• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700

leethuaann

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for a lightweight bike for doing long distance riding. The NC700X is a bike of interest. I have seen some of these at the IBA party so some of you have at least tried them. My concerns are: is there enough electrical power for led auxiliary lights and a heated jacket and gloves? What did you do for an extra fuel tank? I am 5'7", 160 lbs. and have a 29" inseam, can the bike be lowered easily? Will the bike maintain 80 mph on those boring interstate runs? Any answers or other information you can give me would be appreciated.

The NC isn't exactly "lightweight" but it carries its weight very well indeed, unless You need to push it up a hill. If ligtweight is a requirement then perhaps the CB500X should be on your radar. The NC can be lowered, but imho You will compromise the suspension travel to some degree by doing so. It will easily maintain 80mph+ on big roads.

Someone else will need to answer Your query on electrics and fuel.

How much power for the heated gloves and jacket? The accessory circuit is 7.5 amps (90 watts @ 12v) and is completely dedicated to external accessories, with nothing hooked up to it on the stock bike. (You will have to buy the fuse/relay kit to enable it)

There are many prior discussions about electrical capacity. Search the forum. Here is one such thread:

And another:

If you want to know about extra fuel, search on extra fuel. There are threads like these:

I am looking for a lightweight bike for doing long distance riding. The NC700X is a bike of interest. I have seen some of these at the IBA party so some of you have at least tried them. My concerns are: is there enough electrical power for led auxiliary lights and a heated jacket and gloves? What did you do for an extra fuel tank? I am 5'7", 160 lbs. and have a 29" inseam, can the bike be lowered easily? Will the bike maintain 80 mph on those boring interstate runs? Any answers or other information you can give me would be appreciated.
Short answers:

The center of gravity on the NC700 is quite low and makes the 475 to 500 lb bike feel lighter than it is.

There is plenty of electrical power to run LED auxiliary lighting and heated jacket, heated grips, and heated gloves.

I fitted a plastic 1.6 gallon auxiliary tank to the pillion seat area that gravity feeds the standard fuel tank. Other owners have purchased or constructed metal auxiliary tanks of 2 gl US or more.

The NC700X returns about 50 mpg US at steady 80 mph and still has adequate power to safely pass other 80 mph vehicles and go up and down hills. Headwinds do affect how much power is left at 80 mph as does fitting large panniers (saddlebags).

I'm 5' 6", 150 lbs, 28" inseam, slightly higher height seat from stock and did not lower my NC at all. Other riders that feel more comfortable with both feet flat on the ground do lower their NCs with lowering links and sliding the forks up in the fork clamps.

I'd consider the NCx a middleweight bike but it certainly can be made into a lightweight touring machine with a few accessories. My wife and I both ride them. We use them as touring bikes and last year did the Great Lakes Circle Route, this year we planned to run Chicago to California following Route 66 but Covid ruined that.

FWIW, I run front LED aux flood lights & 2 sets of rear LED aux lights but I don't use heated equipment. Some heated gear draws more power than others.

As for extra fuel, I have Desert Fox fuel bladders, they hold 5 liters each. Even on the remote north shore of Lakes Huron and Superior we had no issue finding fuel. Never actually have put fuel in those fuel bladders but we've carried them for thousands of miles just in case. I doubt they will travel with us on future trips.

As for lowering the bike there are multiple options. Soupy's Performance makes a high quality adjustable lowering link. My wife has one on her bike. She is 5'8" and now can flat foot her bike. Actually lowered it too low and had to raise it up some! Soupy's makes an adjustable kickstand, its not good design. We bought it, it broke. Once we found her "ideal height" for her bike I simply cut her original kickstand and re-welded it, so it is now about 1" shorter than stock.

Bike will probably run 80mph all day long. Never tried that. But it will hit 80pmh and I have run 70+mph for long stretches. So I'll pretty confidently say it will run 80mph all day long.

Both of our bikes ('16 NC700x and an '18 NC750x) are outfitted for long distance touring.
  1. Both have chain oilers (NEMO2),
  2. Denali DRL LED aux lights on the front forks
  3. Madstat touring windshields
  4. Hard luggage (her's Givi, mine H&B)
  5. Rear LED aux lights
  6. Grip Puppies foam over-grips
  7. Atlas Throttle Locks
  8. SAE connectors connected straight to the battery which can be used to connect to a Battery Tender for storage, alternately can be used to power a USB port to power our iPhones while we ride. Phones are mounted to locking RAM arms with a QuadLock.
  9. Mine has a Corbin seat because the stock seat was a pain in my rear, but she rides a stock seat. Mine also has the rear seat removed and replaced with a HondaBikePro "Dale's Rack"
Many others have outfitted their bikes for long distance touring in different ways. Aftermarket exists for you to be able to kit out your bike however you see is appropriate for your riding/touring style.

Screen_Shot_2020-04-10_at_9.09.17_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-04-28_at_7.53.55_AM.png

Back