• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My nc700x DCT kickstand is worn through, GIVI ES1111 footprint plate is just too darned big. Really!!!

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new stand, but never installed it. The back of the base has a hole in it, but otherwise holds the bike up.

I instead added a GIVI ES1111 aluminum footprint base plate extension to the worn stand base and added a firm flexible glue so I could park in the dirt. Texas sand is very soft. And the bike would fall over. The GIVI footprint plate works. It does. But now it is tricky to raise the stand. It catches.

New problem. The extension is too large and too heavy. Darnit! Who would make this kick stand base plate so large that it is almost unusable? When I hit a bump, the stand falls. The bike stalls. Wow. Unsafe. Ok guys. Who sells a product off-the-shelf that would stall your bike? The DCT will cut out if the stand drops. This is a safety feature. Many bikes have this feature now. Have you ever clutched the bike out of first gear only to find your kickstand is still down? Ouch.

There are easy solutions. One. Cut the kickstand switch wire and solder the wires together on the left side of the motor under the front sprocket cover. You can twist them or clamp them. Take your pick. Use lots of plastic or rubber tape. If these wires do not make contact, you cannot put the bike in gear. Nobody ever noticed that I disabled this feature. It also makes the bike dirt-worthy. A bike inspector might find that. But not so far. To put the bike into Neutral is always a trick. But I really don't have any new technical issues.

Then I got some safety goggles and bench grinder and slowly ground away the edge of the GIVI plate 1/16 of an inch at a time. Eventually, I shrunk the plate down 3/8 of an inch. It is a lot lighter. But the stand still fell when I jumped the bike. So.... I added rubber bands to the spring. I could not find an aftermarket spring that was stronger. Anyone??? Most of them are the wrong shape.

About 8 rubber bands worked like a bungie across the spring pins. If any one of them failed, it would still work. It looks really dumb. But it works. The stand now stays up when you raise it and hit a bump.

Wear your best goggles. Aluminum will vaporize and find its way into your eyes. I know. It happened to me after 20 minutes of grinding. Flush your eyes with water. Use pharmacy grade eye lubricant. Don't panic unless you have to. You have one set of eyes. Buy goggles. Not safety glasses. Safety glasses wont protect your eyes from this activity. Last warning. Safety glasses wont work. Take it from a part-time mo-ron with a grinder who knows better.

I needed a dirt worthy NC700x, and I need solutions now. So, I do what I need to do to make it work. Yes. There are ways to make an NC700x fully dirt worthy without losing the highway controllability. We dirt boys all want the best of both worlds.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a more dirt worthy bike is the answer. The NCX is capable of off road riding but if you are jumping it something else will break soon.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Well said and oh so true. The stock suspension was pretty weak for a big guy like me. Any pothole was pretty jarring and the center stand was up and down constantly. The side stand was OK before I put on the GIVI. I had a few problems from the dealership. No bike is perfect.

Since the YSS suspension went on, things are a lot better. If you want to rip along in the dirt, get a dirt bike. But, 20MPH to 30PMH down a dirt road is about right for a good safe stable trip. For now, I no longer worry when the ground drops away. Even when I am standing.

The point of this particular thread was, I put the GIVI plate on, and created a problem when I parked and when I rode. Even the smallest little pop into the air and it was a total mess.

I want a worry-free no-nonsense awesome ride... even when I hit a hole in the ground. I never want to guess why my bike sputtered... or why it made a banging sound.

It took some chips out of the new GIVI plate too when it was full width. This is how I got the idea to grind it down. I wanted to hide my screw up.

A better suspension will keep your stand in place. A few well placed rubber bands will do it too. And then there is always the pre-ride vehicle choice as well as the terrain choice. Make the right choices when you ride. You will always come back smiling.

In the long run, the GIVI plate is a good purchase. But, be prepared to grind or saw. I highly recommend cutting off the front edge. I don't need to find a flat fossil to prop my bike up.

Attachments

• tempImagesgje5I.png
    tempImagesgje5I.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

NWGABikeGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoy your writing style. I do. Very entertaining and informative. It is. I am just curious about one thing - and honestly not trying to be snarky. I'm not. Why did you buy an NC700X to begin with? What kind of bike did you think you were getting? It is obvious that you know a lot about motorcycles, so I am interested to learn your thinking on this. I have an old rag top convertible that I love to haul my wife and dog around in and enjoy the fresh air. I have an old pick-up truck that I use for hauling stuff like mulch, pine straw, dirt, tools, trash, etc. I don't try to make either vehicle fill both roles. I jumped out of airplanes with the 82nd Airborne, but I wouldn't jump my NC700X unless it was Great Escape time and the bad guys were after me with machine guns!! I admire your guts and your smarts, but I don't follow your line of logic.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had no trouble riding my NC700Xs on hard packed dirt and gravel roads at speeds generally up to 50 mph. I stayed away from sand more than a few inches deep over a hard under layer though sometimes you can't avoid it when the road condition changes a few miles into the woods. The side stand never gave issue over bumpy roads like this. IIRC there are two springs on the side stand with one inside the other. Are both springs present? Myself I wouldn't disable the side stand switch to deal with this. I've been riding over 50 years and still occasionally roll down my sloped driveway with the side stand down in anticipation of popping the clutch with transmission in gear to start it. It's always an abrupt jolt and a wobble on my part when the side stand hits the concrete drive way.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually. Yes. Both springs are there, and I have a new spring on my workbench. The full size GIVI was just too much for the bouncing. I think the wind may have been catching it also. Cutting it down was the way to go. Whenever I kicked the plate down and forward, it always caught the ground funky. And throwing it back up was awkward. They do give you a lot of material to work with. I was thinking of reshaping it and grinding little toes and a heel into it. But naaaaah.

I looking into Harley replacement springs. I could not get one that would clear the switch assembly. I searched amazon and google and Facebook and all that. Checked out other dealer new parts lists. No luck. So. Rubber bands.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoy your writing style. I do. Very entertaining and informative. It is. I am just curious about one thing - and honestly not trying to be snarky. I'm not. Why did you buy an NC700X to begin with? What kind of bike did you think you were getting? It is obvious that you know a lot about motorcycles, so I am interested to learn your thinking on this. I have an old rag top convertible that I love to haul my wife and dog around in and enjoy the fresh air. I have an old pick-up truck that I use for hauling stuff like mulch, pine straw, dirt, tools, trash, etc. I don't try to make either vehicle fill both roles. I jumped out of airplanes with the 82nd Airborne, but I wouldn't jump my NC700X unless it was Great Escape time and the bad guys were after me with machine guns!! I admire your guts and your smarts, but I don't follow your line of logic.
Because I had a small collection of bikes at the time already. A fast one. A small dirt road one, a highway-blasting feet-and-hips-forward one, a full on modded dual-sport and a ruckus. Heh! A ruckus.

A dirt bike cannot go 4 hours on Texas highways. Let us face it. You get blown all over the place. The wind blast is just too much... and I wear a plastic plate jacket and a full face helmet for the summer. A normal jacket has far too much drag. Check out the Moto Fox Titan Jacket. I wear my rain gear under it.

Ever get sucked into a Toyota Camry that passed you a little too fast and a little too close? I digress.

Back to buying a new old bike for my collection...

I found that the tire sometimes makes or breaks the sale on anything I buy. And I just was not happy with the price vs. tire choices on what I could buy. The nc750s were nice looking and had nice features, but oh... they rode so poorly. Every little bump and crease. Ow. Now, ok, I have spine issues, so I am a little sensitive, but even with my pain drugs giving me visions of spandex and capes, I could not feel comfortable.

Eventually, I found my nc700x with Pilots front and rear. The ride was nice, but dammit, I could not steer. The front and rear tire had a lot of mass in it. That was fixable. As long as I could go hours and hours and ride it on the highway. The suspension still bottomed out a lot. I had another DCT before. They are quick. Super quick. But someone modded the pipe and screwed this one up. I can tune bikes in all sorts of ways. I can fix that too. Someone loved this bike to death. Then traded it. Now it is mine.

Why am I switching bikes? I always find a reason. Texas sandy soil causes large sink pits in highways. Sometimes three lanes wide. When you hit these going 75mph, bad things happen. I had my Spyder airborne many many times. Yes. That is insane. Who flies through the air on a Spyder?? I had to re-assess my survivability.

I looked at the age of the nc700x bike, the money I was saving, and put that money into modifications.

I mod like some people chew. As long as I can swallow it, I mod. If it works, I won't mod. I wont change what is not broke. If I can get my bike into my shag swing, I am taking it apart.

I have a lot of smart people I can turn to... as on such forums, to help me fix whatever I do not like. Lots of part sources. Dallas is motorcycle central. Look up Strokers Dallas. The Mecca of motorcycles. Everything like it except for a crowd of people walking in a circle around a giant box. Well, not the box anyway.

Perfection is a long series of near misses that eventually produce a desired result. Sometimes perfection requires you to knock a part or two off your bike. Sometimes, you gotta ask a friend. Sometimes, I ask my wife.

Perfection is finding that perfect field of flowers on your last adventure ride.

Thank you for your comments and enthusiasm. I am only human and need all the help I can get.

Perfection is that sticker you always wanted on your windshield.

Attachments

• tempImageqKQJBK.png
    tempImageqKQJBK.png
    12 MB · Views: 31
  • tempImage93xBbi.png
    tempImage93xBbi.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 28
  • tempImagew8oJtx.png
    tempImagew8oJtx.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

brb

Reaction score
Visit site
Never had a problem when i installed a side stand foot on my NC. Has been on a few years it is great on HOT parking lots and the dirt. As we all know the NC is a great street bike but any real dirt riding will prove that its no dirt bike,( 17in front rim,475 lbs). The side stand dropping when hitting any bumps be it street or dirt is a BIG problem. The side stand pivot does req. some maintenance. Have you disassembled cleaned re greased it ? The stock springs hold the side stands on most bikes "over center" to prevent it from dropping. I,am guessing you may have some type of damage from a spill but you need to fix this. The safety switch is not something to disable they will safe you a lot of pain.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
...and the frame hole was out-of-round for the pivot bolt. I did not want to drill it and sleeve it. Welding was not practical. Whenever I get a weld guy to work on a vehicle, stuff always comes back cooked. The hole is not so bad that it warranted extreme repair. The new double spring was not all the different from the old one. The bike tilts a little more than usual on the stand, but that helps when the road tilts weird near the sidewalk.

This bike was originally designed for city bumps. The plate kinda created a new problem given my adventure devil-may-care attitude.

I have seen these bikes in Asia quite a bit. People either choose a big scooter or one of these.

Rubber bands can fix anything. I found a wrist poly band that actually worked better yesterday.

I am not afraid to rig up a solution. Sometimes, the rigged solution is better than reworking the design. Even my VMAX had a weird o-ring problem on the oil filter. I read up on how oil rings seal, how they fail, and added something new. Sometimes you just need to do that. Besides. I like the pretty colors under my nc700x.

Why am I blogging today? Because there is a major storm wave over Dallas.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
As ddueling recommended, buy a real dirt bike. :)
I Would rather get there without a trailer. And as I speak right now, and I’m doing this through my helmet, I am here. Farm 407 W. near Justin Texas. And these are real Buffalo. And... then I am 10 miles away in the dirt.

Attachments

• 28080BDE-9D9A-454D-A018-59FD676B0C47.jpeg
    28080BDE-9D9A-454D-A018-59FD676B0C47.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 6D120250-A2F0-4F09-B3E2-B6E18978DD76.jpeg
    6D120250-A2F0-4F09-B3E2-B6E18978DD76.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2F0F83F1-8F2D-4D8C-9F03-103E5D4D19AC.jpeg
    2F0F83F1-8F2D-4D8C-9F03-103E5D4D19AC.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Some people work with motorcycles. I am one with my bike. It is a very zen thing. I ride more than some people walk. To be honest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
... and now I am outside Keeter Tx which is.... oh crap. I am lost. You get my point. You can’t ride these distances so easily. Or have this versatility on a dirt bike. Dirt bikes are short-haul gas-burning noise makers. Fun. Yes. But I move fairly silently.... and I don’t scare off the wildlife.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
I Would rather get there without a trailer. And as I speak right now, and I’m doing this through my helmet, I am here. Farm 407 W. near Justin Texas. And these are real Buffalo. And... then I am 10 miles away in the dirt.
No need to trailer an Africa Twin.. :cool:

Run 80 on the interstate, heavy enough to not get blown away, and capable of being ridden like a real dirt bike....or even a trails bike. :p

Also, Toni Bou is one of the most impressive riders I've seen.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Good point. Why did I not buy an Africa Twin? My bike was $4500. $5500 with dirt upgrades. Africa twins are great But i could not deal with the system boot time on startup. Then... the high center of mass. I could not flat foot the ground. Not until the later models. And then... as great as all the rest of the Africa Twin is... it is just so darn heavy. Even the DCT can wear you down with my terrain choices and riding style.

I plan on crashing. All the time. And i just could not in my right mind repeatedly crash a $10,000 bike. The Africa twin is tough. But not that tough.

i would much rather crash the NC and re-skin it eventually. Then i could change my color scheme. I have taken the NC apart. It is more or less an engine-integrated scooter frame with a dirt swingarm. It is actually fairly tough. Very low center of gravity. This is what the Africa Twin lacks.

I think think the AT is cool and all... it has that cool factor. But a bare AT feels like a fully loaded NC. Yes. You have all that extra liter bike power. But half your dirt riding is all you. Your muscles do the work. Throw around an AT for four hours and you are done for the day. I ride a lot of bigger bikes. I know how the AT feels. There is an awful lot of weight high up.

So. Love the AT! Too expensive. Too heavy. Great for long haul cross country and highway. If you plan on sitting and riding for 10 hours, get the AT.

If you plan on bouncing around all day, maybe the NC is better for you. You can always put 2 liters of ice tea in your trunk where the gas would normally be... and still feel lighter in the dirt. There is even room for a sandwich and a bag of hot wings. Oh. And room for a tire patch kit. A pullover, a cargo net. A tool kit... and... and...

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I am fairly fully loaded in this picture taken in Keeter?? Texas. Now. Wild guess! Where is my food, my drink, my electric tire pump, my service kit, my extra clothes, my cargo net. All that? And my wife wanted me to pick up dinner on the way home. Hot wings. So where did all that go?

Hint. It is all inside the bike.

Attachments

• F8FEE226-FAE1-4BAC-98A6-CEF4F5CF812E.jpeg
    F8FEE226-FAE1-4BAC-98A6-CEF4F5CF812E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14