• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My new helmet

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just purchased an AGV Ax-8 dual evo today. On clearance for some reason with parts unlimited for roughly 60% off. I have been somewhat looking for a new helmet, no big hurry since my Shoei is holding strong of course. Just couldn't pass the deal. Pretty sweet looking helmet, as quiet as the rf1000 and padding as comfortable as well. Very very happy with the serious amounts of vision this helmet produces. Your peripheral view doubles at least. I felt like the commute I have been taking for a year and a half had a completely different view. You really have to get used to the spoiler on the front though, it doesn't ever pull to the point of pain but you get some tugging if your not in the "sweet spot". I couldn't get the shield to fog even while trying to breathe heavy in the rain, so very happy with that. Ventilation feels on par if not better than the shoei as well. Only complaint so far is rain riding, which tropical storm Andrea is dealing plenty of. The shield lets water on the inside at the top so rain drops run down the inside of the shield, no big deal until you realize water runs distort your vision immensely! I will have to look the helmet over and see if there is a easy quick fix to help it seal better. Some crap pics from my phone and an awesome google one lol.

e3u7e2y3.jpg

a4ahunyn.jpg

zenuzegy.jpg

ehujetes.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking helmet. As you know, helmets are often clearance when they get old. What is the build date?

6/2012 manufacture date. Not long enough for me to think they should be giving them away. It's a pretty new model but hey I'm not complaining its a good price.

I glad to see you got a real adventure helmet. I've got a Shoei Hornet, almost exactly the same helmet.

How do you like the shoei? I tried it on numerous times and liked it except for the fact that the shield doesn't lock down like all other helmets do.

I really like it. No troubles. Had it 3 years. Do not stand on the pegs when traveling at high speeds. Did that once, and at 80mph the wind did every thing in its power when it caught in the long sun visor to take my head off. Got back behind the shield fast as I could.

6/2012 manufacture date. Not long enough for me to think they should be giving them away. It's a pretty new model but hey I'm not complaining its a good price.
Heck no, that's like new. I was thinking more like 3 or 4 years old. Great find!

Nice helmet. I like those myself, however I've been putting of my next big helmet purchase for a nice flashy shoei I saw online. $600 bucks and its mine...

Ridiculous what they charge for helmets nowadays, but hey can you really put a price on your safety?

Nice helmet. I like those myself, however I've been putting of my next big helmet purchase for a nice flashy shoei I saw online. $600 bucks and its mine...

Ridiculous what they charge for helmets nowadays, but hey can you really put a price on your safety?

Sadly some folks still think price = more safety.
:p

I will have to disagree that price does affect quality. Now a helmet needing to be 800$ is slightly stupid but if you think an 80$ kbc p.o.s is the same quality as a shoei, well you may be mistaken. I think 400-500$ is an acceptable range for a safe helmet. I tell people all the time quit being cheap it will save your life, and if you keep it for 5 years you only spent 100$ a year protecting the most valuable part of yourself...

Sadly some folks still think price = more safety.
:p
Price does often = build quality and comfort. If you wear a helmet 4 to 10 hours a riding day and ride a lot and retire it in 5 years a $600 helmet is a good value. The feeling of wearing an ill fitting helmet lasts long after the pain of purchase even though both meet the minimum safety standard.

Can a helmet thread be as controversial as an oil thread? I'm going to fire this up a bit and say that neither safety or comfort is directly proportional to price. There is, however, a high degree of correlation. This from a guy who owns an Arai. Now I don't know how much I believe the Snell Memorial ratings or the EC 22.05 ratings from our European Friends, or the Sharp ratings from GBR. But I got to go by something. Except that DOT sticker. And it has to cover more than my bald spot.

A few years ago I owned a pizza place as a hobby. One of the cooks saw me walk in with my helmet. He said the last thing he wanted in a wreck was 7 pounds on his head. I guess his t-shirt and jeans were enough protection. Now in a wreck, I would like a several thousand pound Chevy Suburban on my head. But seriously, who wears a 7 pound helmet?

Oh, and that is a nice helmet. I think so and EC 22.05 does too.

Oh and by the way this helmet comes NO WHERE NEAR fitting in the frunk. Not that I use the frunk for my helmet but a test was necessary.

Yeah, the visors on the adventure helmets pretty much kill any chance to put them in the frunk.

And just to throw my two cents in, the cheap helmets have to pass the same safety requirements as the expensive helmets. If you're paying two to three times as much for a helmet its only because of the name or some perceived extra value to you. Every helmet is different so comfort can't be attributed to a brand name, only to a specific model. The motorcycle magazines do big helmet comparisons and they often have less expensive models in the top standings at the end of their tests. You can feel good thinking you are safer with the expensive model, but its just a feeling, not reality.

I have used a wide range of helmets and have never found a cheaper one that is as comfortable as the premium makes over a days riding. For me Soei & Arai come out on top with AGV & Schuberth a close second. I wouldn't consider anything else for distance work. For several years I used Caeberg for commuting duties and they were just fine but I wouldn't want to use one all day

Back