• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Navigating on the move.

Dave Modisette

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday, November 7th, I pick up my new 2013 model NC700X at First Coast Powersports in St. Augustine, Florida and drive it back to Brandon, Florida which is outside of Tampa. I've decided to avoid a three hour drive down Interstate highways full of winter migrating "snowbirds" by driving across the state and south via state and county roads.

There will be a lot of zigzagging course changes as I make my way from the north east part of the state to this central west coast area. It should be a lot of fun.

Any tips for handling maps and navigation? I'm thinking a simple list of roads and miles between waypoints citing where to turn and which direction. I have my cell phone in a pinch if I need to know where I'm at. Hopefully, the cell phone coverage will be adequate if I need to do that. I suppose I could charge up and carry my iPad with the map programs I have.

First day out on the NC and I do a four hour 188 mile trip. I think it will be fun.

a used GPS (Garmin or TomTom) may be had on Amazon for around $60 [HERE].

Using a RAM mount, you can have the GPS (self contained...needing no cell connection) right in front of you all the time.
TomTom's smart phone app has the map ON your cell phone, so it doesn't need an active cell connection to work either.

If you get fancy, you can connect the GPS unit (and your cell phone) directly to the battery, so that both are powered as you ride and NEVER run down.
I ride with my smart phone and TomTom GO 50 mounted right in front of me with sun visors over both so I can see them more easily.
I wouldn't go back to adventuring on my NC without this setup.

I've left out a lot of detail just to make the point quickly. If you'd like detailed information and pictures .... where would you like to start?

For a paper method: Go to mapquest.com and enter your starting and ending locations. Drag the route around until you are satisfied with it and then select VIEW ROUTE DIRECTIONS. You can print it out kind of as a roll chart with all of the turns and mileages listed.

a used GPS (Garmin or TomTom) may be had on Amazon for around $60 [HERE].

Using a RAM mount, you can have the GPS (self contained...needing no cell connection) right in front of you all the time.
TomTom's smart phone app has the map ON your cell phone, so it doesn't need an active cell connection to work either.

If you get fancy, you can connect the GPS unit (and your cell phone) directly to the battery, so that both are powered as you ride and NEVER run down.
I ride with my smart phone and TomTom GO 50 mounted right in front of me with sun visors over both so I can see them more easily.
I wouldn't go back to adventuring on my NC without this setup.

I've left out a lot of detail just to make the point quickly. If you'd like detailed information and pictures .... where would you like to start?
That's a good target to aim for but this trip will be a brand new bike so I don't think I'll have a chance to do any wiring. I do have a case for my cell phone that is water proof and has a clamping system to attach it to the handlebars. Normally, it's too bright during the day for it to be much good.

For a paper method: Go to mapquest.com and enter your starting and ending locations. Drag the route around until you are satisfied with it and then select VIEW ROUTE DIRECTIONS. You can print it out kind of as a roll chart with all of the turns and mileages listed.
That's what I've done so far. The print is a little small so I planned on hand writing it or printing it in a larger font.

I second the back roads. It's better for the soul than the interstate.

Also, every now and then when I've strayed too far from home, and found myself in unfamiliar territory, I will use the google maps app on my phone to get a quick read on which direction is home. Usually that is enough, but if it's getting late or i'm iffy on gas I start up the voice turn by turn directions and put the phone in my jacket chest pocket. By turning the phone's volume up to max and the phone's speaker pointed forward (away from my chest) the directions are audible when I slow down for a turn or the occasional stop sign. Sometimes I approach a fork in the road I speculate on which way leads back to town. Then I let up on the throttle just long enough to hear 'Turn left' or 'Turn right' and off we go again. I won't comment on my percentage of correct vs. incorrect guesses using this method. Or, if you favor a little more confidence, a snug fitting pair earbuds work great and will allow you hear the turn by turn directions long before approaching a stop but they do take some of the fun out of it...

Enjoy the ride!
-Saturday

I create distance and turn notes. How far to the next turn, and what the turn is.

12.2 - left Main (245)

Distance in Miles, dash, direction of turn, name of road, route number in () if applicable.

If I need other info, it is indented before or after the turn as proper. I always look at each intersection on Google and might note a store, building, or landmark to watch for.

I print them in small blocks, tape the pieces in order and peel off the top sheet as needed. Mounts to my tank (frunk) for easy reference.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player outfitted with a saw blade, fork, and an umbrella.

Simply, get a compass and throw all the other junk away. Then just point your bike in the right direction. You will get to your destination eventually, and have a lot more fun finding new places and interesting folks..

Simply, get a compass and throw all the other junk away. Then just point your bike in the right direction. You will get to your destination eventually, and have a lot more fun finding new places and interesting folks..
Haha! That sounds like my ride this weekend. I'd see a road and go down it. Finally, I just pointed the bike the way I thought it should go and went back home.

I can help with some road suggestions. The roads to Brandon are in my backyard and I ride between St. Augustine and Valrico/Tampa all the time. I'll send you a PM with my phone number if you want to discuss various ways to go from state roads to down to county roads.

Whatever you choose you need bluetooth connectivity.
Dedicated GPS devices will be obsolete soon if manufacturers don't do something innovative (except for cars and trucks).
There are now many small tablets below $199 (Android), 7 or 8", with fast processors, excellent hi-res screen, and superb navigation sensors capable to receive GPS and Glonass (Russian) signal the same time, even inside.
One example - ASUS 32GB Z580C-B1 ZenPad S 8.0" for $199.
You may have a lot of different choices of navigation and mapping programs, depend from situation.
On the road, off line (no wi-fi) TomTom Go is the best ($19.99/year service). Fast and accurate. And excellent turn-by-turn and text-to-voice with street names service (Samantha). And you have Route Planning.
I had this tablet locked in NC's frunk and "she", Samantha, guided me across D.C. from west to east with stop on National Mall.
Google Maps are the most accurate to find places with the most recent updates. But you need wifi connection. You can use you iPhone as wifi hotspot. Google Maps are not so good for fast moving navigation because of lack of good map contrast, but are good for walking and research. Google Maps have excellent info of public transportation around the world. Now they use Waze for traffic information.
Nokia Here is slowly improving.
To keep those things running (iPhone, tablet) without connecting to bike's battery, get external battery pack like RAVPower 16000mAh - $29.99. You have power you can carry with you, for many hours, without effecting bike's battery.

I like OCR's idea. We left Oklahoma a few years ago without any electronic devices and not 1 map. We knew south and east, that was it. The ride, the adventure, and no electronics made for a great trip. The first day we were constantly looking for our phones, after that it was just a pleasure and wonderful trip.

A map for that route? There is no missing the great towns of Palatka, Eustis, and Groveland. I would like to start a pool on when you start hating the seat. My money is somewhere in the middle of the Ocala National Forest. :)

Honestly, read about the showkey mod for the seat. In a pinch you can just put risers on the supports and still fit the seat tongue in the bracket. It will help.

And treat yourself to something at the Yahala Bakery.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

A map for that route? There is no missing the great towns of Palatka, Eustis, and Groveland. I would like to start a pool on when you start hating the seat. My money is somewhere in the middle of the Ocala National Forest. :)

Honestly, read about the showkey mod for the seat. In a pinch you can just put risers on the supports and still fit the seat tongue in the bracket. It will help.

And treat yourself to something at the Yahala Bakery.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
I was thinking Palatka, Citra, Irvine, Emathla, Marta (some grub at the Horse & Hound on 40), Inverness, Istachatta, Trilby, Dade City, Thonatassa.

That's how I'd go. :)

Saturday, November 7th, I pick up my new 2013 model NC700X at First Coast Powersports in St. Augustine, Florida and drive it back to Brandon, Florida which is outside of Tampa. I've decided to avoid a three hour drive down Interstate highways full of winter migrating "snowbirds" by driving across the state and south via state and county roads.

There will be a lot of zigzagging course changes as I make my way from the north east part of the state to this central west coast area. It should be a lot of fun.

Any tips for handling maps and navigation? I'm thinking a simple list of roads and miles between waypoints citing where to turn and which direction. I have my cell phone in a pinch if I need to know where I'm at. Hopefully, the cell phone coverage will be adequate if I need to do that. I suppose I could charge up and carry my iPad with the map programs I have.

First day out on the NC and I do a four hour 188 mile trip. I think it will be fun.

You are in Florida, no need for gps or maps, just ride west and south. The easiest without Interstate from St. Augustin to Tampa is Hwy FL20 west out of St. Augustine, to FL200 south to US41 south. Lots of county roads but numerous dead ends without a warning sign. You can also take Fl20 into Gainesville, pickup FL121 to Williston, and US41 south, this isn't too bad of a route as far as Florida is concerned (you know the 11 curves in 318 miles in Florida). If you ride into Gainesville, just off of Hwy 24 (Archer road) is Bear Industries, as in the Bear bows, which Fred Bear started. They have a small museum which is free and have a bunch of Fred Bears old hunting items-Hwy 24, just west of I-75, turn left (south) on SW 41st Blv. About a half mile on the right-cant miss it.

Last edited:
Here's the route that I've been thinking about. https://goo.gl/maps/S3HbP7FQE3T2 There's a lot of little towns that I've never been through. Mostly, I've been up and down the coasts or driving the Interstates so I've always seen the same old thing. Now that I'm a bike rider again, it's time to explore.

Well, Dave. I'm 50/50 on your route. The plus side is that it does take you close to the Yalaha Bakery and a little ways through the Ocala National Forest. So you might get to see a bigfoot. The bad side is that it takes you through "Sleezeburg", and dangerously close to the retirees in The Villages, the STD capital of Florida.

But you want an adventure. :)

Enjoy!

Put a map on the frunk. Write or print the turns. Its ok to stop and get your bearings. Heck, it's ok to get lost. A paper map and cell phone will get you through any populous areas.

I like the idea of a cell phone with ear buds and an app like waze or copilot. Stick the phone in your jacket pocket. Stop and pull it out when you need to. Take your time....new bike etc.

Last edited:
Well, Dave. I'm 50/50 on your route. The plus side is that it does take you close to the Yalaha Bakery and a little ways through the Ocala National Forest. So you might get to see a bigfoot. The bad side is that it takes you through "Sleezeburg", and dangerously close to the retirees in The Villages, the STD capital of Florida.

But you want an adventure. :)

Enjoy!
Concur. I generally always go west of Ocala to avoid traffic and the roads and views are much better. Horse county riding is among the best in FL.

Back