• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mileage

The petcock reserve system was not infallible. Assuming your petcock was located on one side of the tank, when you got down to the level of the main pickup tube, leaning the bike left and right would slosh more fuel into the main upper pickup tube. Aggressive weaving or curvy road riding kept sloshing fuel in the carbs, even though when the bike was level the fuel was below the main level. When you finally had to switch the petcock over to reserve, there was less fuel left in the tank than you realized. I ran out of fuel one time in the '80s in the boonies because of this. I was able to borrow some from my riding buddie's tank.

The NC display flips back and forth between bars due to the fore/aft level of the tank. Braking or going downhill lowers the readout. Accelerating or going uphill raises the readout level. The position of the sender and the odd shape of the tank is probably the cause of this behavior.

I don't know - my 2017 has a reserve counter that starts at 0.0L used and it goes up as I use the litres and I know it has 3L from the owners manual... then at the same time also shows me how many km's I used on the 'reserve' fuel.

My distance per tank full can vary greatly. My 2012 NC can get 73 mpg on back roads just putting around, but when I load it up heavy and hit the X-way at high speed and in a headwind it can drop to 53.8 mpg. That's over a 19 mpg difference. Factory saddlebags, Givi top box and Honda tall windshield.

LSDPoet:

The most I have gone on a tank is 262.4 miles before stopping to fill up.
My miles per gallon that tank was 81.25.
That tank I kept the RPMs down at 3K and lower.
I will target around 260 miles to refuel.
At that MPG I could have possibly hit 300 miles for the tank.
But once the last nub on the fuel gauge starts to flash, though my mind says I can get another 70 plus miles, my heart says "Your going to run out of fuel!!!"
I do have an MSR 30 ounce fuel bottle to take with me in the event of running out - when I remember to bring it with me.

Some thoughts ...

God bless!!

Michael

greenboy:

That is because you are having too much fun running around those back mountain roads and trails of Montana!
We have some of those but nothing like what you have, I am sure.
I always make sure I have enough fuel to go to the mountains or stay in a region there are stations if letting the tank drain down more.
You need OCR's fuel carrying system!

God bless and stay safe on those green mountains greenboy!!

Michael

Back