• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700S vs NC700X tall rider, questions

rudivb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Probably soon to be NC700 rider here. :)

I want to get a NC for delivery work, which means I need: storage, reliability, good fuel economy, comfort and a bike that handles city/traffic well.
Obviously after months of research the NC ticks all these boxes and I think there isn't even any competition.
Usually I am more of a naked bike guy, but I find the NC700X very good looking, I am also 6'3(193.5cm) with a 35" inseam, the X has a bit higher saddle height, so that should be a better fit for me?
BUT, looking around at marketplaces, I seem to find way better deals for the NC700S and now I found one that is really hard to pass as the bike only has 6.5k km on the clock (owned by a woman who got pregnant).

So the obvious question, should I go for the S? or is it worthy to pay more for a X with a lot more km/miles on the clock?
How big is the difference between the 2? also in terms of weather protection the X should do a slightly better job I guess?

I also might do some 2up holiday/touring in the summer, but primarily aka 95% of the time the bike will be used for courier work.

Will soon also have a look at the Honda dealer here, but I don't know if they have both models in the showroom(and they will probably 750's).

Thanks for any help!

I can only say I am the same height as you and weigh 86kg and I fit my 750S just fine. I never considered the X version as I wanted a proper road bike not some fake off road wannabee. I did drop the foot pegs about 25 mm but the bike was fine in standard trim but I am getting on in years so the extra leg room was welcome. I did sit on an X version once. Can’t say it felt very different regarding space.

I can only say I am the same height as you and weigh 86kg and I fit my 750S just fine. I never considered the X version as I wanted a proper road bike not some fake off road wannabee. I did drop the foot pegs about 25 mm but the bike was fine in standard trim but I am getting on in years so the extra leg room was welcome. I did sit on an X version once. Can’t say it felt very different regarding space.
Thanks fellow tall athletic man, I appreciate the input

No problem. Whichever you choose the NC will fit the bill. As a commuter/courier bike I can think of no better.

You may need to lower the footpegs. I have a 32" inseam and the X was only just right for me. I believe that any rider who is taller than average should get a test ride before purchasing.

A lower bike may also be easier to get on and off.

Have you looked at scooters? For delivery work, it seems like they would be the ticket.

So roughly 1" difference in suspension travel, 1.5" of seat height difference, and minor cosmetic differences on essentially the exact same bike makes one a proper road bike and the other a fake off road wannabe? Haha.....nah.

Well, did the op make a decision and buy a bike yet? I don't think there's enough difference between the two to worry about costs as long as you are ok with the looks of either and are happy once you sit on an S model and see firsthand.

And here's one of those fake off road wannabe bikes in bone stock form minus tires and brakes, imitating a proper road bike....LOL

2673678.jpg

yep, my fake wannabe off road bike 2013 NC700x did 1054 Interstate miles (1696.249 kilometers) in 17 hours so I could get my buttburner sticker (bike is my avatar)....and averaged 68 miles per US gallon at 78 miles per hour doing it.....you going to get a lot of naysayers not thinking it is a proper road bike :)....bought it new in 2013 and now have over 60,000 miles on it (I have 2 other bikes I ride too).... 60-70% of those miles are highway or Interstate miles....I am only 5'10" with 32" inseam and weigh around 200 lbs (91Kg). I did that buttburner on the stock seat too (now have a honeycomb cover over the stock seat).

Over this side of the pond adventure bikes were popularised by the show Long Way Round with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman. Since then all manner of road bikes have been styled as adventure bikes but the vast majority never see dirt. I put the NCX in that category; it’s a road bike masquerading as a dirt bike.

Over this side of the pond adventure bikes were popularised by the show Long Way Round with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman. Since then all manner of road bikes have been styled as adventure bikes but the vast majority never see dirt. I put the NCX in that category; it’s a road bike masquerading as a dirt bike.
Evan and Charley have sold a TON of ADV bikes for sure. However, as you noted most of them will never see anything more serious than a gravel road if that. Two factors in play (1) the “Look” and the feeling that you “could” go anywhere and (2) even more importantly, the sit-up and beg riding position, with decent weather protection is just darn comfy. It is Very similar to the old “standard” position that almost all bikes used to have (climb on an old CB 750 with a Windjammer fairing and you’ll get the idea). All (at least almost all) bikes used to be “standards” regarding ergonomics, then specialization set in with “sport bikes”, “tourers” and “cruisers”. I had an old man (probably 10-15 years younger than I am now) tell me many many years ago that if you can sit on a (supported of course) bike, let go of the handlebars and stand up you can “ride that bike all day”. You can’t do it on a sport bike or cruiser, but you definitely Can on ADV bikes and tourers…ymmv

Just noticed this thread is still active, anyway here is my little update:

I bought the NC700S! And I'm very happy with her, no problems at all with my size.
Did the famous seat mod, which is a great improvement, planning many more mods for in the future.

Only little issue after about 1k km had the engine light popping up, knowing they put a new battery in at the sale, checked the battery first and yes, one of the wires had come loose, no more problems after that.

To add to the NCX discussion (being an adventure bike or not), do you think the X version is slightly better off on terrible roads? it's horrible in my area full of putholes, broken parts etc. I wonder if that bit of extra suspension travel helps for that at least?

Just noticed this thread is still active, anyway here is my little update:

I bought the NC700S! And I'm very happy with her, no problems at all with my size.
Did the famous seat mod, which is a great improvement, planning many more mods for in the future.

Only little issue after about 1k km had the engine light popping up, knowing they put a new battery in at the sale, checked the battery first and yes, one of the wires had come loose, no more problems after that.

To add to the NCX discussion (being an adventure bike or not), do you think the X version is slightly better off on terrible roads? it's horrible in my area full of putholes, broken parts etc. I wonder if that bit of extra suspension travel helps for that at least?
First, congratulations on your acquisition of an NC700S, and I’m glad you like it (her).

I have never had the opportunity to ride an S model. In theory, the longer travel of the X may make it better on rough roads, but in reality it is still very bad. Modifications are needed to the forks and a replacement upgraded rear shock is ideal to make the suspension tolerable on terrible roads. The small 17 inch front wheel is never going to be great for rough roads or off-road.

Also worth noting is that Honda has reduced the suspension travel on the 2021+ NC750X compared to prior years. I have not compared the specs, but it likely that your S and the newest X have about the same amount of suspension travel.

First, congratulations on your acquisition of an NC700S, and I’m glad you like it (her).

I have never had the opportunity to ride an S model. In theory, the longer travel of the X may make it better on rough roads, but in reality it is still very bad. Modifications are needed to the forks and a replacement upgraded rear shock is ideal to make the suspension tolerable on terrible roads. The small 17 inch front wheel is never going to be great for rough roads or off-road.

Also worth noting is that Honda has reduced the suspension travel on the 2021+ NC750X compared to prior years. I have not compared the specs, but it likely that your S and the newest X has about the same amount of suspension travel.
Thank you, sir. :)

I see you are doing 75.3 MPG, that is absolutely amazing, you must ride very conservative?
I'm happy if I reach 60 MPG, although I'm doing stop & go all day long, but 75 MPG sounds impossible? unless it's 90% highway / constant speed ?

Thank you, sir. :)

I see you are doing 75.3 MPG, that is absolutely amazing, you must ride very conservative?
I'm happy if I reach 60 MPG, although I'm doing stop & go all day long, but 75 MPG sounds impossible? unless it's 90% highway / constant speed ?
Starting and stopping, along with high speed highway riding are mpg killers. If your riding environment demands that type of riding, there is little you can do about it. Near constant speed riding at moderate speeds yield the best fuel efficiency. I have no need to ride in cities or on fast highways, or have other traffic dictate how I ride. The environments I ride in allow me to ride in efficient ways.

So roughly 1" difference in suspension travel, 1.5" of seat height difference, and minor cosmetic differences on essentially the exact same bike makes one a proper road bike and the other a fake off road wannabe? Haha.....nah.

Well, did the op make a decision and buy a bike yet? I don't think there's enough difference between the two to worry about costs as long as you are ok with the looks of either and are happy once you sit on an S model and see firsthand.

And here's one of those fake off road wannabe bikes in bone stock form minus tires and brakes, imitating a proper road bike....LOL

View attachment 47557

That is an incredible pic of you TacoMan, you are Get'n Some!!! :{)

do you think the X version is slightly better off on terrible roads? it's horrible in my area full of putholes, broken parts etc. I wonder if that bit of extra suspension travel helps for that at least?
Yes, more suspension travel would help but... investing in better valving for the front forks - Racetech gold valve emulators or something like that. Also, if you modify the forks I would recommend putting boots on them. First, I recommend adding crash bars. I use and like R-Gaza available on Amazon sometimes and ebay always. Ships from Russia. If you are going to do delivery or something like that it is a must. NCX vs NCS - I like the look of the bodywork on the X but the NCS is easier to service and less to get damaged. Finally, you can't beat the lack of handlebar or frome foot peg vibration at nearly all RPM's + great mpg and reliability. Welcome to the family.

Back