• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

mpg!

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on both of my recent trips of 202 miles on 11.35 ltrs @ 4.54 litres to uk gallon.
that is roughly 78 mpg and that with two up.
a mixture of 25 to 70 mph.
some roads we could barely do 30 mph as the roads were so narrow and not knowing whats around the corner.
I dont think I'll get that on my next new bike!

Yes! In 1315 miles with long stretches under frequently under 20 mph (Going-to-Sun highway in Glacier NP, to rushing through gust and wind at 70-80 mph, to open highway with passing up to 90mph, I (single rider) have averaged 75mpg, with 70.4 mpg being my lowest fill-up and 79.9 mpg my highest.

You do realize you're talking about two different sizes of gallons, right?

Last edited:
John

Hmmm. Cross the i, dot the t, divide by imaginary number, turn widdershins three times and asking the next door neighbour's cat for help, I get 64.95 US mpg converted from 78 mpg Imperial.

So I roughly knock off 12 or 13 mpg's every time our dreaded Queen's Imperialstormtrooper units are bandied about over here in Amerigo Vespucci's place lol

65 mpg or 78 mpg, both sound pretty good :D

I was going to say, on a DCT 78mpg is impressive at any speed.

I drive like a grandma in D mode, commuting city streets and get what you see there in my fuelly sig.
The only reason it isn't closer to 70 is those freeway runs tend to punch it down into the lower 60's.
58mpg 75mph into a direct head wind with the hard panniers last week...

Lots of easy miles on back roads -- with a few State Road and Interstate miles

last two fill ups

78.9 MPG

80.0 MPG

the only time I stay in 'D' mode is on straight'sh/longer roads. once on the hills going up or down on these narrow roads its in 'S' mode.
it struggles on steep incline/bendy roads as it doesn't appear to know what gear it should be in.
example in 'D' going up on a straight'sh incline it jump into next gear but soon back down in gears.
this is all due to throttle control and its not easy on a bumpy road as these were so in 'S' mode its easier to stay in gear.
this is due as you know the 'S' hold the rev's longer etc.hope understand lads.
considering that the bike is carrying roughly 400 lbs in weight inc bike gear and getting 78 mpg is very impressive in my book.

Over the last 30,000 miles or so......55ish US mpg mostly highway riding. Never, ever saw much more or much less.

I'm not much worried anymore about MP(USA)G, that is why I got a NC700XD to do all my overland traveling with. With my 45 liter Touratech panniers sticking way out into the windstream and pulling my moto-mule trailer, I feel I'm lucky to get anything above 50 mpg.

image.jpg

Next week I will be changing out the stock 2016 windscreen for a much larger and way more comfortable Madstad, and I have a good baseline on Fuelly to see how much a difference it will make.

Here shows my last trip, easily showing a decrease from the panniers and trailer. Notice where on the 3,200 mile trip I was going up and down in the Rockies and then later heading into a 30 mph headwind while going up to the continental divide at interstate speeds!

image.jpg

Ray

Last edited:
I'm guessing my average of ~75 mpg will get dragged down a bit when I get heavier Mitas E-07 tires, or something else of the dual-sport/adventure variety... also more rolling resistance I would guess.

I saw a little over 83 MPG (US) and just under 50 MPG in the same trip. The high mileage was going slow through Rock Mountain National Park. The lowest was riding 75-80 MPH into a 30+ MPH headwind. I normally get 70 MPG with my daily riding.

When I had my old Goldwing, I thought to myself, I wish there was a bike that could average 50 mpg with my normal riding.
At the time, I was averaging 37 mpg on the GL.
Not long after, Honda anouced the NC700X. I thought to myself, this is everything that I asked for. After 44,500 miles plus, this bike still does everything that I asked for. It still amazes me that I can ride to work at 80-85 mph and get 50 mpg, then take it easy and get 80 mpg.
Thank you Honda;for making this bike that does what no other does.

last 3 fill-ups

198.9 miles mostly under 70 mph, 70% highway: 80.2 mpg
221.1 miles mostly under 70 mph, almost all highway:85.27 mpg!
237.2 miles mostly under 70 mph, very windy/gusty highway: 70.81 mpg

This Giannelli pipe and silencer surely is not hurting things!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lucky enough to have the (nearly) perfect commute for MPG purposes. I drive about 30 miles each way and the vast majority of it is at 45-50 mph on two lane backcountry roads (no lights, no stop signs). Lately, I get 79-80mpg from my best fill-ups. It's never below 74mpg. What a great machine! 11,208 miles and still loving it. Still coveting the AT but I don't think I will ever get rid of Skookum (my 2015 black DCT/Roadsmart IIs/stormshields/oem bags/ tall oem windscreen/shad seat/ givi engine guards / lowered 1"/ front xtenda).
>T

Today I turned in my second best gas mileage ever.

The riding was over the past few weeks, solo (as always), light to no wind in most cases, and mostly all done on flat, one lane oil-and-chip farm access roads with loose gravel. Speeds were generally 35-45 mph. I doubt I ever went over 55 mph during the whole tank. I was at around 90 miles when the first fuel bar went out, so I knew it would be a good tank. The flashing bar finally came on at 244 miles. I filled up at 274 miles, although I'm sure it would have made it to 300. I would have done 300, which I have once before, but I didn't have a RotopaX with me. I filled it to almost spilling over the tank with 3.081 gallons. The mileage worked out to 88.93 mpg. This would be 106.8 UK mpg, according to Fuelly.

This does not catch my record of 94.5 US mpg, but I doubt I'll ever see that again since the addition of hand guards and a taller windscreen. Clicking the Fuelly icon at the bottom of my posts will show my mileage history.

Last edited:
Back