• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Muffler swap?

Given that a fair number of people put aftermaket mufflers on their NCs, we should see some stock 2016 mufflers for sale soon, and then we shall see whether the fitment is backward compatible.

I have a 2012 NC700X that I purchased a few months ago with <4K miles. Last week a 2017 model became available from a distressed seller (i.e. bike was priced very well) with much higher mileage but loaded with aftermarket parts. Due to the mileage, I'm planning on stripping all of the extras off of the 2017, putting them on the 2012, and selling the 2017 in the spring.

I'm curious to know if I can swap the exhaust from the 2012 and 2017, since the 2017 exhaust looks and sounds much better.

Any confirmation before I begin the task would be appreciated.

I believe it will fit, but the ‘12 muffler may look a little wonky on the ‘17.

How many miles are on the 2017?

JT

I have a 2012 NC700X that I purchased a few months ago with <4K miles. Last week a 2017 model became available from a distressed seller (i.e. bike was priced very well) with much higher mileage but loaded with aftermarket parts. Due to the mileage, I'm planning on stripping all of the extras off of the 2017, putting them on the 2012, and selling the 2017 in the spring.

I'm curious to know if I can swap the exhaust from the 2012 and 2017, since the 2017 exhaust looks and sounds much better.

Any confirmation before I begin the task would be appreciated.

I wouldn't....

If you put an old model exhaust on a newer model bike, you're hurting the resale value, as most buyers want original or aftermarket parts, not old model non-standard parts for that particular model. I see stuff like that and just skip that listing all together when bike shopping.

The amount of resale value loss would probably be much more than just buying a cheaper afrermarket can for your 12 model and leaving the original on the 2017 model. Hard for me to believe you can buy a whole 2017 model bike to scavenge parts off of but would scoff and buying a cheap aftermarket exhaust for better looks and sound.

This is a good looking aftermarket Danmoto exhaust for your 2012 for only $167, and it looks similar to the 2017 oem can.

a1d7c9cf0326193126c0b309c76a1d33.jpg

Also, what kind of miles are we looking at on the 2017 model?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The 2017 has ~15K miles. The 2012 has ~4K. I prefer silver and it's lower mileage, so I'll keep it. Whoever buys the 2017 is going to get a great bike at a fair price in the spring.

In the end, the swap worked easily and the fit was perfect. Three bolts (shield, upper, and at exhaust), slide off, slide back on, and retighten.

IMG_5017.JPGIMG_5019.JPGIMG_5020.jpgIMG_5021.JPGIMG_5025.JPGIMG_5026.jpg

Unless the stock exhaust (new or old style) is also included in the sale, any used bike for sale with an aftermarket exhaust is immediately struck off my list. Sell the 2017 with the 2012 can. If the buyer wants to replace the stock exhaust later with one of their choice, they'll always have that option.

2016 NC700XD Stock Exhaust

I got a new chrome can exhaust, not certain who made it and it’s all boxed up out in the garage, but I left the stock exhaust on for two reasons. First is not sure I really like the chrome can more than the stock muffler, and second because the NC is barely broke in 1089 miles since April. As I understand there is no modifications necessary when these aftermarket mufflers are put on. However, I thought it better to wait until the NC has at least 3000 miles prior to experimenting with the exhaust.

I got a new chrome can exhaust, not certain who made it and it’s all boxed up out in the garage, but I left the stock exhaust on for two reasons. First is not sure I really like the chrome can more than the stock muffler, and second because the NC is barely broke in 1089 miles since April. As I understand there is no modifications necessary when these aftermarket mufflers are put on. However, I thought it better to wait until the NC has at least 3000 miles prior to experimenting with the exhaust.

100% will not change enough parameters to hurt anything, even if ran from the day it was bought brand new.

I watched a video of an NC rider demonstrating the sound difference in a stock muffler and an after market one. I could not hear any difference. My hearing isn’t the best anymore. The fellow I bought my NC from stated the dealer, Hall’s in Mobile, told him he needed the after market exhaust so cars could hear him when he was in traffic. I chuckled at that one. My thoughts were at next oil change I might experiment with the chrome can.

Sound clips generally don't do exhausts justice. That said, just a slip on can is not overly loud, but significantly louder / better sounding than stock. I have a slip on carbon Yoshi, which comes with a quiet insert (baffle), and even without the baffle, it's not very loud. The oem head pipe design and the catalytic converter are what makes it remain relatively quiet with a slip-on can as compared to other bikes. You can put a de-cat aftermarket head pipe on and it really gets louder. Here is a vid of mine with the Yoshi no baffle.

YouTube

And some sound footage while riding

YouTube

Your NC sounds nice on the track. Appears you can tell where it is at on the power curve by sound without glancing at the tach. I did change the exhaust on my GL1500 to Daytona mufflers with torque master headers, which made it considerably louder, however, that louder exhaust got old out on the highway after 5.000 miles of listening to it, I am ready to return it to stock. That is partly my hesitation to changing the NC's muffler.

Your NC sounds nice on the track. Appears you can tell where it is at on the power curve by sound without glancing at the tach. I did change the exhaust on my GL1500 to Daytona mufflers with torque master headers, which made it considerably louder, however, that louder exhaust got old out on the highway after 5.000 miles of listening to it, I am ready to return it to stock. That is partly my hesitation to changing the NC's muffler.
The only reason you can hear it so loud in the vid is because the camera is behind me and I am blocking the wind. I can barely hear it inside my helmet while riding. I thought about buying the decat head pipe but probably will just leave it as is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't think about the placement. I have yet to get into recording or videoing. I watch some of the rides people do touring across the world. Just dreaming that someday I could make one of those trips.

Back