• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

mikethebike

mikethebike

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike is NC700x DCT and when accelerating fairly hard it sticks in 3rd, 4th or 5th but will not change up to the next gear. No problem when driving sedately. The computer print out showed no problem and i am told that the wrong sprocket was used. This could be on account of the VIN number which is for a manual but mine is the DCT. The sprocket at present is 16/43 but should be 17/36. Can this be the problem and why. i am battling to get my mind around this.

Bike is NC700x DCT and when accelerating fairly hard it sticks in 3rd, 4th or 5th but will not change up to the next gear. No problem when driving sedately. The computer print out showed no problem and i am told that the wrong sprocket was used. This could be on account of the VIN number which is for a manual but mine is the DCT. The sprocket at present is 16/43 but should be 17/36. Can this be the problem and why. i am battling to get my mind around this.

I don’t know about the South Africa models, but in North America, 17/36 is definitely not a stock sprocket combination for DCT or manual.

36 is VERY small for a rear sprocket: the smallest I've seen stock on any bike is 38.

Here in the US, stock gearing for a normal transmission is 16/43 and for DCT 16/39. I'm seeing that the later DCTs were 17/39.

I thought I'd read of people changing the gearing on DCTs without a problem but I could be remembering wrong.

By way of feedback i had the rear sprocket replaced and confirm it is 17/39 and now my gears work ok but rpm at say 120kph is some 500 higher with heavier fuel consumption. What the garage could not explain was that for about 12000 km all worked 100% and with the sprocket it had, whatever that was. I am told there is nothing that they can do. Now i know i am an old fart, nearly 70, but now i must go ever slower. Still, better than walking and o love it!

By way of feedback i had the rear sprocket replaced and confirm it is 17/39 and now my gears work ok but rpm at say 120kph is some 500 higher with heavier fuel consumption. What the garage could not explain was that for about 12000 km all worked 100% and with the sprocket it had, whatever that was. I am told there is nothing that they can do. Now i know i am an old fart, nearly 70, but now i must go ever slower. Still, better than walking and o love it!

When you accelerate hard, the bike will stay in the lower gear longer. I sometimes just paddle shift if I think its taking too long to change. When I first got the bike I rode in economy (D mode, but I now use S mode. Like it better.

Back