• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC Camping Tonight (pictures before/after)

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got all the gear packed. I've got the spot picked out, and hope to set up the tent before sun down.
Here's the place on Google Maps:
cima.jpg

More pictures of the NC at the site (hopefully) tomorrow.

Packed for camping:
camp1.jpgcamp2.jpg

Last edited:
Instead on NC Camping Tonight, the title of my post is No Camping Tonight. Here is the snowy scene from the front porch taken just now. I think it's a better ski day than a ride day. That's why it's good for me to have many hobbies besides motorcycles.

100_9954.jpg

Last edited:
Norcal is running in the 70s, may cool off and get some more rain starting Wednesday.

A group of us are riding Tuesday. :cool:

OK... home now... rolling down from I-15 near Baker to home is all downhill, so MPG was 78!

Here's the camp site and the NC photos (below)
data: gps is 35.315032, -115.550257
there were two more camp site fire rings further along the hard packed dirt road.

Arrive at about 17:30 hours. It's a lot darker than the camera makes it look.
Hurry to get the tent up before dark.
cima001.jpg

Get the tent, chair, and fire going. Didn't cook anything, but it's a cheerful thing... to have a fire.
cima002.jpg

Sun rise the next morning out amongst the Joshua trees. 42F overnight... not bad at all... any colder would have been too cold for my modest sleeping bag.
cima003.jpg

It's a green time of year for the Joshua Tree! (camp not far from the road...there you can see it)
cima04.jpg

I've kept the narrative short on purpose. Folks seem to like pictures more.
Any questions?

Last edited:
Nice pics Strat! You setup the shots with the bike by the tent quite nicely.
Looks and sounds like the weather was near perfect for ya.
Thanks for sharing

Hey Strat ! isn't it fun how the world is small ! Been in Nevada-California-Arizona-Utah-New Mexico and Colorado in october 2014 and I've visited this area...
We've had dinner in Nipton, been in the Majave Desert, even almost spent a night under the stars in a truck stop (finally setup the tent in the middle of the night on the parking)
Day of bad luck but unforgettable souvenirs

Thanks Strat for making my day (-25c here today -:()

The Whistle stop Oasis Cafe on Nipton Rd, Nipton,Ca
IMG_0422.jpg

A little stop to get some pics of the Joshua Trees(obviously near the place you were camping when I refer to google map)
IMG_0424.jpg

Najah's Desert Oasis on Rd 66 at daybreak
Najah's desert oasis.jpg

Wow! Great photos!

I've always wondered about setting up the tent in a parking lot like you did! Did you ask permission first?

The tires you're sporting there start to look like a good idea... there are just some sandy roads that need tires like that when street tires (Conti Motions) just aren't enough.

Thank you for posting those pictures.

I can't say enough good things about FreeCampSites.net
'makes finding out of the way, FREE, camp sites easy...

Last edited:
No we didn't ask for permission because the cashier was alone at night and taught it was safer for her if we camped there
About the tires, they did the job but yes roads can be very sandy in this area...we learned about it in a hard way that specific day (a guy in the group totalled his bike)
The others nights we had reservations in State Parks Campgrounds or KOA's
The last time I had camped was 30 years ago but man did I like it...adventure is the real life...
You live in a truly beautiful part of America and I wish to get back to California soon (along the Coast this time)

Hey Strats! Glad to see you getting more camping experience! I should be heading out to the Red Wood Forest in Sept. Hope we can meet up again!

BTW- when you mention a fire it's "pics or it didn't happen!" LOL!
No, I'm not a pyromaniac, just a pyrofanatic....

Ya, about the fire. I don't see much to burn around there. Did you have to bring wood along?

Ya, about the fire. I don't see much to burn around there. Did you have to bring wood along?

someone had made a rock fire ring on the surface of the flat rock there...very safe place to burn...
I brought along a "presto" log from Walmart just to see how long it would burn.... answer: about six hours.

someone had made a rock fire ring on the surface of the flat rock there...very safe place to burn...
I brought along a "presto" log from Walmart just to see how long it would burn.... answer: about six hours.

Not quite as good as at the North Rim, eh? Lots to burn up there!

Back