• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycling is Expensive

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting into riding for the first time or after a long hiatus can be expensive.

Just thought I'd share my motorcycle expense ledger from the last year or so.
Most of these things were purchases spread out over two years, used, on sale, etc...
I bought a lot of the riding gear before I had settled on the NC700.

I keep this around, along with printed receipts of everything in case I have to make a claim.

Here you will find where to get almost every farkle for the NC700, part numbers and what it costs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gFBanK0rLK3Xzgh6ZobonxinbEj0uY-IFtmFJLlYZe8

(This doesn't include gas, or the myriad of camping accessories for motorcycling although I had most of those for backpacking already.)

I have spent MORE on farkles, gear, tools, mods etc... than the bike is worth new, but I still love it and would do it again.

I still have not upgraded the seat or suspension although there are plans...

What? Joe Rocket Jacket 61% off, only $200...I'll take that, hmm getting cold...new waterproof gloves on sale regular $189 only $124, can't pass those up. Stand back while I drop $450 on these PR4's taxes in, mounted and balanced, sweet! Excuse me whiles I fill up, only $10, I never really go anywhere and I don't really understand why I do this twice a week however I do get 72 miles to the gallon!

Getting into riding for the first time or after a long hiatus can be expensive.

Just thought I'd share my motorcycle expense ledger from the last year or so.
Most of these things were purchases spread out over two years, used, on sale, etc...
I bought a lot of the riding gear before I had settled on the NC700.

I keep this around, along with printed receipts of everything in case I have to make a claim.

Here you will find where to get almost every farkle for the NC700, part numbers and what it costs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gFBanK0rLK3Xzgh6ZobonxinbEj0uY-IFtmFJLlYZe8

(This doesn't include gas, or the myriad of camping accessories for motorcycling although I had most of those for backpacking already.)

I have spent MORE on farkles, gear, tools, mods etc... than the bike is worth new, but I still love it and would do it again.

I still have not upgraded the seat or suspension although there are plans...

Thanks for the detailed spreadsheet. My gear list is similar but you have a lot of extra stuff like an alarm, Jerry Can and mount, denali lights etc. If you had bought the BMW you would have to pay all the tax and title on that price and you would still need to pay another $3-5 grand to equip it the way you did your NCX. The maintenance provided by the dealer would also skyrocket as the bike got older unless you devoted yourself to becoming a german mechanic.

When I die, don't let my wife sell my stuff for the price that I told her that I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont keep count of what I spend.
the way I see it every morning you see what you've got.
but a drinker see nothing either a sore head or can't remember...
how much does he or she spend a year and nothing to show for it but vague memories.
I once work with a lad who use to say to me your lucky new car,new bike home etc etc.
so I said lucky?? how much do you spend on a good night out( 1 night he may do it 2 or 3 times a week) oh easily £50($67) or more so times that by 52 = £2600($3484) on memories and you can't sell memories,
but you can on your gear and bike!!
soooo which is more expensive in the long run??

I have restored and sold six classic Pontiac Firebirds and did it for the same reason we modify and customize our bikes. Its fun. When I sold those cars, I did not make a profit but I enjoyed building them. If / when I sell this bike I'll take a huge loss but it isn't about the money.

I used to own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler where I kept an itemized list just like you constructed. The wife would have killed me if she had seen how much I spent on aftermarket accessories but I enjoyed looking at the list. Needless to say, I could have purchased another jeep for the cost of all the farkles.

It's definitely not a bad idea to keep a list of expenditures. I do have a list of everything done to the NC but I did not associate prices with my list.

ride the hell out of it instead of thinking you need every farkle under the sun at one fell swoop. build up slowly so you can deceive yourself on the costs. because fun and discovery is NOT about being an accountant.

but mostly, ride the hell out of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, gives some of us a roadmap of options! Just curious, why would you not remove the Denali lightbar and use the Honda version that you've already paid for? I'm assuming the Honda gives a little more protection to the upper tupperware whereas the Denali is just a short bar under the beak, no? I have the Honda bar and am still trying to decide on what lights to add, and if they have the option, which lens. I'm leaning toward the D2's. I would like them to be always on with the low beam and then switch to higher output with high beam.

I also plan on adding the SW-Motech bars and skid plate down the road. I know there's a picture on the forum of a <'16 bike that has both the Honda light bar with the SW-Motech crash bars, do you see any changes that might prevent that with the '16 model?

I'm also considering swapping the headlight with something like an OPT7 or Cyclops, have you thought about that yet?

Just added CAD500 on the bill ordering visibility lights from SkeneDesign for my NC... Possibly an investment on my safety, but still an expense anyway... :)

I've been married and divorced twice. Money was always an issue (one of many). But now I have a girlfriend and everything we have is separate - money, homes, cars, motorcycles, everything. She spends and saves what she wants, and so do I. Not an issue at all anymore because what either of us does with our finances does not affect the other. We're both very financially responsible anyway so it likely wouldn't be anywhere near the issue it was with either of my exes, but it sure is nice.

As far as motorcycle expenses, I try to keep the costs as low as possible without sacrificing safety. First and foremost, the choice of this bike. Bought 1 year old from a private party - no dealer add ons, and no taxes since I'm in a no sales tax state. Secondly, no financing of any sort. No vehicle loans, no carrying a balance on credit cards. Look for deals on used items or the best deals on new. DIY on whatever is possible to do that way. Pick and choose farkles - I don't need every farkle invented. The "trial and error" process on the windshield has ended up costing me but hopefully I can recover some of that when I sell what didn't work out. I don't have a ledger though so maybe I'm just deceiving myself, and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

i have log too... and yes once you see it you realize how expensive it is.

but i have been trying to make up this expenses by only riding a bike instead of my car.. I am saving about $100 per month in gas... but after having to pay for insurance and tires every year my saving goes to $400 per year. i think i will have to ride my motorcycle for 10 years + to make up the bike and accessories.

but there is more then just the money. i have lots of fun on my commute to work, which reduce stress, the MPG is better for the environment, and as i live in CA and lane filtering is legal i am saving about 1 hr of traffic per day. 240 hr per year of extra time!

^^^ motorcycles are largely impractical anyway, right? but boosting the practicality is one area where the NC excels ; }

Thanks for sharing, gives some of us a roadmap of options! Just curious, why would you not remove the Denali lightbar and use the Honda version that you've already paid for? I'm assuming the Honda gives a little more protection to the upper tupperware whereas the Denali is just a short bar under the beak, no? I have the Honda bar and am still trying to decide on what lights to add, and if they have the option, which lens. I'm leaning toward the D2's. I would like them to be always on with the low beam and then switch to higher output with high beam.

I also plan on adding the SW-Motech bars and skid plate down the road. I know there's a picture on the forum of a <'16 bike that has both the Honda light bar with the SW-Motech crash bars, do you see any changes that might prevent that with the '16 model?

I'm also considering swapping the headlight with something like an OPT7 or Cyclops, have you thought about that yet?

So the '16's light bar is just the same old light bar just dark grey colored. I got it from BikeBandit and it took a long time for them to deliver, long after I received the lights.
I planned on removing the tupperware only once to do ALL the electrical work at once then never have to remove it again.

Test fitting it with the SW-Motech crash bars it appears it will fit, but I think only if the crash bars and the light bars are bolted 'loosely' at first. There are some holes on the side of the light bar for mounting something. I'd need to manufacture a custom bracket if I wanted to use the DX's I have and that bracket would have to be really strong since the DX's are huge and heavy and there's a lot of bounce up there. Both the Honda light bar and the Denali bracket could PROBABLY be mounted at the same time with a lot of fuss but there might clearance issues with the fender at full suspension compression. I opted to keep just the Denali light bar instead.

I've been thinking about replacing the front bulb with an LED one that more closely matches the color temperature of the DX's, but I'm not sure yet.

The philosophy I used when buying and applying mods was to do all of the 'safety' related ones first, like the front lights and extra brake lights etc... then ones that protect the investment like crash bars, hand guards, bash plate etc... for when I drop it in the driveway which I have done . :) After that I went for the comfort and gadget related mods.

I've been married and divorced twice. Money was always an issue (one of many). But now I have a girlfriend and everything we have is separate - money, homes, cars, motorcycles, everything. She spends and saves what she wants, and so do I. Not an issue at all anymore because what either of us does with our finances does not affect the other. We're both very financially responsible anyway so it likely wouldn't be anywhere near the issue it was with either of my exes, but it sure is nice.

As far as motorcycle expenses, I try to keep the costs as low as possible without sacrificing safety. First and foremost, the choice of this bike. Bought 1 year old from a private party - no dealer add ons, and no taxes since I'm in a no sales tax state. Secondly, no financing of any sort. No vehicle loans, no carrying a balance on credit cards. Look for deals on used items or the best deals on new. DIY on whatever is possible to do that way. Pick and choose farkles - I don't need every farkle invented. The "trial and error" process on the windshield has ended up costing me but hopefully I can recover some of that when I sell what didn't work out. I don't have a ledger though so maybe I'm just deceiving myself, and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

My priority list in buying anything related to motorcycling is safety first. My very first purchase before I even knew what bike I wanted was the helmet, followed by the Rev'IT armor.
ATGATT - even before owning a bike. :) I bought most of that during winter sales, some used. A very minimal investment in motorcycling, enough to take the MSF courses to see if getting back into riding was something I really wanted to do again. I had budgeted for this month a change of tires instead of adding more farkles, and good thing too since the OEM ones were beginning to be unpredictable.

That being said I don't see this as anything other than a 'useful' hobby, not a money-saving investment.
I commute to work on a bike almost every day I can, either by motorcycle or electric bicycle.
(After four years, the eBike has paid for itself, but now needs a new $1000 battery... debating.)

I put less than 10,000 miles a year on my car and only drive it in the winter/rain or to buy something big, take someone out to dinner etc...

Overall I think riding is really fun and you can't really put a price tag on that.
It's been on my bucket list for a long time as one of those life skills I think it's important to master and I'm glad I'm doing it.

I haven't kept track, but I would be mildly surprised if commuting 24/7/365 for the past 9 years on my $2,999.00 CBR125R that gets 80-90+ mpg's, one litre of oil and no oil filter at changes, didn't represent *some* kind of savings versus doing the same thing in any kind of car...

Having said that, belive it or not I only do it because I love motorcycling and the little WeeBR is a blast to bomb around on, not because of any perceived money saving thing. I would never only ride a bike due to a cold clinical accounting of a bank balance.:)

Back