• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC7 Alumni : What have you been up to since your NC7 is now gone?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Dear all,
I am starting this post for all the ex-owners of the NC7 machine.
We shared the same history of owning this beautiful machine but have since moved on to another machine.
I think it will be a great thing to keep in touch and post pictures of our biking life here without disrupting the main threads.

What have you been up to since the NC7?

Here is my new love.

IMG_20171221_130805_edited_edited.jpg

I had a 2012 DCT that I loved and farkled up just how I wanted it:
20141221_134043.jpg

Unfortunately the arthritis in both my knees got worse and it got to where I was afraid I was going to start dropping the bike so I sold my bike to Nofear2trek. I took off my top and side cases because he wanted to put his choice on. It was really sad to see my NC ride away but I knew it would be in good hands plus I get to see it once in a while here on the fourm:
20151001_143159 - Copy.jpg

My wife has a Can-Am Spyder so I bought a 2013 RS with 118 miles on it for a steal of a price. I loaded it up with the top and side cases from the NC and other farkles:
06-20170611_143040 (Medium).jpg

After a couple of years I got both knees replaced and all the pain went away. The Spyder served me well but I missed the lean. As I have short legs and did my original test drive of a DCT on a CTX700 I sat on one and a NC at a dealer and decided the CTX was the better choice for me with my short legs and typical riding venues. Of course I loaded it up too. Just went on a 260-some mile ride with a group, including some twisties in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the CTX had no problem keeping up with the two BMW's and a crotch rocket in the group, tho I was full throttle often on the uphills in the twisties. The two-up on the big Harley did not try to keep up with us in the hills.
20170701_190400.jpg

Dear all,
We shared the same history of owning this beautiful machine but have since moved on to another machine.
I think it will be a great thing to keep in touch and post pictures of our biking life here without disrupting the main threads.

How many miles on the new bike Joe?

Here's my 2 NC700X replacements.

I got a deal on a S10 I couldn't refuse (Traded a few huge drones that I used to do cinema movies with in a round about way) and ended up with too much overlap in the bikes, so I traded my NC for a well rouneded TAT ready Husky 610.
Now I have a touring, backroads, firewood machine, and a straight ADV monster...

Miss my NC, but am happy.

bike.jpg1.jpgHusky2.jpg

I had a 2012 DCT that I loved and farkled up just how I wanted it:
View attachment 35838

Unfortunately the arthritis in both my knees got worse and it got to where I was afraid I was going to start dropping the bike so I sold my bike to Nofear2trek. I took off my top and side cases because he wanted to put his choice on. It was really sad to see my NC ride away but I knew it would be in good hands plus I get to see it once in a while here on the fourm:
View attachment 35839

My wife has a Can-Am Spyder so I bought a 2013 RS with 118 miles on it for a steal of a price. I loaded it up with the top and side cases from the NC and other farkles:
View attachment 35840

After a couple of years I got both knees replaced and all the pain went away. The Spyder served me well but I missed the lean. As I have short legs and did my original test drive of a DCT on a CTX700 I sat on one and a NC at a dealer and decided the CTX was the better choice for me with my short legs and typical riding venues. Of course I loaded it up too. Just went on a 260-some mile ride with a group, including some twisties in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the CTX had no problem keeping up with the two BMW's and a crotch rocket in the group, tho I was full throttle often on the uphills in the twisties. The two-up on the big Harley did not try to keep up with us in the hills.
View attachment 35841

I love that CTX! The CTX was my first choice as it sits lower and has the ride of a cruiser, which I loved at first...but I noticed after a while on my first bike, Virago 250, sitting with my legs out in front just wasn’t comfortable enough for my short legs.

I almost came home with a CTX, but had recently discovered the NC. The frunk and riding position were the selling point for me.

Love the super Tenere and GS bike too!!! Those are super cool bikes.

Seating position options are what sold me on my Integra. I can enjoy both, cruiser style with my legs up front to relieve my bad knees, or sport style (with optional Dzell footpegs) with legs under me to relieve my bad back. Or anything in between.

How many miles on the new bike Joe?
Hi Dave,
850km.
Still new.... waiting for the darn snow to stop coming down.
It's almost April!
a876d5885e24883eceeb39a8a3ebd9c4.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

The Super Tenere appeals to me. More power, seems reliable and comfortable. I know the offtheslab guy rode his to Alaska and seemed to think it did well.
I was interested in an Africa Twin, but it just does not seem that different and lacks cruise control. The new Gold Wing appeals to me, I guess I am sort of one of their markets. I have never owned a big tourer.

The Super Tenere appeals to me. More power, seems reliable and comfortable. I know the offtheslab guy rode his to Alaska and seemed to think it did well.
I was interested in an Africa Twin, but it just does not seem that different and lacks cruise control. The new Gold Wing appeals to me, I guess I am sort of one of their markets. I have never owned a big tourer.

If you're going to regularly carry a passenger, get the Goldwing, otherwise why have an 810 pound bike?

If you're going to do some actual off road (and I don't mean gravel roads), get the Africa Twin, otherwise why mess with tube tires and chain drive?

For all other, get the Super Tenere.

If you're going to regularly carry a passenger, get the Goldwing, otherwise why have an 810 pound bike?
Couple of reasons:

1. Since you don't actually have to lift it and carry it around, the weight is rather moot. I find the Goldwing easier to get on the center stand than the NC. In fact, with panniers on the NC, it is pretty much impossible. Park a loaded 600lb motorcycle facing downhill on a gravel parking lot and have fun backing it up ;-)

2. It is one of the most comfortable motorcycles on the planet.

3. The engine smoothness rivals a gas turbine

4. Reliability is second to none (had 144,000+ miles on mine, 250,000+ is ....yawn, not uncommon)

5. The best resale value of any motorcycle on the planet.

6. I rode mine everywhere from Mexico to the Arctic Circle (including 400km of gravel on the Dempster Highway) and there isn't another motorcycle that I would rather a ride from Maine to the Arctic Circle or say, San Diego ;-)

7. Aftermarket support that is unbelievable.

8. Did I mention it is the only motorcycle on the planet that provides a factory, seven-year, unlimited mileage warranty?

And...never had anyone on the back...that space was reserved for my aux fuel tank.

I tried a Super Tenere, thought it was a top-heavy fat pig and rather uncomfortable....Couldn't back it up on any kind of downhill grade when loaded.

Would love, LOVE a newer GSA but the reliability issues and lack of any real dealer network in the US give me concern.
I guess that is why there are so many different motorcycles on the market. To each his own ;-)

Last edited:
Dear all,

Here is my new love.

View attachment 35823
My relationship with the NC was short but sweet.
Since parting with it, I've gained weight and gotten bigger, stronger and the fun happiness level keeps rising.
24ab401386d18afbeb97626f65ab576e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I temporarily replaced my original 2012 NC 700 with a CRF1000L but eventually came back to the fold (at least with the Motor and chassis) on this. The photo was taken at a recent weekend away from home in good company. The other bikes present were a Triumph 800 and a Kawasaki 1000 Versys .........

P1060422.jpg

As mentioned, I kept the NC as a second bike. Traded in a Yam FJ-09 on a demo 2017 R1200GS with almost all the BMW options and the crash guards. The only things I added were the Givi side and top cases. The stock seat isn't very good, but it was good enough to get to Ohio in two days (where I am now). This was a get from A to B trip, so almost all of it was on interstates. Cruise control, electronic suspension control (set it for rider and luggage), hand warmers when it got nippy, no chain to lube and enough motor to pass at will going through the Appalachians was wonderful. Along with the crummy seat, the Michelin Anakee 3 tires have a very hard, slippery compound and will be replaced when I get home. I have an appointment with Terry Adcox in TN to re-do my seat in July.

R1200GS.jpg

Well, I still have my NC700, which I view as perfect for around town and exploring back roads.
But I did splurge on a new Goldwing. What a great bike! I have not been riding long as an adult (62) and just rode off road as a kid. I am getting used to the weight and power.

I test rode Indians, BMWs, Harleys, looking for a tourer. I also liked the Versys 1000. If I had purchased the Versys as my first bigger bike (drz 400 to start) I would probably have stuck with it.
I liked them all! Very impressed with the BMW suspension and technology, the new Harley engine, the fit and finish on the Indian.

Very happy with the Goldwing.

8BCCB0D4-EC15-44EF-B14F-959689831A50.jpg

Attachments

• 71BA5777-9341-415F-BB85-C34A7A1F4A9D.jpg
    71BA5777-9341-415F-BB85-C34A7A1F4A9D.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Slick looking bike! I've been wanting to ride a Goldwing ever since I got into riding. May have to go do some test rides, myself! Congratulations

Hank, your story sounds like mine - dirt bikes years ago (and a Nighthawk 700s in college) no bikes, then back in the saddle with an NC7. It's perfect in town, commute to work, dirt road exploring. But.....Driving Tulsa to Stillwater in a stiff head wind it barely held 65mph in 6th. interestingly 5th gear would hold 70+ - revved out.

I've always wanted to do a long road trip looping thru WA. OR. CA. I shudder to consider chain maintenance on such a trip. Current weekly commute is 500 miles (and a chain clean and lube)

Shaft drive, long trip comfort (more weather protection as a bonus) has me looking at r1200rt; But I hate to lose dirt road capability so add in S10 and 1200gs to consideration.

2 big bikes isn't realistic but D@&m that NC is the perfect swiss army knife! Giving up the DCT is nearly unthinkable!

I never realized how unimportant shifting was until the NC-DCT. (and I can still override it with a button push) I've never had a less than perfect shift, or green light take-off! I put so much more attention to what is around me on the street when I don't have to keep track of RPM and gears and the next required shift.

I guess i'de ride the Vespa more for around town trips.

Enough ramble -- work calls!

Stay curious - Stay young!

The comfort and smoothness of the shaft drive with six cylinders is obvious, but the great handling takes a while to realize.
Little things like cruise control and the electrically adjustable windshield really add up, too.
I still like the NC700; it actually is an amazing bike for the money. I may sell my drz 400,but you know it is fun in a different way. Precise steering, light weight, great connection to the road.

Back