• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motion Pro ForkTRU

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone else have/use a Motion Pro ForkTRU fork alignment tool? I just got one and tried to use it on my NC700 but not with satisfactory results. In order to get the "cups" to set perfectly on the fork tubes, the arms would be "bent" where they connect in the middle. Upon further inspection I see the "cup" on one arm is not perpendicular to the arm, but rather visibly twisted a few degrees. This seems totally wrong, if I understand the proper use of the tool.

I plan to call Motion Pro on Friday to ask about it, but in the mean time just wondered if anyone else had experience with it.

Greg

Agreed if you can set the forks so the axle spins freely by hand then they are aligned. No need for a tool.

There are two possible misalignments with the forks: parallelism, and projection (length). This tool is designed only to assist with parallel misalignment. It is only useful if there is an adjustment that can be made which our bike (and most bikes with conventional forks) lacks. If you install and torque the axle assembly in the correct order, the bottom will be parallel to the top. The manual instructs to bounce the suspension a few times before tightening the left side pinch bolt. That is where it "wants" to be. Forcing it in or out to suit the gauge would place it under load.

The tool is not designed for, or useful for, detecting errors in projection. However, unless you have removed the forks (or loosened the triple-clamp pinch bolts) then the projection adjustment should be fine. If you have removed the forks or loosened the fork clamps, you can get them back in proper relationship by setting the same measurement of projection at the top clamp. You can check it with the test that Hmcp88 mentions. You will likely find that all is well. If you are obsessive-compulsive (like me) you can clamp the rear wheel in the wheel vice of your lift table and place a jack under the engine to support the front. Then you can assemble and torque the wheel and axle and raise and lower the bike using the jack with the clamps loose to obtain the correct upper clamp projection. Then torque the triple-clamp bolts.

I'd return the tool.

Last edited:
Called Motion Pro warranty dept. They have not called back. Sending tool back to seller as defective, return postage is on them.

Magazine articles touted this as a great tool, but after attempting to apply it to my particular model bikes, street and dirt, it looked like it would not serve much purpose. However, I did keep the chain alignment tool that I had also ordered.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greg

Last edited:
Back