Messing up with DCT...

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I remember here on the Forum is stated several times that messing up with sprockets and tire sizes can mess up the DCT.
When you say "mess up", does it mean DCT will just not work properly or it can be damaged?

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Reaction score
Visit site
No, you won't 'damage' anything but why even contemplate changing the OEM configuration? You're only inviting problems by changing anything.
I take my 2020 vehicle to the dealer for everything. I'm retired airline mechanic, growing up with carbureted engines and did all my vehicle maintenance.
When in for a computer update (recall) they also did an oil change, tire rotation; my time the only cost. Motor vehicle computerization has eliminated the DIY owner.

I take pride in a vehicle that runs smoothly and quiet. But now I'm showing my age.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I remember here on the Forum is stated several times that messing up with sprockets and tire sizes can mess up the DCT.
When you say "mess up", does it mean DCT will just not work properly or it can be damaged?
If the tolerance between expected transmission main shaft speeds, wheel speed, and road speed is exceeded because of gearing and/or tire size changes the DCT goes into limp mode and will not shift out of 1st gear. You don't damage the transmission itself.

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, you won't 'damage' anything but why even contemplate changing the OEM configuration? You're only inviting problems by changing anything.
I take my 2020 vehicle to the dealer for everything. I'm retired airline mechanic, growing up with carbureted engines and did all my vehicle maintenance.
When in for a computer update (recall) they also did an oil change, tire rotation; my time the only cost. Motor vehicle computerization has eliminated the DIY owner.

I take pride in a vehicle that runs smoothly and quiet. But now I'm showing my age.
No, I don't plan to do anything. Just wonder...
Although, I'm using Shinko o705, not Honda's "original" size because it doesn't exist, but the difference is miniscule...

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the tolerance between expected transmission main shaft speeds, wheel speed, and road speed is exceeded because of gearing and/or tire size changes the DCT goes into limp mode and will not shift out of 1st gear. You don't damage the transmission itself.
:)

Thanks Dave.