• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My frunk is locked!

If someone has those instructions on FRUNK lock work around, I see no need to hide them. If a thief is targeting NC storage the lock is not a factor ....plus....they probably have no problem stealing the whole bike.

If you have security issue or problems with locks........take a look at what YouTube publishes on padlock lock picking.

Edit:

One of several Prior posts on the topic
How to open glove box without a key

1. HOW TO OPEN THE GLOVE BOX WHEN THE KEY WILL NOT OPEN IT.
2. IF THE KEY WILL TURN CLOCKWISE AND THE GLOVE BOX WILL NOT OPEN. BUT THE REAR SEAT WILL WHEN TURNED COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
3. POSSIBLE LIKE MY BIKE, THE WHITE CABLE HOLDER ON THE BOTTOM OF THE KEY ASSEMBLY, IS BAD. THIS PART IS NOT AVAILABLE MY ITSELF, YOU HAVE TO BY A LOCK ASSEMBLY. HERE IS HOW TO GET TO THE CABLE TO OPEN THE GLOVE BOX
1. REMOVE THE TWO PUSH PINS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BLACK PLASTIC HOUSING THAT THE GLOVE BOX KEY GOES IN.
2. NOW YOU CAN PULL THE RIGHT SIDE SILVER PLASTIC SCOOP BACKWARDS. PULL IT BACKWARD JUST ENOUGH TO PULL THE FRONT CLIPS OUT OF THE BLACK PLASTIC, YOU MAY BRAKE THE TAB ON THE UPPER REAR CORNER OF THE SILVER SCOOP, BE VERY CAREFULL, THERE IS STILL ONE BOLT HOLDING THIS COVER, THAT IS UNDER THE DOOR OF THE GLOVE BOX THAT YOU CANT GET TO, BECAUSE THE LID IS IT THE CLOSED POSITION, BUT NOW IF YOU JUST PULL THE SILVER SCOOP UP YOU CAN SEE A HOLE, LOOK WITH A FLASH LIGHT AND YOU CAN SEE THE LOCK AND CABLE.
3. MAKE A SMALL ROD WITH A HOOK IN IT,, HOOK ONLY THE INNER CABLE, NOT THE OUTER HOUSEING, PULL ON THIS INNER CABLE AND THE GLOVE BOX WILL OPEN,, THEN YOU CAN TAKE IT ALL APART TO GET TO THE LOCK. HOPEFULLY THESE PIC WILL HELP. IF NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I WILL HELP YOU GET TO IT. DALE

The photos are lost as they were on photobucket.

Last edited:
Press down on the lid and remove the key. Then re-insert the key slowly, stopping frequently to turn the key to the right. Maintain the downward lid pressure while you turn the key.

MIGHT work.

Tried yesterday couple times. Nope, didn't work... :(

... How to open glove box without a key...
You should've see my face of excitement - after I realized it's actually the stef AFTER I figure out how to open my locked frunk...
:D

Thanks, this is gonna be probably the first thing to do once I fix my lid...

Afan............
You probably have the issue solved by now but would this help? It might enable you to see the latch and how you might proceed from there.

Suddenly, I didn't. Visited Honda dealer and after I talked to the guy I found (reading between the lines) they have no idea how to do it. First he told me he doesn't know how long it could take it ("... maybe 15 minutes but maybe couple hours...") nor how much it could cost me ("... maybe $50, maybe $100..." - what actually means probably $150 :D ). And, also, I had to leave the bike for a week because they have lot of work to do (this one I can believe...).
No, I didn't leave the bike. I'll try to do it myself, or visit "Guy the guy" on next Sunday and try together in his garage.

This is good idea! I have (had?!?) one of those - have to find it. Also, I bought it 5-6 years ago but never worked well on my old Samsung 3. Nice toy to have fun but didn't help me with my problem. But, maybe the "new" one could be more helpful?

Thanks for the idea!

I locked my ignition key in the frunk about an hour before dark on the southern shore of Lake Superior with no one around except my riding buddy who had a couple of tools.
(The universal chinese scooter key (a screwdriver shoved in the lock) does not work, Honda makes some damn fine locks.)

So after destroying the lock, we tried to pry the frunk open and despite being all plastic, that doesn't work either.

I managed to get the left fuct cover off without damaging it, then managed to shove a screwdriver in sideways between the other plastics and tripped the latch.

Since then I've added an emergency release (a string) that's hidden in the frame.

I had to replace the portion of the console that contains the lock and the lock because I destroyed them both. ($120 but could have been worse, was able to continue my vaction with a bungeed frunk lid.)

Now my bike has two keys, one for the ignition and one for the frunk, which is on a frunk knob and bonus it can't be used to start the bike.

I'm also confident leaving valuables in my frunk (key/knob removed) because goddamn that thing is a ***** to crack.

I carry a spare key in my riding coat. Has worked as flawless insurance so far. I have never locked the key in the frunk...but we all know if I didn't care the key for one day it would be the day I lost it or locked it inside...

Not sure if I told this story here yet:

I rode to my dentists office one day and after locking my helmet in the tail case I thought why not lock my jacket in the frunk? That way I wouldn't have to haul a bulky jacket in with me. Of course, as soon as I shut the lid of the frunk I wondered "Where are my keys?" In the jacket pocket!
I immediately called the Auto Club, as I had the motorcycle coverage added to my membership. They said it would be 1 1/2 hours.

So I took the bus home. I hadn't owned my bike long, and had never got the chance to have a duplicate key made (it only came with one when I bought it used).
So I got a bunch of tools and a coat hanger, put them in my car and drove back to the bike, which was on the street.

I struggled for about 30 minutes trying to pry the frunk open enough to where I could fish out my jacket with a pair of needle nose pliers, or at least access the pocket with the keys.
It just wouldn't open enough. Auto Club never showed. When I called they said that they didn't work on motorcycles! They only tow them. What a waste of money! I dropped that coverage on the next renewal bill.

I then did some math in my head. I figured a locksmith could charge me $150 just to show up and might probably damage the lock, which would cost around $200 for parts and labor. So I pulled out a crow bar and rag and popped the frunk open. No gentle way to do this. It makes a LOT of noise. It broke the locking mechanism, but I was able to bend it out of the way so that the lid closes all the way. I used industrial strength velcro to keep it closed.
I had to order 3 replacement parts, but they take about 3 weeks to get here.

Good news: I opened the lid/frunk :D

20190615_120350.jpg

So, finally found some time to try to open the lid. Now, after I did it and whan I know what am I doing, I can say it's not so hard. :D
The most of the time I spend doing research again on the forum how to do it. And I can say, without these posts I wouldn't be able to do it:

How to open glove box without a key by HONDABIKEPRO (although, the images are broken and it would be even more helpful if they work)

How to open glove box without a key by citizenalpha, the image and the comment: "... It takes a lot more pulling power/strength than feels appropriate before it'll unlatch - my first couple of tries I just gave up because nothing was happening when I first met resistance..."

So, made a hook, hooked to the right spot, pulled it firmly...

20190615_120426.jpg

... and it's done.

Bad news: the lock is broken

[video=youtube_share;kiB8UPG9NKs]https://youtu.be/kiB8UPG9NKs[/video]

Already ordered at the local store. About $30.
77239-MGS-D32 and this link

Last edited:
Does the same key unlock the back seat? Sounds like something didnt get aligned correctly. Have you tried pushing down slightly on the frunk when turning the key and see if it releases...
We were opening and closing it numerous times prior to this after it was reassembled.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Afan,
If you are not going to take that lock apart but are going to just throw it away please keep it. I would like to take it apart and find out why it didn't work. Curious to see if it was the white plastic piece that was the pro9blem and can be fixed with a screw like in that video I found.

Afan,
If you are not going to take that lock apart but are going to just throw it away please keep it. I would like to take it apart and find out why it didn't work. Curious to see if it was the white plastic piece that was the pro9blem and can be fixed with a screw like in that video I found.

It's yours! :D

You may be able to transfer the tumblers from the original lock to the new one. Then you can have the same key for frunk and ignition.
Disassemble the broken one first to see if it is worth the effort taking the new lock apart.

JT

Yesterday I was replacing the broken seat/tank lock with new one. Removing was actually really easy (even for me). :D
I put new one, put it back on the bike, put all plastic back and than... found I have 2 screws left in my magnetic tray ?!?!?

20190622_162545.jpg

20190622_162533.jpg

Today I went through the whole process again and still can't find any place where the screws supposed to go?!?!? Only place I see is this one:

20190622_151942.jpg

... but I really don't remember I touched this part of the bike when trying to unlock the frunk?!? And, after "better" inspection, I don't see any use of these holes as well. Probably something for S and/or R version of NC700?

Back