• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MPG through the roof

You havent ridden in our Smokie Mountains on the Blueridge parkway where the max speed limit is 45mph (and the Feds patrol and enforce that speed limit-get a ticket on the Blueridge, you go to federal court) or the 'Tail of the Dragon' where there are 318 curves in 11 miles, many are switch backs and going over 45mph can be a trip to the rainbow...and on the weekends, highly enforced by the Tennessee State Police....neither of these roads have sleep induced properties.....and I get my best MPG in the Smokie Mountains-between 80-85mpg...
I’ve been to Deals Gap numerous times on sport bikes, and I hope to take the NC there in the not too distant future. I’ll enjoy the trip riding there. In the hands of a skilled rider the NC would be a lot of fun there. The limiting factors at the gap are how much you want to pay for your ticket, and avoiding roadblocks ie Harley Davidsons.

If I may answer I think 670cc was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it’s curves naturally limit speed. It’s posted at 45 mph.
If I'm not mistaken EVERY National Park/Parkway has a 45 mph or less speed limit. I've been to a lot of them and don't remember any higher than 45

You must live in an area with very twisty roads if you are riding at only 45 mph. If not, how do you manage to keep your speed so low? Impressive gas mileage considering your bike is unlikely to be in top gear at such a speed.
Your assumption is incorrect; the bike is likely to be in top gear. My 700X manual runs smoothly in 6th gear at 45 mph as long as the load is light (no steep hill or strong headwind). I don’t know how the (your) ‘21 750X behaves in similar conditions.

There also seems to be some variation one unit to another. At one time I owned 2 700Xs, less than 200 serial numbers apart. One ran more smoothly than the other. I could never explain why.

At 45 mph my 2021 which is geared a little higher in 4th, 5th and 6th would likely be bouncing between 5th and 6th depending on like you said elevation changes, throttle input etc. Seems to me under normal circumstances light to medium throttle and flat clean surface it goes into 6th at 45 mph, but would probably bounce down to 5th at 43 or 44 and back to 6th at 45-46. There seems to be certain speeds where the transmission isn't sure what gear it wants to be in. Because it is geared lower in 1st 2nd and 3rd, I also have that situation at 25 mph when leaving or entering my neighborhood with a 25 mph speed limit, it bounces back and forth between 3rd and 4th depending on how steady I can keep the throttle. Run it up to 30-32 and it will stay in 4th.

Last edited:
Well, moving from sport bikes to the NC I warned my riding companions that I would bore them with the phenomenal gas mileage on my bike. In only 5 days of ownership I have kept my word lol. I must confess that I am amazed at how little gas this bike uses if you ride it slowly with good throttle control.

I am surprised though, because I am used to riding inline 4s, how anyone can ride a manual NC at 45 mph in top gear. To my senses that is lugging the engine. I’m in 4th gear at that speed, any gear higher makes my bike feel like a single. I guess it bodes well for the famed reliability of the motor that you can basically ride it this way and get high mileages.

I can see when I run this motor in, that ill be up and down the gearbox, riding the wave of torque. It feels a very satisfying motor when you wind it up, as did my Sv1000. I sold a gsxr1000 to buy it with a view to slowing down. The opposite happened. I rode it harder, as the motor felt great at higher rpm. I get the same feeling with the NC.

The attached video towards the end has a mileage test done with one litre of fuel. It gives the gas mileages of those who thrashed it, and those who feathered the throttle. Worth a view.

Attachments

• 1BC8924B-4E17-4B48-860F-3962F169A041.png
    1BC8924B-4E17-4B48-860F-3962F169A041.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Well, moving from sport bikes to the NC I warned my riding companions that I would bore them with the phenomenal gas mileage on my bike. In only 5 days of ownership I have kept my word lol. I must confess that I am amazed at how little gas this bike uses if you ride it slowly with good throttle control.

I am surprised though, because I am used to riding inline 4s, how anyone can ride a manual NC at 45 mph in top gear. To my senses that is lugging the engine. I’m in 4th gear at that speed, any gear higher makes my bike feel like a single. I guess it bodes well for the famed reliability of the motor that you can basically ride it this way and get high mileages.

I can see when I run this motor in, that ill be up and down the gearbox, riding the wave of torque. It feels a very satisfying motor when you wind it up, as did my Sv1000. I sold a gsxr1000 to buy it with a view to slowing down. The opposite happened. I rode it harder, as the motor felt great at higher rpm. I get the same feeling with the NC.
I have a manual NC700X, so I ride it in any gear I want. But by comparison, the DCT model of the same vintage will automatically shift into 6th gear at light throttle in D mode at around 39 mph, if I remember correctly. I ran some numbers (because I was comparing mine to the Ferret’s model) and I think my ‘12 manual and a ‘21 auto have about a 3% difference in overall top gear ratio, so not a significant difference.

Attached are the ‘12 owner’s manual shift points for manual and auto models. Now before people beat me up, I realize that few people would actually shift at those points, and I don’t either, but it does illustrate that this is not “lugging” the engine. You can compare those shift points to the ones in your owner’s manual. If you are used to short stroke in line fours, 2000 RPM with light load on the NC may feel like lugging, but it is not.

People expect and derive widely different experiences from the NC series motorcycle, but running the engine in 6th gear at 45 mph under light load is well within it’s boundaries.

FCB171F1-BF89-461F-8B3C-1AB8B68EAF0B.jpeg07A79C19-6B40-41CE-B1B7-A4FB7F9644F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Your assumption is incorrect; the bike is likely to be in top gear. My 700X manual runs smoothly in 6th gear at 45 mph as long as the load is light (no steep hill or strong headwind). I don’t know how the (your) ‘21 750X behaves in similar conditions.

There also seems to be some variation one unit to another. At one time I owned 2 700Xs, less than 200 serial numbers apart. One ran more smoothly than the other. I could never explain why.
Id say my Nc750 is right at the point of ceasing to lug at 45 mph in 6th gear, and as you say, when the load is light it seems to handle it. The difference in gas consumption between running 45 mph in 4th as opposed to 6th gear isn’t much from what I can see and gives better response when accelerating.

Being in 6th at 45 causes me to downshift a couple of gears if I want to get a move on. I’ve only just finished running mine in and can see that I’ll be mainly running between 3500 to 5000. It produces satisfying acceleration for me between those revs. Coming from a 150 hp 4 cylinder I guess I’m used to instant grunt and fuel mileage isn’t number one on my list with this bike.

So, what gives these bikes all the low-end torque? Longer stroke, milder cam, better head design, better fuel atomization?............
While there aren’t specific answers to your questions here, there are some hints in this article from 2012 around the time of the NC700X’s debut. http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x

It should be made very, very clear that the ”half a Jazz” joke is just that, A JOKE. So many journalists took it seriously and ran with it in their articles, only to perpetuate an untrue rumor and expose their own ignorance.

So, what gives these bikes all the low-end torque? Longer stroke, milder cam, better head design, better fuel atomization?............
Long stroke engines have more torque at low RPM than short stroke engines (assuming the same RPM for both engines). The moment arm (lever) of the crankshaft allows for more torque.

For a given RPM, the peak linear speed of the piston within the cylinder is faster for a long stroke engine than for a short stroke engine. Longer distance to travel in the same time = faster linear speed. This is why long stroke engines redline at lower a RPM than short stroke engines. The metallurgy of the piston, rings and cylinder limit the maximum allowable linear speed of the piston. Then, the engine designers tune the intake and exhaust cam and design the cylinder head to maximize power within the usable RPM range.

The bike has torque. I’m saying I wouldn’t ride in 6th gear at 45 mph for my particular bike as the rpm feels just above lugging point. Now the engine might not technically be lugging, but it feels as if it is because of its firing order. The bike is over geared for gas mileage purposes.

In an earlier post you showed the change points recommended by Honda for the NC and suggest it’s not lugging if Honda recommend those change points. That’s the first photo below. The second photo is from the owners manual of the 1990 to 1993 vfr750 .

It’s the exact same gear changing points recommended for every gear. The diagram hasnt changed in 30 years. The vfr handles 45 mph in 6th gear a little better than the Nc but all engines are going to feel slightly different considering their configuration. Plus the vfr makes 56 ft lbs of torque compared to 51 ft lbs on the ancient.

The gsx-s1000f I just sold could accelerate from 25mph in top gear. I tried it a couple of times for interest. You could accelerate hard and it would pull cleanly and quickly from that speed without any feel of lugging. But that’s an in-line four.

Attachments

• 1324E4FF-F626-48B4-A014-C0B829ED72DF.jpeg
    1324E4FF-F626-48B4-A014-C0B829ED72DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 959932D6-E24F-4979-B3BB-A525C80A4519.png
    959932D6-E24F-4979-B3BB-A525C80A4519.png
    779.3 KB · Views: 8
The bike has torque. I’m saying I wouldn’t ride in 6th gear at 45 mph for my particular bike as the rpm feels just above lugging point. Now the engine might not technically be lugging, but it feels as if it is because of its firing order. The bike is over geared for gas mileage purposes.

In an earlier post you showed the change points recommended by Honda for the NC and suggest it’s not lugging if Honda recommend those change points. That’s the first photo below. The second photo is from the owners manual of the 1990 to 1993 vfr750 .

It’s the exact same gear changing points recommended for every gear. The diagram hasnt changed in 30 years. The vfr handles 45 mph in 6th gear a little better than the Nc but all engines are going to feel slightly different considering their configuration. Plus the vfr makes 56 ft lbs of torque compared to 51 ft lbs on the ancient.

The gsx-s1000f I just sold could accelerate from 25mph in top gear. I tried it a couple of times for interest. You could accelerate hard and it would pull cleanly and quickly from that speed without any feel of lugging. But that’s an in-line four.
Funny!
Here's from my ST1300 manual... Same shift points!

1651092338441.png

The DCT's programmed shift points closely follow the NC published manual. The engine is not lugging at 37 mph in 6th under steady speed load or even slight acceleration if the PCM allows it. Individual riders might feel like they are lugging the engine but it's not actually occurring by definition. If engine load at 37 mph increases due to grade or the rider opens the throttle in order to accelerate the PCM may choose a downshift (or 2 or 3) to avoid lugging. It stands to reason that considerable thought went into choosing the NC's shift points by Honda engineers to avoid damage to the engine and to Honda's reputation for long service life because DCT would be doing the shifting when the rider chooses Auto Mode and elects not to override the PCM's decisions. We might not like how it feels at 37 mph in 6th but it does not hurt a thing.

The New Concept engine was developed and tuned for highest volumetric efficiency and not for power output per displacement. The Ash On Bikes article says it well.

The DCT's programmed shift points closely follow the NC published manual. The engine is not lugging at 37 mph in 6th under steady speed load or even slight acceleration if the PCM allows it. Individual riders might feel like they are lugging the engine but it's not actually occurring by definition. If engine load at 37 mph increases due to grade or the rider opens the throttle in order to accelerate the PCM may choose a downshift (or 2 or 3) to avoid lugging. It stands to reason that considerable thought went into choosing the NC's shift points by Honda engineers to avoid damage to the engine and to Honda's reputation for long service life because DCT would be doing the shifting when the rider chooses Auto Mode and elects not to override the PCM's decisions. We might not like how it feels at 37 mph in 6th but it does not hurt a thing.

The New Concept engine was developed and tuned for highest volumetric efficiency and not for power output per displacement. The Ash On Bikes article says it well.
I understand what you are saying, and seeing as I have a manual Nc I can see that as an automatic (DCT) your bike will feel different to mine. While I would have to change down manually to get some decent acceleration which takes time, yours would much quickly do the same thing. I didn’t take into account the differences between the manual and the DCT. Can’t disagree that Honda would definitely make sure in the DCT that the engine wasn’t lugging at any speed.

Im wondering if the manual and DCT versions are doing the same rpm at 45 mph. I’m thinking it’s likely that they are not. The nc is such a low revving engine that even a couple of hundred rpm would make a big difference between the feeling that an engine is lugging, or not.

Im wondering if the manual and DCT versions are doing the same rpm at 45 mph. I’m thinking it’s likely that they are not. The nc is such a low revving engine that even a couple of hundred rpm would make a big difference between the feeling that an engine is lugging, or not.
I don’t know exactly about ‘21-22 models, but on the original ‘12 model, DCT and manual transmission top gear overall ratios were nearly identical (3.893 vs 3.918, approximately 0.6% difference). In lower gears the manual’s gearing was slightly lower, so the manual has a slightly wider spread of gear ratios to work with. First gear overall ratio was 13.08 manual vs 12.48 DCT.

Last edited:
For 21 and 22 models, supposedly they lowered the ratios for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for better acceleration, and raised ratios for 4th-6 th for lowered cruising rpms and better gas mileage. How much difference there is in the real world is questionable

For 21 and 22 models, supposedly they lowered the ratios for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for better acceleration, and raised ratios for 4th-6 th for lowered cruising rpms and better gas mileage. How much difference there is in the real world is questionable
That's right and I like that idea a lot. From what I read I like everything about it except for maybe the mode defaulting back to standard every time you shut it off. Still waiting for the bike to arrive, and I put a deposit down 4 months ago.

It’s interesting that according to the 2012 and the 2022 X owner’s manuals specifications, the overall ratio for first gear on a ‘22 DCT is 12.35, which is actually slightly taller than first gear on a ‘12 DCT, which was 12.48. So much for lowering first gear for better acceleration. Honda marketing is likely comparing 2022 to a 2020 DCT, where at 11.75 perhaps they decided they had erred and made first gear too tall, so they put it back pretty much where it was before and called it an improvement. Nonetheless, the ‘12 had a lower first than the ‘21-22, but of course the ‘12 made a few less peak horsepower.

I understand what you are saying, and seeing as I have a manual Nc I can see that as an automatic (DCT) your bike will feel different to mine. While I would have to change down manually to get some decent acceleration which takes time, yours would much quickly do the same thing. I didn’t take into account the differences between the manual and the DCT. Can’t disagree that Honda would definitely make sure in the DCT that the engine wasn’t lugging at any speed.

I've owned both manual and DCT NC700Xs. I've said before and still believe the NC700X engine was designed with the DCT in mind. I rode the manual one generally at higher rpms in each gear because it did not seem natural at lower rpms that the algorithms choose. I didn't even use Drive (the most sedate or low rpm shift points) for a long time when I got a DCT bike. I have since learned to use D most often and just override shifts when I choose to.

Back