• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first ever ride

Saxeus

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my first motorcycle earlier today. A friend brought his little Honda 125cc offroad bike to my place, ran through a few of the basics and then let me jump on. I stalled it once but after a few gentle take-off tries the clutch and I had more of a mutual understanding. I'm not sure why some people say it's like riding a bicycle - I found it nothing like that. The additional weight makes low-speed manoeuvres totally different and is something I'll be focussing on next time. Some of the road still had lots of gravel and dried mud from where a water pipe had recently been fixed but fortunately this was not where I needed to do the about turns.

I must say the wind in the face (I was wearing a 3/4 helmet) even just going up and down the road practising clutch and gear changes was ... how to find a word for it ... it was "raw". The fine throttle response and sharp brakes compared to a car took a few minutes to get used to but never left me with a feeling of 'I can't control this thing', but rather like it would do everything I want it to do the instant I give input. I currently drive a little Mazda MX-5 and the thing I love most about it is the nimble handling and the driver-input feedback that lets you "feel" the road. Riding a motorcycle evokes a similar sense but ten-fold more intense. That 'exposed to the world' description is right on the money.

One thing I noticed was the clutch hand getting tired and sore fairly quickly. I don't know if it was a hard clutch pull or just my hand not used to the action. Probably both, but I intend getting a DCT in due course anyway so I suppose it won't matter.

I will be writing the learner's test on Tuesday, and hopefully soon be putting my order in for a silver NC750X.

Good luck. It's great you have a buddy that is letting you practice on his bike. Take advantage of that if you can. The more practice you get the better. Glad your enjoying it so far.

Samsung Galaxy S4

I've had two MX-5's. Great little cars! You are dead-on about feed back on that car.

Look forward to seeing you with your NC!

My first ride... I was 10 it was a Honda Z50...they call them monkeybikes now. (40 years ago).
Your feelings mirror mine. it never leaves. (Except for the hour or so you are stuck in the rainstorm with no wet weather gear hehe)
Congratulations and welcome to the club for life.
Nebo.

Back