• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MSF Basic Rider Course

Cyclerosis

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While not an exceptionally skilled rider I'm always willing to learn and have tried to get better throughout the 40+ year's (30 of those years being self taught) I've been riding. I recall riding on Rte 129 with Fuzzy and Kameran (GF-Kam) while at the HU event in NC, and trying to line up a sight of travel through the turns while staying in my own lane. On one of those turns, maybe half way through the Dragon, I made that turn exactly right, and to my surprise, a couple of bikes with a group of cruiser riders coming the other way, strayed into MY lane in the exact path of travel I would have taken had I not been focusing on what I was doing. I mentioned above, the first 30 or so years of my experience were self taught, based on the advice of bikers who had been riding much longer than I at the time. Fast forward to 1999 when I had to renew my cycle endorsement after moving to Jersey, and signed up for the BRC at Lakehurst Naval Base. I can honestly say I learned more in those 3 days of professional training, than had learned in 30+ years of repeating the same mistakes I had taught myself. Now fast forward to 2013. My lady friend has just taken the BRC for the second time in two years, and passed it this time. Today, we went out for a lengthy ride of about 3 1/2 hours and covered nearly 75 miles of mountain lanes mixed with a few miles of highway, and was thoroughly impressed with how well she handled her bike on the turns. So 3 days of training, had her riding her cruiser better than I've seen many riders, with years of road experience, ride. Kudos to the MSF!

Agree they do a great job. While you were riding for 40+ years, I was off doing other things after having a bike in college 40+ years ago. The course gave me the confidence to get started again. Two added bonuses for me were that passing the course meant I did not have to take the test at the DMV (actually, the final exam was the DMV test, just administered by the instructor on a bike I'd been taking the course on) and if I want to ride on Fort Huachuca property - which I do - the card I got for completing the course is a necessity. Actually three. I think the course made me a better car driver. I find myself thinking about SEEing rather than just sitting back, letting the world go by.

Kudos to your GF. I've had the NCX just over 2 months and have been trying to do a couple of 100+ mi loops each week + using it around town to do errands. I still find myself trying to put everything I learned together so for her to be pulling that off after just having taken the course is to her credit! :D

Anyone who has bought a HONDA motorcycle within the last 12 months can get reimbursed up to $75 for taking an MSF course. The Advanced course is around $75, so it would pay for the course completely.

If you bought your NCX or any other Honda motorcycle within 12 months you should check with your local community college or look up on the MSF website to find a course in your area. I've done both the basic and Advanced, courses, and learned a great deal from them...especially low speed stuff which is where most people drop their bikes.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx#&panel1-1

I think you will be very happy with the results.

Last edited:
To bad instructor can't get a refund from Honda! Glad to hear about your classes, its always good to hear from students on how well they are doing.

Most experienced riders we get in our classes are there because they were ticketed for riding without a motorcycle endorsement on their license. Typically they have a bit of an attitude, feel they don't need to be there and that their time is being wasted. By the end of the class most realize they didn't ride as good as they thought and actually learned quite a bit. There is always a sincere thank you and handshake when they leave.

Anyone who has bought a HONDA motorcycle within the last 12 months can get reimbursed up to $75 for taking an MSF course. The Advanced course is around $75, so it would pay for the course completely.

If you bought your NCX or any other Honda motorcycle within 12 months you should check with your local community college or look up on the MSF website to find a course in your area. I've done both the basic and Advanced, courses, and learned a great deal from them...especially low speed stuff which is where most people drop their bikes.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

I think you will be very happy with the results.

I may take another class (have already taken the advanced course) to encourage my lady friend to take it too.

I took the BRC course even before I bought my bike. I wanted to make sure that this was something I wanted to invest in, plus I had NO idea on how to ride a bike (spend most of my childhood and all adulthood on Honda 4x4 ATVs....yeah, there was a Honda theme in there somewhere :cool: ). At the end of class, I was mentally exhausted, but 110% sure that it was something I wanted to do (and who knew exactly what it took to ride a bike..correctly). Earlier this year, before I had neck issues that sidelined me, I took the BRC2 course 'just because'. Since I live near Ft. Wood, all other students were there due to military requirements; I was the only one that was there 'just because'. I learned ALOT in the BRC2 course, especially slow turns (my weak spot) and came away more confident.

I will probably take that course every 2 years to keep my skills up. I'm still afraid of my bike (not to the point of being a danger to myself) and treat it and riding on highways with the upmost respect. I can't wait until my neck surgery heals up and am strong enough to ride. Both courses were well worth the $$ to me.

Back