• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC on the TAT?

NC is only 50lbs heavier than the CBX.

And it wears it well. And that motor is just marvelous for this. As you said, suspension is the area that needs to be addressed.

I've come to realize almost any bike you ride off-road needs the suspension worked on to fit your weight and riding conditions.

Depending on your weight/size though, one can actually ride the TAT on most any small-displacement machine with luggage, without modding the suspension, just adjusting it for the situation beforhand. It won't be as good and it won't be as fast, but it won't cause too much suffering. Even the XT225 or DR200 can do the trip though the seat on any of these is arguably a torture rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't fathom using the NC as a dual sport in any condition. On a 4 day ride last month we ended up on a rock/dirt road. It plain sucked. On my KLR we would have been ripping through that section at 30mph. I had to basically walk the bike through the 1-2 mile stretch. My buddy on his brand new FJ09, dented the crap out of his muffler hitting a rock.

Having done Witt Rd (the start of the eastern side of the TAT) on my wee strom and my KLR, running that road on the NC is a big fat nooooope. Damn near lost my wee strom in the creek crossing and its much more of a dual sport than the NC. That creek crossing has swallowed many a bike.

I couldn't fathom a commitment to run the TAT on an NC. Knife at a gun fight.

Bigger front wheel and more suspension travel. Ride a strom then ride a NC, those make for a rather noticeable difference.

Bigger front wheel and more suspension travel. Ride a strom then ride a NC, those make for a rather noticeable difference.
true I think the NC700X feels fat because of the low center gravity also, anyone used to riding off road is used to more ground clearance and the weight being higher. With the right tires I think the NC700X is fine for off road, once you get used to it (because it does feel odd) I think the only real handicap is the ground clearance, still doable just not as fast

Depends what year and displacement of Strom you mean. I rode a 650. didn't think it was any big difference, and I actually like the power delivery and weight distribution and ergos of the NC better. neither is what i'd consider a dual-sport after riding a well-modded DR650, or even a KLR650.

Pros for the CRF250L on the TAD:

Good torque from single-cylinder, just can not beat a thumper in the dirt.
317.5 pounds, lighter always better in the dirt.
Ground Clearance 10.6 inches, would not hit many rocks.
In TAD world, should get about 60 miles per gallon.
21 inch front tire and 18 inch rear tire
About 9 inches of suspension at each end.
Small windsheld.

CONS for the CRF250L on the TAD:

Down on top end speed power.
Tall seat height, 34.4 inches
2.1 gallon fuel capacity, gas stations are not around the corner when on the TAD.
The 2017 CRF250L is the 2016 CRF250L with a few cosmetic changes.

This bike is aimed at the Suzuki DR-Z400SM and is about $2000 cheaper, but is 150cc less power. Suzuki ground clearance is 11.8 inches, the seat height is 36.8 inches, and fuel capacity is 2.6 inches. So, pros and cons to both bikes.

Last edited:
Most dualsports have great aftermarket fuel tanks available, and Rotopax is easy to mount on nearly any machine. For people who are short it's tough to find machines that have lower seats that still can have the suspension beefed up.

I'm not going to argue. If you don't want to take your NC on the TAT then stay at home and tell everyone how it can't do it. If you want to take your NC on the TAT then we can continue talking about it and hopefully planning a group to go in 2017 or 2018.

Just for clarity, I'm not saying "it" can't. I'm saying I wouldn't. I'm saying there are better choices for a safer, more enjoyable and ride across some the most challenging "roads" in the country. I'm in the camp of, just because it can, doesn't mean you should. Running the TAT is in my future, just not on an NC.

I'm not going to argue. If you don't want to take your NC on the TAT then stay at home and tell everyone how it can't do it. If you want to take your NC on the TAT then we can continue talking about it and hopefully planning a group to go in 2017 or 2018.
Right on, right on! Though I may state what my preferences would be, I sure think the NC has some pluses in its favor. And I may find that as my personal situation changes, that it could morph into that with just a little suspension work, a skidplate, and engine guards.

I've thought many a time about doing the TAT. If I was going solo I'd take the CRF250l and figure out a way to pack even lighter. Going in a group (3 or more), I'd take the NC. IF it rains in MS, parts of AR, or OK, doesn't matter how light a bike, you are probably going to slab it. The mud is slick as ice and packs the tires. For CO I'd take the NC over the CRF. Yes in the rough sections I could go faster on the CRF but for the rest the NC is much more comfortable for all day riding and carrying a load. Riding off-road I can hardly tell a difference between having my luggage and not having it on the NC. It doesn't care that I have 50-60lbs back there. I still think the NC is a bit nose heavy so having the luggage lightens up the nose which is good for rocky terrain and sand.

The 17" front is a disadvantage. 17" just doesn't roll over stuff as easily as 21". As for it being cast aluminum, once I learned to set the pressure at 25psi or higher, I haven't had an issue. I did take a chunk out of one rim when I was running 20psi. Tire held air and it was actually several weeks later when I finally found the damage.

From all of the ride reports I've read, Utah is the only part I'm unsure about. I haven't ridden there and there seems to be a few really challenging parts there. Deep sand, rocky steps, and the part where the dude drove off the edge which seems to be a tricky spot. The sand I did on the COBDR turned out to not be an issue but that is all of the sand experience I have. From what I understand the current route from Sam goes around what was some deep sand in NV. He change it because of gas availability.

One question I always keep coming to with the TAT is how do I get back? If I'm on the NC I'd ride back. On the CRF, I'd rent a U-Haul. No way I'd ride the CRF for 2k miles of slab....and that brings up the time honored question of do you ride the bike for the 5-10% or tough terrain or do you ride the bike for the 90-95% of easy terrain and slab. With 3-4 people in a group I tend to lean toward the bike for the majority of the ride. 3-4 people can get the bike through a tough spot that someone can't ride it through.
All good points.

With the theme .........."misery loves company".............

One thing that impressed me about the trips on ADVrider.com is that Doctor Zed on his fairly stock NC seemed to be having a lot less misery than some of the riders of other "adventure bikes" ; }

A lot of guys think skills means being able to pull off outrageous feats... but I prefer to believe that being able to ride conservatively, pick good paths and exercise good judgement has a place in it too. Of course, I have to believe that ; }

A lot of guys think skills means being able to pull off outrageous feats... but I prefer to believe that being able to ride conservatively, pick good paths and exercise good judgement has a place in it too. Of course, I have to believe that ; }
Yeah priorities change when you take longer to heal and have to pay for medical bills and lose the income from being laid up. I think those are the biggest factor in guys getting wiser with age and cutting back on the stupid things. I've learned that it's more enjoyable to finish the day not being stuck or broken then to have that one awesome moment. I still ride faster then I should and take on some unnecessary risks but I'm not riding wheelies or trying to jump any gorge.

Back