• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC on the TAT?

I apologize for hijacking the thread, drdubb, how's going with the Himalayan? I was considering it for a while. Specially after watching couple YouTubers traveling on Himalayan around the world. Like "Itchy Boots" and "Riding on eggshells".

I'm following Itchy boots, but only looked at a couple of the eggshells vids.
I'm really liking the Himalayan and my NC is getting short shrift. In fact, its been sitting so long, I had to change the battery and she had a hard time cranking. I think old gas turned to crud in the injectors. After running a few minutes, I took her out today for some miles and fresh gas.

Back to the Himalayan. I've put about 1800 miles on the gal and like her more each day. I think the tractability of the Himalayan would be very useful on the TAT, although the weight would not be appreciated when trying to pick it up. I think loaded and gassed, mine is close to 500 pounds. Its not a highway bike by any means. It will run 65-70, but if you need to accelerate around a car, forget it. You better plan merge ramps carefully. She will slow down on hills.
The Hima gives me confidence in gravel, and when underway she does not feel heavy. I'm taking it to KSL in May in order to get a little dirt work. I've got gravel roads in my area, but they are mostly well graded and easy rides.
And, you can't beat the price. Planning an MABDR ride in June.
2019122821535423--6892833875599579671-IMG_0744_heic-XL.jpg

I've added Givi racks and Givi Canyon soft bags. (makes everything interchangeable with the NC700) Givi crash bars, Via Terra tank rack bags and an OGIO tail bag take care of the big mods. I also added bar risers, electrical outputs for GPS, phone and my heated jacket as well as numerous mounting points. Hand guards are ordered. Also planning some Mita E-07 tires.

Other than a lack of power, the biggest negative is the kickstand is too long and the blacked out color scheme makes photography difficult.

I'm following Itchy boots, but only looked at a couple of the eggshells vids.
I'm really liking the Himalayan and my NC is getting short shrift. In fact, its been sitting so long, I had to change the battery and she had a hard time cranking. I think old gas turned to crud in the injectors. After running a few minutes, I took her out today for some miles and fresh gas.

Back to the Himalayan. I've put about 1800 miles on the gal and like her more each day. I think the tractability of the Himalayan would be very useful on the TAT, although the weight would not be appreciated when trying to pick it up. I think loaded and gassed, mine is close to 500 pounds. Its not a highway bike by any means. It will run 65-70, but if you need to accelerate around a car, forget it. You better plan merge ramps carefully. She will slow down on hills.
The Hima gives me confidence in gravel, and when underway she does not feel heavy. I'm taking it to KSL in May in order to get a little dirt work. I've got gravel roads in my area, but they are mostly well graded and easy rides.
And, you can't beat the price. Planning an MABDR ride in June.
2019122821535423--6892833875599579671-IMG_0744_heic-XL.jpg

I've added Givi racks and Givi Canyon soft bags. (makes everything interchangeable with the NC700) Givi crash bars, Via Terra tank rack bags and an OGIO tail bag take care of the big mods. I also added bar risers, electrical outputs for GPS, phone and my heated jacket as well as numerous mounting points. Hand guards are ordered. Also planning some Mita E-07 tires.

Other than a lack of power, the biggest negative is the kickstand is too long and the blacked out color scheme makes photography difficult.

I'm assuming you took the Himalayan on the same off-road sections as your NC - can you compare the feeling between the two? How those two behaved on the same sections?
If you planned a 7-day trip, about 300 miles a day, average 60-70 % on paved road, the rest off-road (e.g. Colorado :D ), what bike would you take?

I don't feel like I know the Hima well enough yet or the type of colorado dirt you plan in order to answer this question. I think a more street oriented ride will need the NC. If a little rough, or fire road dirt, aftermarket suspension on the NC. ( I have Cogent on mine) Rocky areas, sand or places that might cause drops would push me to the Hima. I would prefer a 21 inch tire and spoked wheels in those areas. Plus a little lighter and none of that pesky breakable, expensive plastic. With all that said, an NC has done the COBDR. The last variable is rider skill. I have little, so I went with a Hima to give me a little more edge in the rougher stuff.

I just watched Itchy boots ride a ton of sand in Bolivia which would have turned me around.

I don't feel like I know the Hima well enough yet or the type of colorado dirt you plan in order to answer this question. I think a more street oriented ride will need the NC. If a little rough, or fire road dirt, aftermarket suspension on the NC. ( I have Cogent on mine) Rocky areas, sand or places that might cause drops would push me to the Hima. I would prefer a 21 inch tire and spoked wheels in those areas. Plus a little lighter and none of that pesky breakable, expensive plastic. With all that said, an NC has done the COBDR. The last variable is rider skill. I have little, so I went with a Hima to give me a little more edge in the rougher stuff.

I just watched Itchy boots ride a ton of sand in Bolivia which would have turned me around.
Thanks Dr., I appreciate it.
Very useful info.

In spite of the paved stretches where you'd want to go faster, I'd much rather ride my WR250R if I were to do the TAT. It takes mud and rocky way abuse a lot better, it's easy to pick up – and a lot less likely to need to be picked up and won't require a team effort. You can go a LOT faster once you are off the pavement and have clearance and suspension travel. Yeah someone probably CAN ride the NC in the more challenging areas ... and they are welcome to it ; }

I tend to agree with you Greenboy and I think the WR is a great bike for the TAT. I'm just too short and old for a WR.

Yeah, was merely pointing out one of many bikes I'd rather ride on the TAT. Since it's the one I have and it's a great machine, I would need look no further. It's actually pretty good at snappy pavement too, though the announced KTM 390 is going to get a look as a good all-arounder that might also not be bad for this compared to the NC.

Back