• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Multistrada Fever

bvogel7475

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admit that I have been lusting after a Ducati Multistrada S Touring with saddlebags and new 2015 one near my house is all the way down to 12k, which is a steal. Of course I have been over to the Multistrada forums. Those owners put up with ridiculous problems. Folks riding the 2015 have gone through 4 different versions of the fuel sending unit. They seem to break every six months. Then there are electrical problems galore where the bike just dies and won't start. Another one with only a few miles had a fork seal blow out. There seem to be all kinds of overheating issues as well. I'm not ready for that yet.

Wasn't the 2015 the first model year with the new electronic suspension? I can certainly understand the appeal. I find myself considering all sorts of different bikes. With so many of the bikes on the market today being excellent, determining pros and cons becomes highly personal.

A friend has the new 2016 Enduro Multistrada model. He has about 15,000kms on it by now. He loves it. Problems have been zero. He is a confirmed GS BM person and still owns three of them, one being the current model Adventure with all the bells and whistles. It and the Ducati are like chalk and cheese.

Sometimes a bike can be so enjoyable to own and ride that one can put up with a few glitches here and there. My Triumph is such a bike for me. It has had its problems, but now it is sorted. The Wife and myself love it. We are aware that it could have problems ongoing but we are still keeping it and if it does have a glitch it will not be a shock to us.

Have you ridden the Ducati ? Lots of bhp........

A friend has the new 2016 Enduro Multistrada model. He has about 15,000kms on it by now. He loves it. Problems have been zero. He is a confirmed GS BM person and still owns three of them, one being the current model Adventure with all the bells and whistles. It and the Ducati are like chalk and cheese.

Sometimes a bike can be so enjoyable to own and ride that one can put up with a few glitches here and there. My Triumph is such a bike for me. It has had its problems, but now it is sorted. The Wife and myself love it. We are aware that it could have problems ongoing but we are still keeping it and if it does have a glitch it will not be a shock to us.

Have you ridden the Ducati ? Lots of bhp........

Have not ridden the Ducati yet because I fear I may like it and make a rash decision to buy one...then my wife will divorce me because I really have too much debt already.

I'm gonna have that embroidered on my wallet for when I drift too close to the BMW dealership.
Would look right next to "You can only ride one motorcycle at a time"...

Before I bought the dct I test rode a BMW 800 GS. Very nice, but not 15k nice.

I have a friend who is a Ducatista and lives in PA. He told me he has to have two Ducs because one is always in the shop!

I used to be a Ducati mechanic. I have owned 5 of them in the past. I still have a 1980 900SD but will never own another. I have gotten older and prefer to ride bikes instead of work on them.

I'm gonna have that embroidered on my wallet for when I drift too close to the BMW dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of BMWs - here is their answer to the Multistrada in a new color for '17, Ocean Blue - I want it!

78b6bb5e41b1167bcd1c3f7040f1ae1a_zpsqtaspgya.jpg

I test-rode one a few months ago and I can't get it out of my head. The geometry and weight of the bike is almost identical to the NC so it felt very familiar - except for having 3x the power and all the electronic bells and whistles that a man could ever want. The BMW dealership is less than a mile from my house and the S1000XR is pulling at me like a magnet. Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.

Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.

Let me know how that goes. I've been practicing in front of a mirror, and I'm thinking of adding a PowerPoint with a few charts and graphs. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of BMWs - here is their answer to the Multistrada in a new color for '17, Ocean Blue - I want it!

78b6bb5e41b1167bcd1c3f7040f1ae1a_zpsqtaspgya.jpg

I test-rode one a few months ago and I can't get it out of my head. The geometry and weight of the bike is almost identical to the NC so it felt very familiar - except for having 3x the power and all the electronic bells and whistles that a man could ever want. The BMW dealership is less than a mile from my house and the S1000XR is pulling at me like a magnet. Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.

Just a note of caution. It has a serious high frequency vibration problem at normal cruising speeds in top gear through the handlebars. Not as obvious on a short test run but a real nuisance on long spins at steady speeds. It is otherwise a fantastic motorcycle. I suggest checking the fixes if any for this problem or checking if it has been sorted on the newer models.

My two motorcycles keep me busy and happy enough to not seriously think about shopping for yet another ; }

Just a note of caution. It has a serious high frequency vibration problem at normal cruising speeds in top gear through the handlebars. Not as obvious on a short test run but a real nuisance on long spins at steady speeds. It is otherwise a fantastic motorcycle. I suggest checking the fixes if any for this problem or checking if it has been sorted on the newer models.

Yes, I was aware of the vibe problem and I made sure to spend a good amount of time on the highway during my 1 hour + test-ride. I definitely felt the vibrations but I have since spent quite a bit of time on the XR forum and it seems that the vibes diminish as you put some miles on the bike. That, and adding heavier bar-end weights seem to make it a non-issue. Also, BMW is aware of the problem and the 2017 model addresses it. This is from a RideApart article:

The XR also climbs to 165 hp, and a payload increase of 24 lbs. The 2016 color options are joined by the new Ocean Blue metallic matt. The sporting adventurer also gets the anti-vibe bar, with “softer isolating elements on the handlebars that effectively prevent even the finest vibrations from being passed onto the handlebar ends.” (An improvement over previous models, then. We look forward to test riding it –Ed.)

I look forward to test-riding it too! My dealer is going to call me when the first '17 model hits the showroom floor. Ah, the flesh is weak.

Having fun on a motorcycle is not about having the most powerful, fastest bike on the planet. I'd venture a guess that most riders - even longtime sport bike riders - can barely use 50% of the potential of their bikes. And too much throttle in the wrong situation can put you down in an millisecond!

I hear you - i live near A&S in Roseville and i have to (have to i tell you !!!) ride past the dealership and try not to look - i too heard the 17 will address the vibration - im trying my hardest not to test ride it or it will be all over ! :)
on topic - i did want to test ride the Duc multistrada at the same dealership but all they had free was a diavel and i didnt like the foot forward position

Having fun on a motorcycle is not about having the most powerful, fastest bike on the planet. I'd venture a guess that most riders - even longtime sport bike riders - can barely use 50% of the potential of their bikes. And too much throttle in the wrong situation can put you down in an millisecond!

It took me many years to figure that one out, but nowadays I couldn't agree more. When I had my NC I used to get a huge buzz sitting on the tails of bikes that were much more powerful, on backroads.

Back