- not using a liner approach but instead a waterproof outer pant, preferably on that's tougher higher denier. That part need not even be motorcycle specific either. Or buy a total solution like the Olympia Airglide 4.

I use a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion pants that I love. They zip all the way up so you can put them on over jeans while wearing boots. They come with CE knee and hip armor and provide good protection while also allowing airflow.
Those are definitely in consideration.

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions thus far.

See, what I was aiming at as if not purchased as a set, I can always MAKE a set -- not using a liner approach but instead a waterproof outer pant, preferably on that's tougher higher denier. That part need not even be motorcycle specific either. Or buy a total solution like the Olympia Airglide 4.

OK I see, I have used a pair of frog toggs over my phoenix ion pants and that worked pretty well.

I know some of the cheaper Frogg Toggs are not very durable and spring crotch/seat leaks from sliding around on the seat. Probably the case with cheap rain suits in general, and even better ones seem to eventually wear out.

A lot of ones I've looked at so far don't have anything at the hip, or just foam that doesn't have even low CE certification : \

Liners? Weather changes a lot around here. Having to take pants off to add or subtract them sounds like a pain in the keister, and I think there are some other disadvantages as well. But it's cheap to do it that way. Something that is set up so that it can be used externally to me is definitely a step up even if it wears out more quickly than something built to be external of at least 600 denier.

Aerostich sells hip, chest and back armor that you can add to any suit. The brand new unused hip pad armor I bought on Ebay for my new-to-me one piece came with enough Velcro to attach to any suit you have.

I know some of the cheaper Frogg Toggs are not very durable and spring crotch/seat leaks from sliding around on the seat. Probably the case with cheap rain suits in general, and even better ones seem to eventually wear out.
They do all these things but still they work better for me than other solutions. I've bought two pair of Frogg Toggs in 12 years. 12 years ago I bought a nice pair of overpants but only used them a few times. They'll never wear out because they have been folded up in storage for 11 years. What size are you? They might make good sense for you.

They do all these things but still they work better for me than other solutions. I've bought two pair of Frogg Toggs in 12 years. 12 years ago I bought a nice pair of overpants but only used them a few times. They'll never wear out because they have been folded up in storage for 11 years. What size are you? They might make good sense for you.

I agree with this, they aren't the made of the toughest material but they are extremely lightweight, and are able to be folded up really tight as to not take a lot of room in the frunk. Of course I live in a climate that doesn't see a lot of rain and if rain is in the forecast I don't usually take the bike.

Armor is easy to come by. Pockets to hold hip armor are missing on some products however, and I don't think anybody is putting a pocket in for coccyx/tailbone armor.

Armor is easy to come by. Pockets to hold hip armor are missing on some products however, and I don't think anybody is putting a pocket in for coccyx/tailbone armor.

The mesh overpants I use came with pockets for the hips with the cheap foam in them but that was easy to replace.

For the tailbone I've got a HitAir airbag vest. When inflated it covers the tailbone. It also provides a cushion around chest and back. Further it supports the helmet to help prevent neck injuries.

Ended up after much research and store hopping going with (surprise) Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion. got a good not-too-baggy fit that works with street pants, shorts, or just skivvies under them. The materials are heavy duty (better than some more expensive choices to be frank) yet their mesh passes lots of air, available in a light grey which is cooler than black, and the armor is better than many have stock. No butt pockets which never made sense to me on a MC, just deep front pockets that work well -- and no zip-off legs which never have worked that well for me save for my REI hiking pants. Well constructed (they stopped using two snaps awhile back so that problem is solved), work well with my Perry Hook suspenders, feel right with the adjustable knee armor positioning. Six rides on WR250R and NC, between 66F and nearly 100F, I'm totally happy. I feel comfortable on or off the bikes with them : }

Back