• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nc700d dash out, replaced, no start

shaun2007

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I've had a few hours looking on here but cant see anything. My bike is a 12 plate 700 Integra, yesterday I took the screen and associated gubbins off to fit a car dash cam. Hours later it's all done, went to start the bike, everything but starter motor works. After a bit of head scratching I thought that pressing the two dash buttons in while turning the key would be a great idea. It was as it turned out but what did I do? A number "1" appeared and was flashing, another press gave number "2" followed by "3". At some point I bottled it and went to start the bike, success But what on earth was all the other stuff about? I'll have another look this morning in case I got mixed up with the time display, I'll take pics too and post if relevant. Thanks for listening.

Edit, speedo was previously unplugged as was at least six connectors near the fuse box.

Last edited:
Hi, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I've had a few hours looking on here but cant see anything. My bike is a 12 plate 700 Integra, yesterday I took the screen and associated gubbins off to fit a car dash cam. Hours later it's all done, went to start the bike, everything but starter motor works. After a bit of head scratching I thought that pressing the two dash buttons in while turning the key would be a great idea. It was as it turned out but what did I do? A number "1" appeared and was flashing, another press gave number "2" followed by "3". At some point I bottled it and went to start the bike, success But what on earth was all the other stuff about? I'll have another look this morning in case I got mixed up with the time display, I'll take pics too and post if relevant. Thanks for listening.
If your dash works like my 2012 NC700X, the 1, 2, and 3 is the display illumination brightness setting. Pressing the buttons got you into the settings mode, like for illumination, clock, distance units, etc. Read your owner‘s manual.

Did you get this figured out? start with the obvious and check that the kickstand is fully up or that the bike is in neutral.- as 670 stated, changing the display settings (including brightness) is accomplished by pressing and holding the 2 button for a few moments. You'll notice that after the display begins flashing, additional button presses will change the mi/km as well as the brightness levels which are identified as 1,2,3. All of this is well and good and I suspect completely unrelated to the no-start condition so let's leave it alone for the moment.

I don't know anything about scooters, but I would double check that all of the wiring connections are tight at the kick-stand, clutch lever, ign. switch, start switch and kill switch, or whatever that particular bike has on it and then report back in detail exactly what happens when the key is first turned on, i.e. does the dash light up? headlight on? etc? and again when the starter switch is pressed. Does applying sideways pressure or jiggling the key change anything? i.e .do lights or dash flicker? (may be a sign of an ign. switch worn out)

The most likely scenarios in similar other cases like this are:
1. A hot wire was accidentally grounded during the dash cam install blowing a fuse.
2. A bad wiring connection or something that was unplugged during the dash cam install.
3. A side-stand, start switch, ign switch, or kill switch that was already problematic and disturbing it put the final nail in the coffin.

good luck!

Did you get this figured out? start with the obvious and check that the kickstand is fully up or that the bike is in neutral.- as 670 stated, changing the display settings (including brightness) is accomplished by pressing and holding the 2 button for a few moments. You'll notice that after the display begins flashing, additional button presses will change the mi/km as well as the brightness levels which are identified as 1,2,3. All of this is well and good and I suspect completely unrelated to the no-start condition so let's leave it alone for the moment.

I don't know anything about scooters, but I would double check that all of the wiring connections are tight at the kick-stand, clutch lever, ign. switch, start switch and kill switch, or whatever that particular bike has on it and then report back in detail exactly what happens when the key is first turned on, i.e. does the dash light up? headlight on? etc? and again when the starter switch is pressed. Does applying sideways pressure or jiggling the key change anything? i.e .do lights or dash flicker? (may be a sign of an ign. switch worn out)

The most likely scenarios in similar other cases like this are:
1. A hot wire was accidentally grounded during the dash cam install blowing a fuse.
2. A bad wiring connection or something that was unplugged during the dash cam install.
3. A side-stand, start switch, ign switch, or kill switch that was already problematic and disturbing it put the final nail in the coffin.

good luck!
Sorry late reply. My bike fixed itself after about 20 seconds or so. I'm no expert but my own feeling is that because I'd had the dash out and unplugged everything else for a while at least, some part of the HISS system needs a few moments to re-do its thing perhaps. Pure conjecture on my part I'm afraid. But it's been fine ever since thank godess

Back