• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

moonshine run

Sounds like a nice ride, but I will be at Horizons Unlimited Virginia Event at Appomattox.
This event is taking place from Thursday, April 9 to Sunday, April 12, 2015.

I've been to the MLR 2 times, once by myself and the next year the wife rode up with me. Yea, everyone needs to do it at least once.

I've been to the MLR 2 times, once by myself and the next year the wife rode up with me. Yea, everyone needs to do it at least once.
I wanted to go to Moonshine for several years but did not. Too early in the year, too far, too cold, a long way for a hamburger. The year I did go it was out of respect for Terry. I visited his grave instead of meeting the man. There is a moral there. Like OCR is fond of saying..... just get on the bike and ride. There may not be a next year.

I wanted to go, many years ago, when it wasn't well known, but it has grown too large for my taste at this point. I usually ride near the area every 2 or 3 years, I plan to stop the next time whenever I am riding through, but it won't be during the event. I'll have a burger and visit the grave and just enjoy the countryside and think of Terry and all those who are supporting his love of riding.

The wife and I rode the 'Wing to Moonshine last fall and had a good time. We stopped by A. Lincoln's parents grave and old farmstead site on the way home and made a great day of it. I'd prefer to be there at Moonshine with a small crowd; not interested in a big group all at once. I think it's open all year, so why not go now? brrrr

Last edited:
In the background of the MLR is the worthy causes in and near the small town of Casey, IL that benefit from the generous donations of riders that attend the events of MLR. It never was about a hamburger or riding long distances to eat one although that's part of it. One generous man saw a way to help his community and at the same time foster friendships in the riding community. RIP Terry.

I used to live 50 minutes from there in a town called Charleston, IL. Many of you know I geocache and there is one located at the store. I've done the run with my old boss twice. He goes every year or used to anyway. I remember the first time I pulled up there. My first though was, this is it? Little store inthe middle of nowhere and not much else around. Good hamburger too but don't get there after 12 noon.

Deckyon, this would be a good ride to go on, far, but not too far, a good day ride; about a 3 hour ride from my house or 3 hour ride from Palmyra (not too far from Louisville). If the weather is nice, aka, not a cold rain or ice/snow, I plan on going. Last year I rode over but didn't buy a burger (1.5 hour wait in line), but I did buy a t-shirt (the main reason I go anyways). My route would be to cut over to Paoli and connect to US150 (could meet anybody in Palmyra, same US150), ride US150 over to Shoals (nice curvy, hilly road); take US50 over to Loogootee, from Loogootee take US231 N to Bloomfield, on the west side of Bloomfield, take IN54 w to US41/US150, take US41/US150 north to IN154 W, eventually crossing over to Illinois at Hutsonville, take Hwy1 n to E300th (left turn), just north of West York (basically just a sign on the side of the road). This route is 140 miles from Palmyra to the country store. Literally hundreds, if not thousands of bikes parked along the country roads in all 4 directions. FYI: E300th switches from blacktop to gravel to blacktop to gravel to blacktop from Hwy 1 to the country store. The country store is on Central time (1 hr slower than Louisville Ky).

I wanted to go to Moonshine for several years but did not. Too early in the year, too far, too cold, a long way for a hamburger. The year I did go it was out of respect for Terry. I visited his grave instead of meeting the man. There is a moral there. Like OCR is fond of saying..... just get on the bike and ride. There may not be a next year.
The wife and I went while he was still alive. Got to meet him briefly but it was always chaos with people around him all the time. The Friday before all the main activities he always held a cookout at his house in Casey and usually a hundred or more would show up. He had many, many friends. He was younger than me and when I heard he passed away it hit many of us on the ST-Owners site hard, I'm sure you remember. He was a character. Haven't gone back since, it just wasn't the same.
I think he picked that early date originally because it was a challenge, to see how many people would make it and it grew from there. Some of the years the weather was really bad I here. I really can't imagine weather early April in Illinois being from Houston but luckily both times I went it wasn't bad. He always gave long distance awards to the ones that traveled the farthest and me and the wife have a 38th and 39th place award.
My son and I have gone a long trip every year for the last 6 years, last year to Minnesota and Michigan, year before Montana. I treasure those trips with my son because like you are saying there may not be a next year.

I used to live 50 minutes from there in a town called Charleston, IL. Many of you know I geocache and there is one located at the store. I've done the run with my old boss twice. He goes every year or used to anyway. I remember the first time I pulled up there. My first though was, this is it? Little store inthe middle of nowhere and not much else around. Good hamburger too but don't get there after 12 noon.
Sarge, you should know better. What about Oark Cafe? Definitely worth the ride...speaking of, isn't the ride the destination?

I think it's great what Terry has done for this community. It shows what a fantastic person he was and the character he had. I also really like how it all started.. some friends meeting for lunch in a remote location just cuz they could. I wish I'd been at one of the early lunch runs... would have been a really cool thing. I think the current lunch runs are fantastic as well. They are doing a great service and people are enjoying being together as riders.

I'm just one of those people who don't enjoy huge gatherings or big crowds. I've never wanted to go to Daytona, or Sturgis, or any of the bike weeks. The only large gatherings I currently enjoy attending attending are the Horizons Unlimited meets. The ones I've been to have been around 100 people, and I enjoy interacting with them a great deal. It is the highlight of my year. I also love the workshops, and all that I learn there.
The Moonshine Lunch Run is a great thing though, I don't mean to take anything away from it. I think my way of supporting it would be going some other time during the year and buying a T-shirt or hat, that is hopefully available somewhere in the community. I think it would be a really cool thing to even do a lunch run with some friends at a different time... in the spirit of the original lunch run. Maybe this could become a lunch run location (maybe it already is, as others probably have already thought of doing this), that could bring business to this community year round (well maybe not when it's snowing). Maybe we could even begin an annual NCX lunch run of our own?

The wife and I went while he was still alive. Got to meet him briefly but it was always chaos with people around him all the time. The Friday before all the main activities he always held a cookout at his house in Casey and usually a hundred or more would show up. He had many, many friends. He was younger than me and when I heard he passed away it hit many of us on the ST-Owners site hard, I'm sure you remember. He was a character. Haven't gone back since, it just wasn't the same.
I think he picked that early date originally because it was a challenge, to see how many people would make it and it grew from there. Some of the years the weather was really bad I here. I really can't imagine weather early April in Illinois being from Houston but luckily both times I went it wasn't bad. He always gave long distance awards to the ones that traveled the farthest and me and the wife have a 38th and 39th place award.
My son and I have gone a long trip every year for the last 6 years, last year to Minnesota and Michigan, year before Montana. I treasure those trips with my son because like you are saying there may not be a next year.

Last year I saw an Arizona and a Washington State license plate. They come from all over. They now have it setup for a IBA 1000 the day before (or they did last year)-starting in Casey and ending at the store.

I'm just one of those people who don't enjoy huge gatherings or big crowds. I've never wanted to go to Daytona, or Sturgis, or any of the bike weeks.

Maybe we could even begin an annual NCX lunch run of our own?

I agree totally with your comments. I have no interest in mingling with an extremely large crowd, but a smaller gathering on a different weekend is a marvelous idea.

Sarge, you should know better. What about Oark Cafe? Definitely worth the ride...speaking of, isn't the ride the destination?

Apparently you have not rode around central Illinois much. LOL. I say that as a joke but having lived there from 2005 - 2012 there ain't a whole lot to see on the journey unless you like farm land. Either the crops are in and you can't see anything coming at the crossroads or the crops are out and you can see nothing but flatness for miles. With the occasional tree. LOL. I'm not dogging Illinois. I liked it there. I just like Arkansas better.

With the weather forecast looking to be about perfect for Saturday, I am going to head over. I am going to ride to Salem In, then take Hwy 56 to Prospect, In. Take hwy 150 up to Shoals, US50 w over to Loogootee, In; US231 n up to Hwy 58w over to US150, then hwy 154 outside of Sullivan In. Cross the Wabash River over into Illinois, take Hwy 1 N to Country R E300th, then straight to Moonshine. 158 miles from my house over to moonshine. Leaving the house at 8am (7am Moonshine time)-Illinois is on central time. About a 3.5 hour ride each way. If I don't feel like waiting in line for an hour for a hamburger, I will just buy the T-shirt, look at all the bikes (hundreds) and then head home.

Looks like I will be coming to this one. Just signed up, looking forward to it. I will have my camping gear with, in case I decide to stay the night - don't know yet, but I did mark the tick for camping, just in case. Probably wont be leaving Louisville until a bit after 10am. I am planning on running up through Paoli and on past. Dont know - all up in the air at this point. May end up making the ride out for the chilli dinner in the evening, and just take my time getting there.

David, I will shoot you a message when I get up near the area, see where everyone is at.

Last edited:
Deckyon, if you are heading up on Saturday, the official stop time of serving burgers is 1230pm central time, 130pm our time. However, as long as there are people in line, they keep serving. I will stop at least once on the way over, so call me on the cell phone or text me on your way or when you arrive (I may still be there). FYI, if you get on E300th rd from Hwy 1, it is asphalt then goes to gravel then to asphalt, then to gravel, then to asphalt. Gravel usually is hard pack (in years past).

Back