• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle Jargon

While this doesn't look like an acronym I could pronounce, I just ran across this in an article about gear during a Google search of ATGATT. This pretty much describes me, despite some guilt about it: SOTGMTT (Some Of The Gear Most-of The Time)

I got a chuckle as I related to our divided riding cultures because of expectations about what our different "uniforms" should be. Oh, don't you dare wear that full face silver helmet on a Harley, or your flat black half helmet on the NCX. There are rules about these things! :D

Found here: ATGATT ? is it uniform or is it safety? | Bama Rides

I will never forget my first road rash. I was 12 years old, when riding with my best friend, Buddy. It was raining so we were speeding, trying to get out of the rain. At 45th Street and Ave. S, Buddy and I ran our scooters into each other. I was laying in the ditch when this older lady stopped and asked me why we ran into each other. Well, I told the nice old lady that Buddy and I did this at least once a week just so we could practice our ditch flopping.

Buddy and I quickly drove over to his daddy's body shop, as Mr. Sadtler was our guardian angel from our mother's. Mr. Sadtler would drop every thing to repair our scooters before our mother's seen our scooters. This time how ever, we both had road rashes. So, Mr. Sadtler gave us some money to run uptown and get new blue jeans to avoid the raft of our mother's.

When I walked into the front door of my home, I did not see my mother hiding behind the front door. She proceeded to brake a yard stick over my road rash. That was the first time in my life I actually saw stars. You see that nice old lady who stopped when we were in the ditch, was the grandmother of a girl in our class. She called our mother's and was nice enough to tell our mother's about our little accident. Buddy, Mr. Sadtler, and I were all grounded!1.jpg

SmileySwirlyEyes.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
While this doesn't look like an acronym I could pronounce, I just ran across this in an article about gear during a Google search of ATGATT. This pretty much describes me, despite some guilt about it: SOTGMTT (Some Of The Gear Most-of The Time)

I got a chuckle as I related to our divided riding cultures because of expectations about what our different "uniforms" should be. Oh, don't you dare wear that full face silver helmet on a Harley, or your flat black half helmet on the NCX. There are rules about these things! :D

Found here: ATGATT ? is it uniform or is it safety? | Bama Rides

I have to go with both. It is obviously safety but it is also standard. Like a uniform. I'll admit that sometimes I'm lazy and don't wear my pants but for the most part I wear a full suit all the time. I don't even think about it. When I come home from work I place everything in "my spot" in preparation for the next day.

I added your acronym. Thanks

I have to go with both. It is obviously safety but it is also standard. Like a uniform. I'll admit that sometimes I'm lazy and don't wear my pants but for the most part I wear a full suit all the time. I don't even think about it. When I come home from work I place everything in "my spot" in preparation for the next day.

I added your acronym. Thanks

I think the article meant "uniform" in a sense of "something you wear just because your peers who you want to impress all wear it". I believe it also used the word to apply to pirates and their lack of ATTGATT.

There has to be something cultural going on here. The article spoke of peer pressure to either wear or not wear protective gear, and I get the impression that both sides enjoy sneering at the other side. A guy on a Japan-specific riding group I participate in recently said he is about to start riding here but is concerned what gear (and much) to wear....apparently out of a concern of being jeered at or thought a wuss if he suits up. On a camera forum I used to be active in I quite frequently heard complaints (from primarily US posters) about how every time they go out to take pictures it ends up getting ruined by a bunch of brand-specific fanboys who would rather run down each other's gear than take pictures and get along with any heretic who doesn't use the same brand they do. Many joined (and many quit) photo clubs because meetings got ruined by the "build yourself up by tearing others down" crowd who spent the whole time bragging on their gear and ragging on everybody who was different.

I was a bit surprised by these things. I used to be active in a photo club here in Japan, and not only did no one rag on another person's gear, there was practically no mention of gear at all and I could only tell you what maybe one or two out of the thirty plus members used. We talked about the activity, the shared hobby. I ride with a nice bunch here, with all sorts of bikes represented and safety gear ranging from minimal to full leathers. Nobody says a word to each other about their choice of how much or how little to suit up.

I was glad to be able to tell the recent arrival that the nice thing about riding in Japan is that NOBODY is going to laugh at you for wearing safety gear.....nobody is going to question your manhood if you suit up....nobody is going to question your skills or confidence if you suit up. Quite frankly, few are going to notice one way or the other and even fewer are going to give a damn.

I think the article meant "uniform" in a sense of "something you wear just because your peers who you want to impress all wear it". I believe it also used the word to apply to pirates and their lack of ATTGATT.

There has to be something cultural going on here. The article spoke of peer pressure to either wear or not wear protective gear, and I get the impression that both sides enjoy sneering at the other side. A guy on a Japan-specific riding group I participate in recently said he is about to start riding here but is concerned what gear (and much) to wear....apparently out of a concern of being jeered at or thought a wuss if he suits up. On a camera forum I used to be active in I quite frequently heard complaints (from primarily US posters) about how every time they go out to take pictures it ends up getting ruined by a bunch of brand-specific fanboys who would rather run down each other's gear than take pictures and get along with any heretic who doesn't use the same brand they do. Many joined (and many quit) photo clubs because meetings got ruined by the "build yourself up by tearing others down" crowd who spent the whole time bragging on their gear and ragging on everybody who was different.

I guess I should have read the article or atleast woke up a bit before I skimmed over it. I can see this happening though. I used to ride with a large group of sportbike riders in North Carolina back in the early 90's. I can't remember a whole lot of peer pressure to wear or not to wear gear but I do remember being concerned about buying gear that would fit in. That was almost 20 years ago so I imagine things are much different now. I have not rode in large groups for quite some time.

It is sad that people always want to one up each other.

8.jpgYou know I seem to say those same two words every time I go down. Maybe, "Oh Sh*t" should be considered at a standard motorcycle jargon term. I know I seem to use "Oh Sh*t" way too much!

SmileyGooglyEyes.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The word "perch" is a almost exclusive motorcycle term that is left off your list. Racers leave their perch in a lightly firm torque position, that way when you crash it don't break and you are up and still racing. I drop my bike so much, I have my perches only lightly torqued on my NC700. The "perch" is the part that holds your front brake lever and clutch lever and is attached to the handlebar..4.jpg

SmileyMaybe.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The word "perch" is a almost exclusive motorcycle term that is left off your list. Racers leave their perch in a lightly firm torque position, that way when you crash it don't break and you are up and still racing. I drop my bike so much, I have my perches only lightly torqued on my NC700. The "perch" is the part that holds your front brake lever and clutch lever and is attached to the handlebar..

It has been updated

Back