• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle ownership per state (US)

It's surprising that for all the gorgeous roads in Tennesse and western North Carolina, how proportionally few motorcycles are owned by residents there.

I thought more southern states for ownership since more year round riding is available.

Alaska at #10 really surprised me.

I figured them #1 in snow machine ownership and #50 in motorcycle ownership.

It would also be interesting to see how many people own more than one bike as well.

And one of the smallest states as #2!!

God bless!!

Michael

The real number of motorcycle registrations can be found here:

California, Florida, Texas, and Ohio have been the top four for years.

The Number Of Motorcycles By State - WorldAtlas.com

Even though the numbers are from different years (2011 vs 2013), the numbers between the two articles match up very close, so that's good.

The first article ranks by motorcycle per capita; the second article ranks by total motorcycles. The per capita rank in the first article is the more relevant number, IMO, as the second article does not take state population into account.

Last edited:
There is no way to log number of miles ridden per motorcycle. But, according to Powersports Dealernews - The Voice of Powersports Retailers | Dealernews - the average person drives their motorcycle less than 2500 miles per year. How they got this industry given figure, I do not know. So, motorcycles are toys not transportation! If such a list could be, I would bet the NC7 would be high on the list of folks that drove their motorcycle as transportion - to and from work.

Last edited:
That report is from Feb 2014 so is nearly 3-years old. Hardly what I'd call current news.

There is no way to log number of miles ridden per motorcycle.
Odometer mileage is recorded every year when vehicles are registered. Last year's stated mileage subtracted from this years odometer reading will tell you exactly how many miles were ridden in a year.

That's a lame way to rank ownership! People per bike? I'm sure California has the most bikes overall. We have the best weather and the best motorcycle laws. That's why we have a population of 38 million people. Yes, that's a shitload of people, but who the hell wants to live in South Dakota? There's a reason that only 835 thousand people live in that state. It's freezing *** cold, has a strange economy (boom or bust with fracking, currently a bust), there are no mountains, no ocean, and virtually no hills, and except for Mount Rushmore and the Black hills, there is not a lot of cool places to go...and I'm afraid to comment on the population for fear of insulting someone on this forum. I have a friend who is a cop there and he has some really strange stories.

Florida only tracks mileage when title of ownership is transferred to someone new and motorcycles are exempt from this.
it's the same in California for cars and trucks. Has a box to put mileage but you only do that when transferring title and no-one verifies the mileage. I can't remember if I did that when buying my motorcycle or not, I've only had one in my name

Last edited:
That's a lame way to rank ownership! People per bike? I'm sure California has the most bikes overall. We have the best weather and the best motorcycle laws. That's why we have a population of 38 million people. Yes, that's a shitload of people, but who the hell wants to live in South Dakota? There's a reason that only 835 thousand people live in that state. It's freezing *** cold, has a strange economy (boom or bust with fracking, currently a bust), there are no mountains, no ocean, and virtually no hills, and except for Mount Rushmore and the Black hills, there is not a lot of cool places to go...and I'm afraid to comment on the population for fear of insulting someone on this forum. I have a friend who is a cop there and he has some really strange stories.

I think you are trolling? South Dakota is a beautiful state, with great riding. I used to ride my motorcycle out there two or three times a year when I had more time. And vacation there with the family in the car. And yes I'm talking about the western part of the state, there isn't much to do in the eastern part.

I wonder if the SD count was during the two week run at Sturgis. Next, they should publish a list by state as to which state rides the most days of the year and No. of bikes riding.

Odometer mileage is recorded every year when vehicles are registered. Last year's stated mileage subtracted from this years odometer reading will tell you exactly how many miles were ridden in a year.

In Illinois, the only time mileage is recorded is when the vehicle title is transferred.

Annual registration tag/sticker renewal does not involve odometer readings.

I thought more southern states for ownership since more year round riding is available.

I have lived in several states over the years and I've always had a bike. Similar to your comment, I was surprised to see how few bikes are on the road here in Arkansas (A Southern State). There are literally "bike riding roads" around every corner. I work in North Little Rock (Industrial Area) and can be on a twisty back road in less than 20 minutes. It's almost hard not to find a nice riding road yet there are very few riders.

When I lived in Illinois, the bike parking lot at the plant was packed in the summer. At the facility in Arkansas, the largest number of bikes I have seen at one time was four. A majority of the time I have the only bike in the lot and that is during good weather. I'm not talking about the winter. Still have not figured it out.

That's a lame way to rank ownership! People per bike? I'm sure California has the most bikes overall. We have the best weather and the best motorcycle laws. That's why we have a population of 38 million people.

It's not lame at all. That's one of the points of the article in the OP. California does have the most bikes, but compared to the number of people there that could have bikes, it's ranks very low. People in states with good weather are showing as proportionally low in motorcycle ownership. If California has great motorcycle laws and weather, why are people there less likely to own a motorcycle, when on the other hand there are more bikes per person in North Dakota or Minnesota?

Perhaps few people own motorcycles in northern states, but they own multiple bikes. The data doesn't differentiate multiple-motorcycle owners, just people per motorcycle.

Last edited:
Back