• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X & CB500X Wheel Exchange.........????

M

Moto-Kafe

OK, this thread is for the Off-Road NC700 Riders who like to get their steeds muddy, dirty, forge thru streams, potholes, and the like.........and my theory is not tested (yet.....but stay tuned). I have both a 2012 NC700X and 2014 CB500X.......parked next to each other. Both use the same tire size.....I assume have the same wheel size?? The little CB500X utilizes (6) spokes on the cast wheel while the NC700X only uses (5) spokes. That said, six spokes must be somewhat more robust than just using five.....especially if you are thrashing your bike off road. The 500 brake disc uses (6) points of attachment to the wheel, the NC700X uses (5) again......one bolt for each spoke. I believe the disc diameters are the same altho their "wavy" patterns are alittle different....same number of cooling holes in each disc. So............one might speculate a CB500X wheel "might be" better suited for rough duty if it can be swapped to a NC700X?? All the part numbers are different......axles, bearings, spacers, etc.....but that is not unusual with bike makers, even tho the parts may be identical. Some Kawasaki's are like that.......same part, different #. I happen to have a spare set of CB500X wheels in the shop. If I get the "urge", I will pull my NC700X wheel off and try to quickly install the CB500X unit, just to see if it fits. BTW.......I have the CB500X wheels for sale regardless, if anyone is interested......PM me, will make you a great deal!! There should be an ample supply of CB500X wheel sets out there available since a good number of owners have swapped them out for the Spoked Rally Raid Wheels. Hey.........that gives me an idea: who wants spoked, gold-rimmed wheels on their NC700X Off-Road Beast??

I’m just theorizing here as perhaps you are. I’ve never damaged a wheel from impact but from what I’ve read here the damage is typically a bent rim. I’m not sure that the number of spokes would have much impact (pun intended) on the amount of damage that the bead/rim area would sustain.

However, there’s no doubt that a spare set of wheels is really useful for having a different set of tires ready to go, so yes, let us know if the 500 wheels fit the 700!

Last edited:
Good points, Greg.......most of the damages I have seen (pics, not in person) are bent rims (i.e. "lips").....and you are probably correct: 6 spokes or 16 spokes won't prevent that from happening. I did some reading (lightly) an hour ago on the ADV forum.......the Rally Raid Wheels are a no-go on the NC700x. If I pull my back wheel off this weekend, I'll try to fit the OEM 500X wheel on the 700X just to cure my curiousity. Stay tuned..........
mark444

If it works would be a nice option for owners if they need to replace a damaged wheel. Might be easier to find a used 500x wheel in the used market :)

OK, this thread is for the All the part numbers are different......axles, bearings, spacers, etc.....but that is not unusual with bike makers, even tho the parts may be identical. Some Kawasaki's are like that.......same part, different #.

I know for a fact (I was once a parts guy) that H-D & Yamaha use only one part number for a part regardless of what model bike it's used on. Based on what I've seen of Honda parts lists, they only use one part number per part. For logistical reasons, it's very inefficient to use multiple part numbers for a single part. It's not in accordance with manufacturing standards, and absolutely not permitted per MIL-Standards.

Based on what I've seen of Honda parts lists, they only use one part number per part. For logistical reasons, it's very inefficient to use multiple part numbers for a single part. It's not in accordance with manufacturing standards, and absolutely not permitted per MIL-Standards.

Maybe true for Yamaha/Honda, but not Kawasaki....no idea on Suzuki. I've owned (8) ZRX1100's & 1200's, many of their parts are identical and interchange, but have different numbers.
I guess my Honda CB500X and NC700X parts-swap might be too good to be true. I'll still try the rear wheel swap thang (just to see if it will work) and post my results....good or bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a rear cush-hub thingy (don't know the technical term) with the front and rear sprockets and chain from a crashed CBR500 on e-bay as inexpensive replacement parts for my worn out chain and sprockets. I wanted to see if the cush-hub with rear sprocket attached would just drop in to the NC rear wheel, and it does perfectly EXCEPT the bearing for the rear spindle is too small. Everything else bolted on without any issues. I would think the CB500X and CBR500 likely share components.

By all means try it out, but I be the CB spindle is smaller than the NC.

I believe this has been covered before. The brake rotors are not interchangeable and neither are the calibers..

Sent from my Z917VL using Tapatalk

the nc and 500x do share some wheel parts.. I have spoke wheels on my nc700 19 inch front and cush drive 17 on the rear .

HBP, can you please post more info how you put 19" wheel on the front, and what was required to do that?
Or, if you have posted the procedure here (or somewhere else), can you please share the link?

Thanks.

Back