• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mold release agent?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a new tire put on, shinko 009 at the recommendation of the folks here, and the dealer told me to be extra careful for the first hundred miles as there is some kind of slickness on the outside of the tire. I’m assuming this would be mold release agent from the factory but can anyone confirm if this is something I need to worry about? What steps do you all take when getting new tires broken in?

I've read that mould release is no longer used, but that could be internet lore. Some guys wash their new tires with alcohol. Personally I just go out and ride, increasing lean angle as the miles roll up, but dont worry much about it after an afternoon of riding.

Last edited:
I've read that mold release is no longer used, but that could be internet lore. Some guys wash their new tires with alcohol. Personally I just go out and ride, increasing lean angle as the miles roll up, but dont worry much about it after an afternoon of riding.
Good call. Thank you. I’ve heard the release agent isn’t used anymore with but that’s hard to know if true.

I think mold release has become internet lore, as the Ferret suggested. However it is still advisable to go easy on the tires for a hundred miles or so for the traction surfaces to rough up. For entertainment value, there are plenty of videos of riders crashing in the dealer parking lot from over zealous riding on new tires.

I've read that mold release is no longer used, but that could be internet lore. Some guys wash their new tires with alcohol. Personally I just go out and ride, increasing lean angle as the miles roll up, but dont worry much about it after an afternoon of riding.
^^^^^ This. Some tires appear to have a coating or something but I just do like Ferret for 50 miles or so.

Both Bridgestone and Michelin (the two I checked) recommend caution and 'Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.'
So whatever the reason they still believe in a break in period.

There's also the concern that hard acceleration or braking could slip the tire on the rim. Tire mounting lube may still be wet between the tire beads and the rim but this concern is probably a hold-over from the days of tubed tires that could tear the valve stem when the tire slips on the rim.

Off the top of my head, with no official sources to back it up, and potentially completely made up:
1) There may (or may not) be mold release agent to scrub off [sounds like it's unlikely]
2) There may (or may not) be some preservative coating put on to prevent the tires drying out on the shelf [completely made up, so very unlikely]
3) New rubber is smooth, rougher surfaces may (or may not) provide better grip
4) New tires will behave different to old tires, even the same make/model

Even without any coatings to scrub off (and it seems likely there are none) it's still wise to take it easy until the tires are worn in a bit and you get used to their performance.

A member on advrider did some outreach to manufacturers and the responses are below. I copied and pasted...no direct knowledge and take it for what it may or may not be worth. I think it is credible.

Dunlop:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle tire questions. Dunlop Motorcycle Tire does NOT use a "mold releasing agent" during the production of our tires. When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the feel of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve optimum road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use.

Be sure to check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after the tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new tires will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New tires, mixing a new tire with an used tire, and mixing tread pattern
combinations require careful ride evaluations.
Pirelli:
Hello

Pirelli does not use mold release. Tires are shiny because the general buying public demands that visually a tire look cool, smooth, shiny, and new when they shop for tires in the rack at the dealer. We rely on the smoothness of the mold to get this appearance and to help the tire let go from the mold during production.

I like to say tires are like new shoes, MX boots, or a leather jacket as they need the proper break in time. Regarding getting heat into tires this follows the same idea, only time and friction will put the heat in. I have attached a copy of the brochure so you can read about break in suggestions in the technical area. Ride safe

US Pirelli Moto
Additional quote from Pirelli management:
First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."
Michelin's response indicates that they do indeed use an agent although I have never experienced this 'catastrophic grease' when riding away on a brand new Michelin
Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Concerning your question, Michelin has a mold release agent on all motorcycle tires. This will cause the tire to be slippery in the first few miles, but that goes away after the tire is scrubbed in. This normally occurs in the first 25-50 miles or so. Until then, the rider should use caution in riding the tire at accelerated speeds. Michelin always recommends obeying the speed limits and using care whenever riding.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
Continental:
TractionSkin provides an extremely safe and short tire break in. This is possible due to the revolutionary raw tread surface, which is the result of a new mold coating technology which eliminates the need for tire-release agents.

Back