• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modding Luggage to add in tie down anchors?

ttttrigg3r

Reaction score
Visit site
I have on my bike the Honda Top box and Panniers. Great for storage, but it does take away my spot for when I need to strap down a bulky item like my backpack, cardboard boxes, guitar, etc. I'm thinking of drilling into my top box and installing D ring anchors like these:
1/2 in. Forged Cargo D-Ring Anchor
Before I do that, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has seen/done this before.

I use Rok Straps, and I want to be able to strap something down right behind my OEM top box. That's ultimately what I'm asking.

I don’t have oem luggage as you saw but google footman loops as another alternative to the D rings. I would just make sure you reinforce on the other side with pieces of metal. Would love to get one of these upper racks by Shad or Givi but prices seem pretty steep for what they are.

SHAD Top Rack for SH45 - SH46 - SH48 - SH49 - SH50
– SHAD USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t done that before but one question comes to mind, being a little picky about looks, are the HF units stainless steel or chromed? Probably not. You might look for something similar used in the marine world, and it might hold up better over time. Even my local hardware store sells simple marine loops that screw down with stainless screws, like some that would hold down Bimini top straps.

16859FFE-2D03-459E-9C27-266AE9C358AE.jpg

61E08E25-D040-428F-B036-83260203082C.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a cheap hardware solution. What metal should I be looking at? SS shouldn't rust right?

Stainless steel will not rust. Galvanized steel will not rust but doesn’t look very pretty. Zinc plated steel will look ok for awhile but eventually will by rusty. Brass or aluminum won’t rust but won’t be strong enough. Winner: stainless steel.

Last edited:
I've used 1/4" x 20 stainless eyebolts for this purpose in the past. The 47 liter top box I use on the NC has two of these in the front side so I can tie stuff up against the top box.

Back