• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My NC gas mileage last tank

My bike has a Honda touring windscreen and the side racks were installed I didn't use any of my boxes and I weigh about 165 lbs. I run Shinko 705s they are cheap as dirt and are lasting a long time.

Since the Shinko 705 rear tire does not come in the stock NC700X 160/60 size, do you have a speedo healer, or did you mathematically correct for odometer error? If you're running a 150/70 tire, with its larger diameter, the odometer will under report your actual distance. So you would have actually traveled farther than 270.9 miles.

Last edited:
Speedo is 1 mile per hour off per gps its actually almost dead nuts

Speedometer doesn't measure distance ;-)

That doesn't tell you if your odometer is off. Check your odo against the GPS and see what you get. There is about a 3% difference in the two tires when each has traveled a mile.

Last edited:
I have 25k miles on my 2012, Shinko 705's and dropped my countershaft 1 tooth to 15. Yesterday my tank read 83 mpg according to Fuelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you change ratios via sprockets and tire diameter/circumference mileage and odometer are no longer accurate unless adjusted. Gearing Commander will give you an idea of what's real with the new ratio, or you can put a Speedo Healer inline. Or GPS can aid.

Once you change ratios via sprockets and tire diameter/circumference mileage and odometer are no longer accurate unless adjusted. Gearing Commander will give you an idea of what's real with the new ratio, or you can put a Speedo Healer inline. Or GPS can aid.

I realized this a long time ago when I added a speedo healer to my first motorcycle changing gear ratios 1up and 2 down can jack your speedo up as much 15 mph optimistic according to GPs and this will also mess up the odometer just as some put larger tires on there truck you will be hiding actual mileage the odometer will count slower the speedo will read slower as well. You can dial the speedo healer for odometer accuracy or speed or the best between the 2. even though the diameter of the 705 is taller the readings on my bike hardly changed at all my odometer is very accurate and so is my speedo I have checked them both. I have a 15 mile commute to work via gps according to my odometer it's 14.9 miles. Actually the nc speedo and odometer is one of the most accurate I have had of any motorcycle I have ever owned

Last edited:
I have been getting 75 MPG lately. I think I could be getting 80+ MPG, but i drive on roads that I would get ran off the road if I wasn't running 55-60 mph. Im content with 45-50 since I always leave in plenty of time, but understand people wanting me to go the speed limit.

I used to get 60/70mpg no less than 60mpg and I always ride two up.
my current bike is just as good if not better(tracer 700)
I've just put a bigger front sprocket from 16t to 17t and the ride is smoother and a little longer in between changing gear.
my clock must be more near to the mph now.
once I'm tired of my new bike in about 3 or 4 years time I will more than likely go back to the NC but the 'S' model.
I do miss the Auto and frunk inc hand brake.

When I taught MSF courses back in the Dark Ages, we had a session on Day 1 when each student told the group why they wanted to ride. I had to chuckle when one or more said "I want to save money on gas." I had to point out that yes, they could save money on gas but what about maintenance, tires, insurance and the need to have a car anyhow. :)

Since the Shinko 705 rear tire does not come in the stock NC700X 160/60 size, do you have a speedo healer, or did you mathematically correct for odometer error? If you're running a 150/70 tire, with its larger diameter, the odometer will under report your actual distance. So you would have actually traveled farther than 270.9 miles.

This is from my last tank. I'm running a 705 150/70. There's not a lot of difference between the Trip and GPS for me to worry about.

3066/17/17301.005.21457.731.9595%91 octane no ethanol commuting 10 over with two gallons added from the garage' Odometer- 55504 Trip A- 300.5 GPS- 301.07

...less than 3% which is pretty good for motorcycles, based on generic tire size, and not actual which tends to vary...

This next tank of fuel in trying to stretch even further so far I have managed 195 miles and I still have 2 bars on the gauge. Hoping this will be my 300 mile tank. So far I have only hit 65mph once the rest of the time it has been 60 mph or less so we shall see how far I stretch it I'm definitely getting more miles on this tank than I got on the last I know I can manage 60 plus miles once I'm in to reserve if I'm easy on the throttle its gonna be close.

This next tank of fuel in trying to stretch even further so far I have managed 195 miles and I still have 2 bars on the gauge. Hoping this will be my 300 mile tank. So far I have only hit 65mph once the rest of the time it has been 60 mph or less so we shall see how far I stretch it I'm definitely getting more miles on this tank than I got on the last I know I can manage 60 plus miles once I'm in to reserve if I'm easy on the throttle its gonna be close.

The challenge is on! I have a good tank going, too. I think I lost the first bar at 85 miles, and second one dropped off around 140. I may hypermile the rest and see how far she goes.

I recall getting better mileage when I've ridden in Colorado. I suppose the thinner air helps. Essentially the engine is an air pump, so when riding there, the engine is "smaller". Wind drag would be reduced, too.

Good luck with your 300 mile quest!

Last edited:
Snipped.....The challenge is on! I have a good tank going, too. I think I lost the first bar at 85 miles, and second one dropped off around 140. I may hypermile the rest and see how far she goes. ...
What is your hypermiling technique of choice? I've never done anything more but try to be smoooth, keep rpms and speed under 45. I've read of a pulsing technique but never tried it.

What is your hypermiling technique of choice? I've never done anything more but try to be smoooth, keep rpms and speed under 45. I've read of a pulsing technique but never tried it.

My technique is the same as what you described. The wife and I have been riding on the (sometimes one lane) rural farm roads and we just poke along at 35-50 mph, relaxed, enjoying the ride. The roads are sometimes rough and with loose gravel, although traffic is zero. High mpg comes naturally at those speeds.

Last edited:
Today seemed like the ideal day to complete another 300 mile tank. The wind was light and everyone was sleeping in on a Sunday morning. I left the house with the trip odo at 190 miles and I had lost the third fuel bar on the previous ride at around 185 miles. Things were starting off really well. I encountered only 7 other cars in the first 1.5 hours of riding, and only one overtook me, so I was able to set my pace without being rushed around. The second to the last fuel bar disappeared for good at 240 miles, so I knew a 300 mile tank would be easy.

Mission accomplished!

I used the GPS to get me to a fuel station at just past 300 miles. I rolled up to the pump with 302 miles on the trip meter. The tank took in 3.55 gallons. This is the same amount I put in the last time I did a 300 mile tank. My calculations, based on the spec 3.7 gallon capacity, is the bike would have coasted to a stop at around 315 miles. The calculated 85 miles per gallon on this tank was quite respectable, but far away from my record 94.5 mpg. Since adding the Madstad screen and Cycle Gear hand guards, I think getting into the 90s is probably not going to happen anymore.

The average speed on this tank was probably around 45 mph. On today's 120 mile ride, the RPM never got to 3000.

If anyone was wondering, yes, I did have a gallon of spare gas on board in a Rotopax, in case the plan failed. Also, on a totally off-subject note: I came across a grain elevator scale that was powered on, so I rode the NC up on it and it said 700 pounds (me plus bike).

Now back to "regular" riding.

image1(5).JPG
image2(2).jpg
image3.jpg

Last edited:
I've never gotten remotely close to that, but all of my riding is done at speeds in excess of 70mph and usually closer to 75-80.

Today seemed like the ideal day to complete another 300 mile tank. The wind was light and everyone was sleeping in on a Sunday morning. I left the house with the trip odo at 190 miles and I had lost the third fuel bar on the previous ride at around 185 miles. Things were starting off really well. I encountered only 7 other cars in the first 1.5 hours of riding, and only one overtook me, so I was able to set my pace without being rushed around. The second to the last fuel bar disappeared for good at 240 miles, so I knew a 300 mile tank would be easy.

Mission accomplished!

I used the GPS to get me to a fuel station at just past 300 miles. I rolled up to the pump with 302 miles on the trip meter. The tank took in 3.55 gallons. This is the same amount I put in the last time I did a 300 mile tank. My calculations, based on the spec 3.7 gallon capacity, is the bike would have coasted to a stop at around 315 miles. The calculated 85 miles per gallon on this tank was quite respectable, but far away from my record 94.5 mpg. Since adding the Madstad screen and Cycle Gear hand guards, I think getting into the 90s is probably not going to happen anymore.

The average speed on this tank was probably around 45 mph. On today's 120 mile ride, the RPM never got to 3000.

If anyone was wondering, yes, I did have a gallon of spare gas on board in a Rotopax, in case the plan failed. Also, on a totally off-subject note: I came across a grain elevator scale that was powered on, so I rode the NC up on it and it said 700 pounds (me plus bike).

Now back to "regular" riding.

View attachment 34006
View attachment 34007
View attachment 34008
That's what I'm talking about... I haven't ridden my NC over the last week I'm stuck at 245 miles I might have hosed myself because of evaporation. Anyway on my way out now with the aux fuel can just to be sure I was defiantly on pace to hit 300 my first bar didn't drop until 96 miles on this tank.

Back