• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

more rack work and saddlebags

Thanks StratTuner.
I use some double sided Velcro material that sticks to itself to keep the bases from trying to creep down. You can see the Velcro ribbon in the pic that shows the bases tilted up.
Also what may not be noticeable is that since I plan on leaving the rear crosspiece on the bike even with the racks removed, there are 2 self tapping sheet metal screws drilled thru the license plate frame right above the license bolts.
These will lock the crosspiece in proper position. Another reason I did that is to prevent scraping the black paint off the PVC as I pull the crosspiece out. As you mentioned, it definitely is a nice snug fit.
I just did a short 75 mile ride along PCH here near Huntington Beach, and the racks were as secure after I got home as when I started. I can't imagine they will ever loosen with use.
:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks StratTuner.
I use some double sided Velcro material that sticks to itself to keep the bases from trying to creep down. You can see the Velcro ribbon in the pic that shows the bases tilted up.
Also what may not be noticeable is that since I plan on leaving the rear crosspiece on the bike even with the racks removed, there are 2 self tapping sheet metal screws drilled thru the license plate frame right above the license bolts.
These will lock the crosspiece in proper position. Another reason I did that is to prevent scraping the black paint off the PVC as I pull the crosspiece out. As you mentioned, it definitely is a nice snug fit.
I just did a short 75 mile ride along PCH here near Huntington Beach, and the racks were as secure after I got home as when I started. I can't imagine they will ever loosen with use.
:cool:

Google "Cook's Corner", and we can meet there. I'll buy lunch.

I'm looking forward to pics of the racks with the bags in place.
You do nice work!

I know Cook's Corner well. It would be great to meet another NCx rider. Haven't met or even seen one yet. We must be rare!
Let me know when you might like to meet up there and since I'm retired and available ALMOST all the time, scheduling should not be an issue.
Send me a PM or however you'd care to contact me and we can make it work.

Nice job - this is just the kind of project I love to do and am lucky enough to have the time to do it. My last diy mod was the rad guard shown below.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/021_zpsabb095e6.jpg

If you costed in the hours it took me, it would have been cheaper to buy one from an aftermarket manufacturer - but I've got more time than money!!

This is great I was thinking of doing something like this and I was trying to ID the proper material. 3/4" PVC seems to do the trick. Did you consider any other material before settling on PVC?
Berndm, can you elaborate a bit more on how you keep the bases in position. I was thinking about eliminating those.

Last edited:
This is great I was thinking of doing something like this and I was trying to ID the proper material. 3/4" PVC seems to do the trick. Did you consider any other material before settling on PVC?

It would be cool to list all the high tech materials I considered and rejected, but I confess I used 3/4" PVC just because that's what I use for sprinklers in my lawn! Nothing "hipper" than that.
Is there something like it (light maybe stronger) I should be thinking about?

The next iteration will have a rear rack. Ideally, the rear rack will be strong enough to support a full topcase but still be removable.
That will take some structural engineering. At the very least, it will give me a place to strap on a full-sized sleeping bag.
(Joke: I'm working my way up to a small sized camper shell!)

Last edited:
I was thinking about 1/2" electrical conduit. But I hadn't put much thought into it, yet. I'm not sure I need the base either but I will reserve judgment on that until I try it. Thanks for great work and posting this.

I went to Home Depot today and picked up a 10ft 3/4" PVC, 16 90-degree elbows and Lowes for 4 crosses and glue. Also settled on some stainless steel screws for backup connection. Think I need to go back for a couple of T's to bisect for the front down tube connection. I've done some PVC but this looks like some real construction. I have a nice set of Fieldsheer bags that I couldn't afford a rack for. These look like the best alternative for under $30. Wish me luck.IMG_0835.jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0836.jpgIMG_0849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
It would be cool to list all the high tech materials I considered and rejected, but I confess I used 3/4" PVC just because that's what I use for sprinklers in my lawn! Nothing "hipper" than that.
Is there something like it (light maybe stronger) I should be thinking about?

The next iteration will have a rear rack. Ideally, the rear rack will be strong enough to support a full topcase but still be removable.
That will take some structural engineering. At the very least, it will give me a place to strap on a full-sized sleeping bag.
(Joke: I'm working my way up to a small sized camper shell!)

Hey Don
I just installed the Givi tailrack that I got at Revzilla for $100.80 shipped, on my NCXD so that I could utilize the Givi topcase I had sitting around the garage. My Givi quick release mounting plate did not align properly to this rack since it wasn't intended for it, but it took very simple mods to make it fit and attach. My PVC side racks will still work perfectly with this tailrack attached, so there will never be a need to remove the tailrack.

Attachments

• 20141017_162329.jpg
    20141017_162329.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 645
  • 20141017_162546.jpg
    20141017_162546.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 646
  • 20141017_162519.jpg
    20141017_162519.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 710
Does anyone have any long term durability feedback for your pvc saddlebag support designs? The concept is great allowing for numerous variations using readily available, inexpensive parts. Good job...

Does anyone have any long term durability feedback for your pvc saddlebag support designs? The concept is great allowing for numerous variations using readily available, inexpensive parts. Good job...

I'm using the same set you saw in the pictures today, and I've had several kinds of bags on them.

I would say the durability is excellent. They're in good shape and still work. If I made another set (no reason to yet), I wouldn't change the design at all.

Is there a photo I can take that would help? A question I can answer?

No questions, the design is great and the discussion was thorough. I'm going to try the pvc idea with Givi WP405 25 Liter Waterproof Side Bags from Revzilla. Dryspec bags are also an option but their availability seems very limited.

No questions, the design is great and the discussion was thorough. I'm going to try the pvc idea with Givi WP405 25 Liter Waterproof Side Bags from Revzilla. Dryspec bags are also an option but their availability seems very limited.

I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Yes, I do. I've had the same set now for about two years. The design didn't change much...just where I strap them down.
I can still get them on/off in 10 min. (easy), and they don't show any sighns of wear.... and if they did, the worn parts would be easy to replace.

I will update this effort with more recent pictures this weekend.

I have had mine on for 3 years and it has been durable. I have a set of soft bags on with no problem. For them the under shelf is really unnecessary. They just dangle despite being strapped to the bags. Some of the joints are screw enhanced but did have to reglue one of the attach arms and then screw enhanced it.

Back