• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My First 3D Printed Motorcycle Part

halfSpinDoctor

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently gained access to a Monoprice Voxel 3D printer, through the student engineering club where I am an advisor, and I have been looking for small, simple projects to get started learning about 3D design and additive manufacturing.

The cheap plastic handguards I bought off of eBay were missing rubber spacers in the kit, and when I had them installed the ends would rattle. I went to the hardware store to get a black nylon spacer or washer, but they didn't really have what I was looking for in the correct size and inner diameter, so I decided to make my own!

The part is extremely basic: 12 mm ID, 25 mm OD, 7.5 mm long. I sketched it up in OnShape, which is a free browser-based CAD software package. The free version lets you make as many parts or assemblies as you want, but they will be publicly listed and accessible.

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.05.05.png

The print was done in PLA plastic. ABS will be more ideal, but I haven't gotten around to buying new filament yet. I used wide 3M blue tape and a coating of hairspray to get the part to adhere. It took me 4-5 attempts to get the head hight and temperature settings right to get good adhesion to the bed. The parts took 12 mins each to print:

IMG_5777.jpg IMG_5778.jpg

The result is a perfect fit! I left 1 mm of tolerance for the ID, and the spacers are snug but slide smoothly, and shouldn't rattle. With some neoprene washers on either end to protect the bar-end and throttle lock, and dampen out vibrations, the fit is snug with exactly the right length to hold the plastic guard from vibrating.

I may spray paint them black (or more likely redo them in black ABS), but for now I kind of like the red-orange look.

IMG_5800.jpgIMG_5801.jpg

Very nice! I’m beginning to see the potential of a 3D printer.

Looks great Halfspin and I love Onshape. It works much like Solidworks so it was a good choice for me at home. 670cc, once you have a 3d printer you'd be amazed at the uses you will find for it. Be warned though, like motorcycles, they tend to multiply out of control :D

Nice, the future has arrived. Now let's print some fairings that can be taken apart with bolts instead of tabs!

HalfSpinDoctor.......what is the "ring" with letters on it, just inboard of the bar end weights? . TIA

It wasn't too bad. The Kaoko replaces the entire bar-end weight. You have to remove not only the outer weight that sits on the end of the bar, but also the inner weight it screws into. This can be a little tricky, and is easiest to do if you first remove the right-side controls and loosen the throttle tube and slide it back to get at the tabs. See this thread for photos:

I had a fairly easy time doing it, but others have commented that it is very difficult.

The Kaoko is friction fit into the bar tube, with a clever design that drives a wedge outwards as you tighten the screw on the end to hold it in place. It comes with a sheet of copper foil that you can use as a shim, which takes a little trial and error to get right. They also suggest coating it with loc-tite to hold it, which I did not do and do not think is necessary.

Back