• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question NC700X Covers- Outdoor storing

Archetype

Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya folks,

Looking for recommendations for decent covers that won't break the bank. I bought a cheap "XYZCTEM All Season Black" on amazon and it ripped at multiple seams in about a month and a half. It's true what they say you get what you pay for, but this just goes to show you can't trust inflated reviews, that's why I want to hear from you; Owners of the same bike who have tried and true covers. I live in sunny California so the worst conditions I have to deal with are excessive heat, dew buildup overnight, and dust in the air, it rains once in a blue moon.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for - and if not feel free to disregard. I bought one of the folding motorcycle shelters and have been very happy with it. I got the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter in size Small. $200 shipped from Walmart:

My bike is my daily commuter for work, and a cover that I would have to remove, fold up, and carry inside each morning before I could get going would not work for me.

Yes, $200 is a lot of money. But I rent my house and it doesn't have a garage, and building a shed or buying a plastic one to put in the back yard would have been way more expensive than this. Honestly, I think the bike stays more dry and in better condition sitting outside in a vented tent than it did in my last garage, although it gets a coating of dirt and dust on it when it is windy out.

I went with the small size rather than large. I liked the Quictent because the product description had a detailed diagram with measurements. The limiting factor is not the "height" but the "length" - that is, the first arm that swings down over the bike to hold the tent to the ground. The solution was to simply remove the cross-member in that arm so that the fabric can stretch around the tail of the bike. Now it fits like a glove.

I wanted the small because it fits in the alleyway between my house and the neighbors; the wide would have been too large and blocked the path to the backyard.

Another plus was that reviews indicated that the heavy-duty 600D fabric was high quality, which I think it is. I just hit it with some waterproofing spray once a year (the kind you get for camping gear and regular camping tents). The fabric is thick and seems like it will last forever. The tubes that hold up the frame are just painted carbon steel - and are starting to rust. I hit them with some WD-40 and tighten the bolts every year; I think they will last 3-4 years, at which point we will hopefully be moved into a house w/ garage.

PM me if you want to know more details or see some photos of the setup.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for - and if not feel free to disregard. I bought one of the folding motorcycle shelters and have been very happy with it. I got the Quictent Heavy Duty Motorcycle Shelter in size Small. $200 shipped from Walmart:

My bike is my daily commuter for work, and a cover that I would have to remove, fold up, and carry inside each morning before I could get going would not work for me.

Yes, $200 is a lot of money. But I rent my house and it doesn't have a garage, and building a shed or buying a plastic one to put in the back yard would have been way more expensive than this. Honestly, I think the bike stays more dry and in better condition sitting outside in a vented tent than it did in my last garage, although it gets a coating of dirt and dust on it when it is windy out.

I went with the small size rather than large. I liked the Quictent because the product description had a detailed diagram with measurements. The limiting factor is not the "height" but the "length" - that is, the first arm that swings down over the bike to hold the tent to the ground. The solution was to simply remove the cross-member in that arm so that the fabric can stretch around the tail of the bike. Now it fits like a glove.

I wanted the small because it fits in the alleyway between my house and the neighbors; the wide would have been too large and blocked the path to the backyard.

Another plus was that reviews indicated that the heavy-duty 600D fabric was high quality, which I think it is. I just hit it with some waterproofing spray once a year (the kind you get for camping gear and regular camping tents). The fabric is thick and seems like it will last forever. The tubes that hold up the frame are just painted carbon steel - and are starting to rust. I hit them with some WD-40 and tighten the bolts every year; I think they will last 3-4 years, at which point we will hopefully be moved into a house w/ garage.

PM me if you want to know more details or see some photos of the setup.
Yeah this is probably a lot more than what I need I want something with portability as well.

Silver Dowco have been around forever. Very good value, UV strong, packs small, water proof w/air vents, have owned many over 30 years, don't wear out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
I have a black and grey Dowco Weather-All Plus in size XL that I have been using for the past 15 years or so. I think I bought it for my Honda Silver Wing. I can be lazy and keep my 52 liter top case on the bike, the Dowco cover still works. Just 2 months ago the heat resistant lower grey area started to tear. The bike is stored outside except for the winter.

My bike sits in the garage at home and I try to avoid riding in inclement weather. So the only cover I've used is a small cheap one to keep the sun off in the summer. It really helps when I come back from working all day when it's over 100 degrees. It keeps the seat cool enough to sit on and stretches over the handgrips so my gloves won't meld with them. But that's all it covers. It's useless for rain or dust storms. In fact, if it gets wet I have to dry it out by leaving it on the bike. but it does fit in the frunk.

I bought a Bilt large touring one at Cycle Gear in October. On sale for 21.00 dollars. Has 2 tie down bungies at front wheel and middle of bike. Plus 2 vents. Held up well in high winds and storm. Easy on and off. Also has elastic around bottom. Black top and silver bottom.

Down and dirty get a tarp fold in half use wire ties or get a grommet kit use some duct tape at seams if you like. I have done this for years (in Boy Scouts we made tents with H/D plastic sheets)many colors and strengths available from Harbor Frieght or Home cheepo. Can be used as a tent when on the road with only a couple of stakes and 2 bungees.

Back