• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MPG through the roof

Sorry but I think you guys are dreaming, I never heard of any vehicle getting way over what the factory could squeeze out of it unless it's so lean that it overheats and/or burns holes in things.
There is no dreaming at play here. The figure you refer to comes from a standardized test cycle designed to simulate real world use. The factory didn't squeeze anything, the factory didn't even test the bike(s), they supplied bikes to JAMA for testing. Anyone interested in getting better than 80 MPG Imp should be easily able to do so by common fuel saving techniques of preserving momentum by minimizing stop/starts, anticipating traffic signals far in advance, and then limiting cruising speed.

On summer gas I was averaging 74 mpg (US Gallon) on my 21 NC 750X. On winter gas, I'm down to 68. Or I'm riding faster. Plus the Givi touring shield probably doesn't help. I usually ride on country curvy road at 45-60 mph with very few stop and no stop lights in std mode, so usually one gear and steady throttle. Riding in sport mode will cause gas mileage to drop. Riding in city traffic will cause gas mileage to drop. Riding on the freeway at 70 mph will make gas mileage to drop. Underinflated tires will cause gas mileage to drop. Too tight of a chain will cause gas mileage to drop.

Last edited:
The question asked of you was, where did your 80 mpg number come from? But I think it's sorted out now and dduelin has all the answers in posts #26 and #39.
No, this was my question; I am curious at how they arrived at 80 MPG, copied from post 32 and referring to the makers, or official testers.

Last edited:
There is no dreaming at play here. The figure you refer to comes from a standardized test cycle designed to simulate real world use. The factory didn't squeeze anything, the factory didn't even test the bike(s), they supplied bikes to JAMA for testing. Anyone interested in getting better than 80 MPG Imp should be easily able to do so by common fuel saving techniques of preserving momentum by minimizing stop/starts, anticipating traffic signals far in advance, and then limiting cruising speed.
IDK about easily obtainable when very few if any average 80 mpg. I do see some dreaming.........lol

IDK about easily obtainable when very few if any average 80 mpg. I do see some dreaming.........lol
It has already been noted in the thread that 78 mpg (Imperial) is about the average for NC700Xs logged on Fuelly.com. These are actual owners recording their mileage. Honda claims fuel economy of a new UK NC750X of 80.7 mpg (Imperial). I wish we could reference the fuel econmy number from the American Honda website, but they don't show a number for the NC750X. Honda marketing has touted the 750 as being as fuel efficient or better than the 700. So it all adds up. For me, getting 25% better mileage than Honda's spec or the Fuelly average is easy to do when I want to. If that seems like dreaming to you, then so be it.
No, this was my question; I am curious at how they arrived at 80 MPG, copied from post 32 and referring to the makers.
Got it. As I said, dduelin has done a good job of explaining how the makers arrive at a fuel usage number.

One last thing: I sure hope you have read and comprehended the whole thread, and haven't missed it that this thread was originated by an owner from Wales, and mostly unless otherwise noted, the mpg numbers tossed around in this thread are based off Imperial gallons, not US gallons (made clear at post #9). At this point we just seem to be talking in circles. But, dduelin has done a great job educating us, too. Thank you, Dave.

Jesus. This turned sour. 750dct, you sound absolutely miserable. If you weren’t here to doubt my MPG figures, I don’t know what I’d do..!

As for the rest of you, I commute mostly at 50mph. Can’t bear to ride below that speed and it returns 75-80mpg consistently with some stop and start at the beginning and end of the journey. This week I gave up watching the average mpg figure and just enjoyed to obnoxiously loud full system!

I thought the nc750x mpg was 64 mpg us which converts to 77 mpg imperial. Or am I wrong.

I thought the nc750x mpg was 64 mpg us which converts to 77 mpg imperial. Or am I wrong.
You may not be wrong. What is the source of your 64 mpg figure?

65mpg US is what I averaged with stock tires and windshield. Switching to a PUIG windscreen, hand guards, and a softer carcass Pirelli tire, my mpg average is about 60 mph US. I’ve never seen any better mpg, so I have been intrigued by this thread.

Well, like I said I'm running a Puig touring screen, handguards and Michelin Road 5 tires at 38f 40R and at this time averaging 68 MPG US (81 mpg imperial) by calculator not by fuel gauge readout. When it warms up a bit I'll switch back to my cut off shorty shield and no hand guards and hopefully it will go back up in the 74 mpg US range. (89 mpg imperial), so even at my worst I am averaging over 80 mpg Imperial

I can understand the 80mpg figure my 12 700x returned 78mpg one tankful. It is normally mid to high 60s. I do not know what fuel mix was being run summer/winter but in New England USA we have 10pct alcohol that does hurt the mileage. With just the exhaust being changed,cat back? My thoughts are not running lean the 3 way cat needs the constant rich/lean condition to work properly that the ECM controls. The decrease in back pressure and the pumping losses that decreased would make the most sense. Most people end up with worse MPG after exhaust change from it sounding so good that we end up running higher rpms.

I can understand the 80mpg figure my 12 700x returned 78mpg one tankful. It is normally mid to high 60s. I do not know what fuel mix was being run summer/winter but in New England USA we have 10pct alcohol that does hurt the mileage. With just the exhaust being changed,cat back? My thoughts are not running lean the 3 way cat needs the constant rich/lean condition to work properly that the ECM controls. The decrease in back pressure and the pumping losses that decreased would make the most sense. Most people end up with worse MPG after exhaust change from it sounding so good that we end up running higher rpms.
That sounds fine, but “the 80mpg figure” referred to in this thread is with Imperial gallons, and I suspect you are writing in terms of US gallons.

That sounds fine, but “the 80mpg figure” referred to in this thread is with Imperial gallons, and I suspect you are writing in terms of US gallons.
Yes I forgot this is International, also not sure if there is a cat or not"Black widow downpipe"

I wasn't confused, at least I don't think I was :eek:

Today's fill up netted 66 mpg (USA) and 79 mpg (imperial)

Easy US mpg to Imperial mpg calculator

It's official, my 2013 is getting a little better mpg than my 2015. After 5,941 miles tracked on Fuelly the '13 is averaging 63.5 (US mpg for all the confused readers). The '15 was at 63.0 after tracking 18,738 miles, the 2012 manual 63.9 after about 20,000 miles. I deleted it from my Fuelly app several years ago.

Over time my riding must resemble the WMTC test cycle as it gives 64 mpg estimate for NC700Xs.

HEH!! When i installed mine(YMMV) i dropped to 50mpg US. However, after just a couple of tankfuls as previously reported i did locate the reason for the sudden drop in mpg...
It was the loose nut behind the bars! I liked the sound so much that i was always into the throttle/pipe and the mpg dropped drastically.

So now to report some better news, i was finally able to adjust that loose nut and the mpg is coming back up. When the road opens back up out at my little test track i will be headed out there to do another test and see what i can gain out of this new de-cat pipe. I'll report my findings and as always, YMMV. :{P

You must live in an area with very twisty roads if you are riding at only 45 mph. If not, how do you manage to keep your speed so low? Impressive gas mileage considering your bike is unlikely to be in top gear at such a speed.
If I may answer I think 670cc was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it’s curves naturally limit speed. It’s posted at 45 mph.

Back