• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle.com on Ear Plugs

Since we are the subject, let's slightly shift it to earphones/earbuds.

California has a law in the Vehicle Code, 24700 that states it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle (any) with both ears covered.

I found the amount of the fine for this infraction:

VC 27400 $178 Headsets or Earplugs covering both ears.

Also for failure to wear a helmet:

VC 27803 $178 Violation of motorcycle safety helmet requirements.

Funny how the amount of these fines are exactly the same. Hmm... :confused:
Um, it’s California….

I will +1 also recommend the Etymotic ear plugs. I most recently picked up a pair of ER20XS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM6Q9XW

They offer 20 dB SPL when inserted correctly, and are fairly flat across the frequency spectrum so that you don't have the muffled sound you get with foam earplugs. This lets you still hear things in the environment, hear other cars, but maintain adequate protection. This newest "XS" (eXtra Small) form factor have very short stems, so they don't rub against the helmet liner or get pulled out when you put on / remove your helmet.

I've used EarPeace plugs for a few years -- very comfortable and kill ambient noise while still letting in intercom/music, and I can hear sirens. I'm also wearing a Schuberth C3 Pro which is rated at 85db at 60mph in clear air.

I've used EarPeace plugs for a few years -- very comfortable and kill ambient noise while still letting in intercom/music, and I can hear sirens. I'm also wearing a Schuberth C3 Pro which is rated at 85db at 60mph in clear air.

Are those any better at preventing the low-frequency, high-amplitude noise that comes from things such as turbulence around the helmet, and seems to be significantly augmented, or even created, by having ear plugs that totally shut the ear canal?

Are those any better at preventing the low-frequency, high-amplitude noise that comes from things such as turbulence around the helmet, and seems to be significantly augmented, or even created, by having ear plugs that totally shut the ear canal?
better than the foam ones I used to wear. Low freq rumbling can still be an issue, but I attribute that to transmission through the skull and jawbones as well as the ears, so I don't know that any earplug can eliminate that. These are quite good, IMO, even with my tall touring screen that does create some buffeting right at the top of my helmet.

Reactions: MZ5
Thanks. I saw those in a store here the other day. They intrigued me both because they seemed very expensive for what they appear to be (LOL) and because _maybe_ they offer an advantage to what I typically use.

Although I know perfectly well that my foam plugs (I only wear NRR 31 or higher) are inserted correctly, and that I'm getting super-high attenuation of higher frequencies, I still find that in more recent times I will get a degree of ringing when I'm in a quiet place. I ascribe that to the high amplitude, low-freq noise, so I'm looking for ways to eliminate it. Bone conduction does appear to me to be a significant contributor.
)-:

When I wear earplugs now, and truthfully I don't very often, I use the swimmers silicone ear plugs. Foam plugs make my ear canals ache after awhile, whereas the silicone plugs do not. Had custom plugs molded to my ears about a decade ago and I hated them. They were too effective...could hear my heartbeat and my breathing, but not much else including conversations and road noises. Wore them a few times and threw them away. At 71, shooting guns in my youth, rock-n-roll concerts while in my 20's, and motorcycle riding since 1965 (including racing expansion chambered 2 strokes for 10 years) my hearing is beyond shot anyway. I'm getting good at reading lips and thinking about learning how to sign lol.

When you’re old like me you will wear ear plugs anytime you’re around loud noises. I have tinnitus in both ears (primarily from automatic machine gun fire) and I will do everything and anything to protect what hearing I have left.
Agree-you need to protect your hearing. Tinnitus is the gift that keeps on giving as you listen to the little crickets 24 hours a day. Gunfire, open expansion chambers , and rock n roll take their toll. I always wear molded corded rockets when I’m on my bike. You young bucks need to start wearing hearing protection NOW- you can thank us 2 or 3 decades from now when you still have good hearing

Back