• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Moonshine Lunch Run, 2015

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
img_2989.jpg

So this weekend, on basically a spur of the moment decision, I headed out to a tiny location in the middle of the farmland of Illinois. Literally. If I didn’t happen on the coordinates, I would have not made it. That isn’t entirely true, but as of Friday night, it was. Moonshine Store, at the intersection of 2 tiny county roads in the middle of the farmland of middle Illinois. There was not much to look at out there, much like Kansas. The population 364 days of the year is 2. Yep, 2…

img_2982.jpg

I could go into all the history and events and such for the annual run for the Moonburger, but I will let their site give all the information rather than me regurgitating it.

Main Website – Moonshine Lunch Run - Home
History – Moonshine Lunch Run - History
Founder – Moonshine Lunch Run - Terry

img_2976.jpg

img_2973.jpg

My plan was to leave early Saturday morning (7:00 AM) so I could get there before the 12:30 PM cutoff. My actual take off time ended up being 7:20 AM. Close enough. The weather looked good for the weekend, so I was not worrying about that. What I did not anticipate was the fact that, with all the water along the route, the temperature would be a few degrees cooler than what the websites were reporting. And that few degrees made it a VERY cold ride through Indiana. To the point of I didn’t want to stop, but had to a couple times to put my hands on the exhaust to warm them up. The rest of me was fine, just my hands were cold. I made one fuel stop just inside of Illinois across the Wabash river. That was also when I first started noticing the temps increasing as well, so it became a much more comfortable ride. Unfortunately, due to this, I didn’t stop for any photos along the route – just too damn cold.

img_2979.jpg

I ended up getting behind a group of 12 HDs and following them into Moonshine. We arrived there at 10:30 AM (11:30 AM for me, I didn’t take the time change into account when planning). The time change ended up being a good thing, which I will go into later. Even getting there as early as I did, there were bikes lined up along the road I cam in at least a mile back, and there were local kids and adults running shuttle service in and out of the store on golf carts and 4-wheelers. There were already so many people there, it was hard to get an estimate. When I parked (pretty close, actually) and got settled, I got in line for a burger, chips and a drink. I was in and out of line and finished eating within 30 minutes. After I checked out the shirts and stuff, I looked at the line and it was wrapping around the area already.

img_2975.jpg

As I said, it was hard to estimate the number of people and bikes in the area, but the final burger count was over 3000 sold. And not everyone got a burger. It is also hard to show just how many bikes were parked around the area – even with a panorama… These photos do not do it justice. There are more at the bottom of the post. On a side note, I did see 3 other NC700X’s. All gray, but that is OK. We represented. Davidc83 was there but he was on his other bike.

img_2976.jpg

img_2988.jpg

As the afternoon wore down, I got my chair out and sat beside my bike and just watched the bikes roll up and down the roads. As I was at the crossroad, catty-corner from the store, I could see them all as they came in and out. I sipped some water and lounged around soaking up the warm sun in a cool breeze. Damn near went to sleep. I decided to head to the Hammond’s farm and get my tent set up before the chili dinner. It was a quick 15 minute ride out. Well, quick once I got past all the bikes which were STILL parked easily a mile out. I got there around 3 PM and got set up and had time to sit and talk with some of the other riders. There were people as far away as New England and the furthest was from LA at 2049 miles. At 5 (roughly) we headed into Casey, IL for a chili dinner put on by the fire department for charity. Turnout was good and the good was awesome. Once done there, we all went either back to camp or one of the various hotels in the area. We sat around the fire and traded stories and talked for a few hours. I think I went down around 10:30 PM (11:30, remember) and everyone was out by midnight.

img_2985.jpg

img_2971.jpg

The night was chilly, but easily bearable. My only issue, the moon came out about 4am and provided a false dawn, lighting up the area as if the sun was getting ready to come up. Still, slept in until 7am. I move the bike around so the seat and instruments would dry and opened up the tent so the inside of the rain fly could dry out. No rain, just condensation. I had everything up and packed back on the bike by 8:30 AM. Nope, tent was still damp, but I wanted to hit the road and I could dry it when I got home. I said my good byes to the guys who were still there and was on the road by 9:00 AM. And the temperatures were already in the mid 50’s.

The ride home took a little longer than the ride in. There were 2 reasons, 1. I had a headwind the whole damn way, costing me time and gas… 2. I took a different route. I was buzzing along and found myself in Mitchell, IN and decided to stop for gas and lunch and rest for a moment. I was able to drop the jacket liner and swap to my lighter gloves. The day was perfect for riding. I think I got in there at around noon or so. I left out, loving the temperatures. Surprisingly, I didn’t see another motorcycle until I got near Salem, IN. Started seeing more and more as I headed south. Good to see other riders on the roads in such good weather.

I finally pulled into my garage at 2:30 PM. I covered over 500 miles this weekend, longest trip so far. I met a lot of good people, some I know I will see again, some I hope to see again. I am planning on making this an annual trip and take the Friday off as well, as there are events on Friday, too. As usual, I came home with some notes regarding camp setup and use. I need a 2nd pillow and some camp shoes… The riding boots suck to put on in the dead of night…

My only regret was I didn’t get more photos. I will need to change that, but due to the cold on Saturday, the ride was destination-based, and on Sunday, I was tired and there just wasn’t all that much to see, until I got into the Mitchell area, and I already have photos of that area.

Very nice writeup! It was a beautiful day, indeed.

I'll likely go to Moonshine this spring, but on a day they serve 300 burgers instead of 3000!

Last edited:
But it is not just about the burgers...:); I was there and didn't buy one. I did buy a t-shirt and looked bikes (spent about an hour just looking over the slingshot and asking the owner dozens of questions). The Amish homemade pecan pie and ice cream was well worth the ride and that line was only 2 minutes long.

The Slingshot got very mixed reviews all day long. From people oogling over it to others turning up their noses and pretending it wasn't there. For me, it may be fun to drive (not ride) but if I want to go 3 wheels, I will probably go Can-Am Spyders first. It is definitely a neat looking machine, though.

The slingshot is a 3 wheel permanent convertible...Similar to a 'Stallion' 3 wheel convertible but with the 2 wheels inversed of the Stallion.

Yes, I don't quite understand the Slingshot. It is a car with a single rear wheel substituted for a two wheel axle - a car that is intentionally handicapped with less traction and a flimsier final drive (belt). It is in no way a motorcycle or even related to one, although the label in the cockpit says it's classified as a motorcycle in regards to helmet requirements.

It looks to me like Polaris missed the boat on coming up with something totally new, as Bombardier did with the Spyder, so they had to settle for the Slingshot design to try to get some market share.

Last edited:
Don't understand it myself, since Polaris actually owns the CamAm Spyder now. However, 3 wheeled cars has been in production in Great Britain and Europe for decades (those have roofs though). I really want an Elio though, if it ever goes into production (doubt it). The final drive on the slingshot is 2 folder-it does have a camshaft from the transmission back to some type of converter box which changes to belt drive. Good thing about it, you don't have to remove the rear wheel to change out the belt. The plastic panel is removed convering the converter box, a couple of bolts are removed holding the converter box in place, slide the converter box forward, remove the belt (it is totally outside the swing arm)-same way as in changing tension on the belt as it ages.

Don't understand it myself, since Polaris actually owns the CamAm Spyder now.

Really? I see there was talk about all that at times, but I didn't realize there was any sale of one or the other. The BRP site makes no mention of Polaris ownership. You sure? Guess I missed that one.

Last edited:
Back