• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

mileage

My NC700x may get a few more mpg if I ever would change the oem air filter (yea, I know!) and the oem plugs....I have the plugs in the tool box at home,,,but too hot and lazy lately to do it....got to convince myself to take all that tupperware off to get to the air filter...my 2009 g650gs which I traded, it was a 10 minute job...my c50 boulevard, it is a 5 minute job (including getting out the tools)....
And my Goldwing was a 3 hour job the first time. And I know how to wrench.

Yeah I've been wondering about the air filter. I usually replace the air filter immediately when I buy a vehicle. I have surprisingly seen some bad things said about the K&N NC700 filter on this forum. I am pretty sure there is a Youtube video on how to change it. The manual says take it to the dealer...lol. Any thoughts from the forum folks is appreciated.

Yeah I've been wondering about the air filter. I usually replace the air filter immediately when I buy a vehicle. I have surprisingly seen some bad things said about the K&N NC700 filter on this forum. I am pretty sure there is a Youtube video on how to change it. The manual says take it to the dealer...lol. Any thoughts from the forum folks is appreciated.
It would be odd to trust a motorcycle manufacturer's ability to build a reliable chassis, engine, and transmission, but doubt their ability to choose a proper air filter.

No one has reported any problems using the OEM filter in the 9 years I've been on the forum.

On a NEW vehicle? Just out of curiosity, why?
Sorry...I meant a used vehicle that is new to me. The OEM air filter in a brand new vehicle is ok for a while. A lot of people just do not pay attention to their air filter. That's why I usually replace them very soon after I buy a used vehicle. My NC700X is a 2012, and there were only 2654 miles on it when I bought it. It's safe for a while (the air filter), especially since changing the AF on a NC700 appears to be a pain in the a**.

Sorry...I meant a used vehicle that is new to me. The OEM air filter in a brand new vehicle is ok for a while. A lot of people just do not pay attention to their air filter. That's why I usually replace them very soon after I buy a used vehicle. My NC700X is a 2012, and there were only 2654 miles on it when I bought it. It's safe for a while (the air filter), especially since changing the AF on a NC700 appears to be a pain in the a**.
The manual recommends air filter replacement at 12,000 miles. I do mine at 24,000 miles and it hardly looks dirty. It depends on your riding environment. The filter looks large to me relative to the engine displacement.

It would be odd to trust a motorcycle manufacturer's ability to build a reliable chassis, engine, and transmission, but doubt their ability to choose a proper air filter.

No one has reported any problems using the OEM filter in the 9 years I've been on the forum.
Ok, 670cc...thank you. I now know that there is no good reason to upgrade the air filter in my NC700X when it (according to the manual) needs replaced. For what it's worth, my background in engineering is one of the reasons why I like Honda products so much and I admire and respect their design and engineering teams as much as I do.

I bought my 2012 this spring with only 2100 miles on it. My OCD kicked in and I wondered if maybe since the this bike sat for long periods that a critter had gotten in there and eaten holes in the filter. I can't recall if it was on this forum or Youtube there's a video or a step by step photos of the process. Anyhow it is kind of a pain to change. Not as bad as a Goldwing but shouldn't be this involved. By the way my filter looked new so I'll check it again around 24K.

I bought my 2012 this spring with only 2100 miles on it. My OCD kicked in and I wondered if maybe since the this bike sat for long periods that a critter had gotten in there and eaten holes in the filter. I can't recall if it was on this forum or Youtube there's a video or a step by step photos of the process. Anyhow it is kind of a pain to change. Not as bad as a Goldwing but shouldn't be this involved. By the way my filter looked new so I'll check it again around 24K.
670cc mentioned that it was a large filter (which is good) and consensus of opinion is just don't worry about it...it's a good filter and it's a big filter...and they aren't easy to change. I'll dig into when the manual says it's time. And, by the way, what is it with these NC700's that are almost ten years old with barely broken in mileage on them? Mine is a 2012, and had 2654 miles. Do some people buy them and then just really hate them? I love mine!

I wish that it wasn't made out to be some huge complicated job and cause such anxiety to put it off or delay it unnecessarily. It should take someone taking their time about an hour to do this job. If it's done at 12000 or 24000 miles it's hardly an effort worth getting worked up over.

670cc mentioned that it was a large filter (which is good) and consensus of opinion is just don't worry about it...it's a good filter and it's a big filter...and they aren't easy to change. I'll dig into when the manual says it's time. And, by the way, what is it with these NC700's that are almost ten years old with barely broken in mileage on them? Mine is a 2012, and had 2654 miles. Do some people buy them and then just really hate them? I love mine!
Not just these bikes...I work with a guy with a 2007 Goldwing, he bought new....has less than 4000 miles on it....my 2007 Suzuki C50 I bought in Oct 2007 has 102,000+ miles...while my 2013 NC700x I bought new in July 2013 has 62,000+ miles...

I believe the it was the K&N oil filter that caused discussions.

Not just these bikes...I work with a guy with a 2007 Goldwing, he bought new....has less than 4000 miles on it....my 2007 Suzuki C50 I bought in Oct 2007 has 102,000+ miles...while my 2013 NC700x I bought new in July 2013 has 62,000+ miles...
The buyer lays it down once and gets scared away, maybe. Not sure, but it opens up opportunities for riders. At any rate, I'm delighted to have mine.

I wish that it wasn't made out to be some huge complicated job and cause such anxiety to put it off or delay it unnecessarily. It should take someone taking their time about an hour to do this job. If it's done at 12000 or 24000 miles it's hardly an effort worth getting worked up over.
Well, regardless of how long it takes, I'll replace it when it is required. But at least I know to allow some time to get it done. And, sorry if my questions caused a disturbance. I just got the NC700X a few weeks ago and I'm trying to learn about it. I do my own work when I can. When I can't, I talk my youngest son into it. If he says it's over his head, I know a good mechanic 15 minutes away. Thanks to all...

Well, regardless of how long it takes, I'll replace it when it is required. But at least I know to allow some time to get it done. And, sorry if my questions caused a disturbance. I just got the NC700X a few weeks ago and I'm trying to learn about it. I do my own work when I can. When I can't, I talk my youngest son into it. If he says it's over his head, I know a good mechanic 15 minutes away. Thanks to all...
Hey your questions raise no problem with me and I was talking in general not about you. I think the NC is very easy to maintain and the complaining about the air filter is beyond me.

I think the NC is very easy to maintain and the complaining about the air filter is beyond me.
Anyone who owns a V-Twin will complain about the amount of time and effort it takes to change the NC's air filter.
I would too.
But as you well know, changing the NC's air filter compared to your Goldwing's is a pleasant walk in the park.
It's all relative.

Anyone who owns a V-Twin will complain about the amount of time and effort it takes to change the NC's air filter.
I would too.
But as you well know, changing the NC's air filter compared to your Goldwing's is a pleasant walk in the park.
It's all relative.
I get your point but if I didn’t own a Goldwing it would still take an easy hour. I owned two V twins and two V fours. I didn’t own the V twins long enough to change the air filter.

I have actually never seen it done in person....I am always leery of my mechanic skills (low) on doing anything unless I actually see it done (videos dont count)....I put off bleeding the brakes forever until I saw it done and now it is easy peasy.....I am going to change the plugs this weekend though....and then go look at the Royal Enfield Meteor 350 (wish Honda would bring the Hness here though).....

I have actually never seen it done in person....I am always leery of my mechanic skills (low) on doing anything unless I actually see it done (videos dont count)....I put off bleeding the brakes forever until I saw it done and now it is easy peasy.....I am going to change the plugs this weekend though....and then go look at the Royal Enfield Meteor 350 (wish Honda would bring the Hness here though).....
If I remember right the airbox top has 6 screws. On a 2012-2015, you pull off the fake duct covers, the top bridge (enough to pull aside) and the battery box cover. There is one connector to unhook. With a long JIS cross point screwdriver you can access the captive screws, then remove the cover. It's surely less work than checking valves.

Thanks to all for the input. I checked my mileage again today...second fill up...I got 74.5 mpg. That's outstanding. And I don't see the price of gas going down over the long haul. My Tacoma gets about 20.

Back