• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My frunk is locked!

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After Guy and I changed the air-filter on my 2013 NC700X DCT (see "Having a Technical Day in Northern Illinois"), the frunk (lid) left locked. It could be the cable, or something else broke. In meantime I'm back home in Iowa, about 160 miles away from Guy's garage. I'll probably ride to him in about 2 weeks to try to fix it, but commuting/riding with documents in the frunk is not so good idea if a cop stops me.
So, in case somebody had the same, or similar issue, how to open the lid from "outside"?

P.S. Options like THIS are not an option!
:D

I am not sure how to help, but I imagine this is why my 2013 came with 2 different keys when I bought it, one for the ignition and one for the frunk. I assume my frunk has had a new lock installed.

Maybe there's a weak point in the locks on those models? Will it still turn to the right but just doesn't unlock it? Or is it stuck and won't turn to the right at all? Will it still turn to the left and unlock the rear seat to access fuel tank?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am not sure how to help, but I imagine this is why my 2013 came with 2 different keys when I bought it, one for the ignition and one for the frunk. I assume my frunk has had a new lock installed...
I believe so. I'm pretty sure there supposed to be only one key for all three.

... Will it still turn to the right but just doesn't unlock it?
Correct.

... Will it still turn to the left and unlock the rear seat to access fuel tank?
Yes.

certain year of NC had a recall on the lock to the frunk due to this issue, check you vin and have the dealer deal with it if part of the recall

certain year of NC had a recall on the lock to the frunk due to this issue, check you vin and have the dealer deal with it if part of the recall

Without pestering a dealer to check for recalls on a particular vin#, is there a way to check it myself online? Curious about mine as well.

I’m pretty sure the recall website is for NHTSA safety recalls. The frunk fix may have been a service campaign or technical service bulletin.

Press down on the lid and remove the key. Then re-insert the key slowly, stopping frequently to turn the key to the right. Maintain the downward lid pressure while you turn the key.

MIGHT work.

So, how do you open a frunk with a broken lock mechanism?
I went out in the garage and looked at mine. I hoped you could maybe shim the mechanism, so I used a tool to move the latch into the locked position while the frunk lid was open and nope- when it's locked it's locked.

I would contact a dealer and see if they know any tricks, it had to have happened to another owner by now.

After that the question may come down to; how much damage are you willing to do?

It may be possible to wiggle a hacksaw blade in there and cut the loop on underside of the frunk lid, then carefully pry it up.

Last edited:
Don't go breaking things. Take it to a dealer and they can open it for you. I had the lid lock fail on my 14 due to those bad mechanisms discussed earlier. I took it to the dealer, they opened it and fixed it in about 30 minutes.

According to one guy and his post on Facebook, it's possible to unlock the lid without breaking anything. Just taking all panels off.
I'll stop by my Honda dealer tomorrow to check how much time it will take and how much they will charge me.

If pushing down on the lid while try opening...dealer or take the plastic off and go from there (if you can)...when you guys reattached all the plastic after your maintenance weekend, I bet something didnt get aligned correctly..
Yes, there is a chance. To be honest, I would prefer that one, rather that something broke... :D

And, once the lid is open - first thing to do is this!!!
Emergency Frunk Cable made simple
:D

This topic came up on the forum here rather early in the (American-market) history of the NCX. There was at least tacit agreement here to _not_ post instructions on the web for how to open the frunk without a key, so that any would-be thieves out there had to figure it out for themselves rather than just looking up the break-in procedure here on the forum. (-:

I feel knowing how to open a stuck frunk is of much more value then worrying about someone taking parts off my bike to break into the frunk!

If someone wants to break in, a claw hammer or pry bar will make quick destructive access and damage the bike.

I'd rather a prospective thief take parts off to break in. Much more likely to be caught in the act and slower then a smash and grab!

That view was part of the discussion, too. That’s why I chose the phrase would-be thieves. Door locks are not about keeping professionals out, they’re about keeping your nearly-honest ‘neighbors’ out. :)

At the time, instructions like those sought here were sometimes PM’d or emailed. I don’t have them, so I can’t offer that.

Back