• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle Jargon

I think I have added all the suggestions thus far. If I missed one let me know. If you see something that is incorrect don't hesitate to inform me. I will fix it.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but Checkbook Biker suggests that it's negative to buy a bike/gear this way. I'm not sure how/why. If you don't pay cash it's a bad thing? Can someone explain this one?

Laid it Down - This when there's imminent danger of an accident ahead, or you hit some oil, gravel or other media and you have to lay the bike down on its side. to save yourself.

New definition:
Laid It Down- This is when a rider, in an attempt to avoid an obstacle, fails to brake and swerve properly, loses control of the motorcycle and goes into a low side crash, but calls it an intentional maneuver.

Greg

Laid it Down - This when there's imminent danger of an accident ahead, or you hit some oil, gravel or other media and you have to lay the bike down on its side. to save yourself.

New definition:
Laid It Down- This is when a rider, in an attempt to avoid an obstacle, fails to brake and swerve properly, loses control of the motorcycle and goes into a low side crash, but calls it an intentional maneuver.

Greg

Updated. Thanks

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but Checkbook Biker suggests that it's negative to buy a bike/gear this way. I'm not sure how/why. If you don't pay cash it's a bad thing? Can someone explain this one?

I think it is very close to the same thing as a poser. They are not a real motorcycle enthusiant but they have the money to go drop on a new bike, gear, and whatever else makes them look like a rider. They go purchase everything because it cool and because everyone else is doing it. They are not doing it for the love of riding.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe "Hog" is the term use for a Harley Davidson. Are is this the term for Harley riders? (Harley Owner's Group)6.jpg6.jpg

Smileyreadingbook.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
How about Character? A term coined by the marketing department of a certain Milwaukee based manufacturer meaning "yeah it shakes and vibrates and no we ain't gonna fix it". :)

You mean all that shaking and vibrating isn't on purpose? Dadgummit! I bought a Road King a few weeks ago and it came with a back rest. I've been bragging about this thing's built in back massage that turns on automatically at every stop sign and red light ;) Too bad I don't get to lean back into it more because I'm usually busy trying to find that just right toe tap it takes to find neutral.

I have some good things to say about the Harley - I get the attraction, but I can't help but wonder if part of me wanted it for the opportunities to poke fun at them and the Harley elitist while talking about how much I like my NCX.

If ever a term needed to be coined, it would be something to describe the complete uselessness of a rear view mirror when idling on a Harley. Perhaps 'Earthquake At 6 O'clock' would cover it :D

The entry for "Loner" refers us to an entry which you have overlooked including in your compilation.

I believe "Hog" is the term use for a Harley Davidson. Are is this the term for Harley riders? (Harley Owner's Group)

Hmmm, I've heard Harleys called Hogs for as long as I can remember, but Harley Owners' Group could be right if not an interesting coincidence. Harley is also a publicly traded company that trades on the NYSE under the symbol HOG.

A side bar of interest to few: I used to consort with a small group of traders and we used to say we would rather own the HOG stock than the product. The upward trajectory with the rest of the market since March '09 has been better than average with an '09 low of 7.99 to a close today of 65.44. While the S&P has recently made record highs, HOG hasn't reached it's '06 high of 75.87, but has outperformed Honda Motor Company and trades in much higher volume. Better to own the Honda product, but better to own Harley stock :confused: Seems like a contradiction, but the companies are apples to oranges because Honda does way more than build motorcycles.

My guess is the Harley market is largely driven by baby boomers. "Own a Harley" was and is on the bucket list of many, and like the 60s & 70s muscle cars now bid up by boomers, the attraction isn't for the latest and greatest engineering or speed, but appreciation for the classic Harley platform with a few updates. (Some parts made in China, aside.) In all honesty, perhaps 3 out of 4 of the bikes I see in my area are Harleys. As much as I think I understand the attraction to HOGS, all things considered, the ratio of Harleys to other bikes on the road is hard to understand.

The entry for "Loner" refers us to an entry which you have overlooked including in your compilation.

Good catch Mike. Thanks. There were several slang words that I left out which refer to clubs, gangs, and things of that nature. Loner is part of that category so I removed it.

I believe "Hog" is the term use for a Harley Davidson. Are is this the term for Harley riders? (Harley Owner's Group)

This is how other sites have it list.

H.O.G. - Harley Owners Group. Organization started by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company for owners of its motorcycles.

Hog - Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Bingo, this is correct answer.

Harley-Davidson established the Harley Owners Group (HOG) in 1983 to build on the loyalty of Harley-Davidson enthusiasts as a means to promote a lifestyle alongside its product.

The Harley company started this owners group. They saw how many Goldwing riders had joined GWRRA, and how Harley was losing so many customers to Honda because of this one group. So the company started Harley Owners Group for social interaction between its customes..

Harley's have always been Hogs way before the Harley Owners Group was even a thought.1.jpg

smileySkelton.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
What is the political correct word for a "biker chick" now days?

1. [video=youtube;pnnqQm87KZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnqQm87KZg[/video]

or

2. ChangeMotorcyclist.jpg

Are maybe Both?9.jpg

SmileyButterfly.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Highside - A highsider or highside is a type of motorcycle accident characterized by sudden and violent rotation of the bike around its long axis. This generally happens when the rear wheel loses traction, skids, and then suddenly regains traction, creating a large torque which flips the rider head first off the road.4.jpg

smileyAccident.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Road Rash: A painful and potentially disfiguring skin condition brought on by sudden, violent, and prolonged contact with the road surface. See: "Highside", "Lowside", "Laid it down", "Get-off"...

:cool:

Back