• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT for First Time Rider?

Don’t be a stranger after the acquisition, come back and let us know how ya like her!

During your rider course you probably heard the term more than once about your "riding career" or some variation of that. Riding is an growing, learning, evolving thing. If you enjoy riding then trust me your first bike is not going to be your final bike. So comments by friends and others about a bikes size being a determining factor is really useless for the most part. There is a reason they put everyone on 125,150,200,250cc bikes in the riders course. Learning the art of slow maneuvers is one of the big keys to motorcycle competence. I would encourage you to spend time learning to ride well. I frankly find that the bigger bikes don't facilitate that skill building in the same way. Since your not focusing in the off road area maybe worrying about having to pick your bike up over and over again isn't weighing in on your decision, but it is a factor at some point of having to pick up a bike.

During our riding careers we tend to migrate up to bigger and bigger bikes. Some stay there. It is a learning experience. I find I am going the opposite direction now to smaller and smaller bikes. I find them more fun, easier to ride well, and very economical. So enjoy your motorcycle journey. Take what you learned to heart in the MSF course and ignore your friends. Whatever you decide to ride enjoy the journey, but be safe.

A lot of people that love to ride will end up with 2 or more bikes in the garage that meet riding criteria that isn't handled well by one of the other bikes they own. You may find the same thing as your riding career progresses. I have found that there is no such thing as "one size fits all" and not every problem can use a hammer to fix it.

Have fun on your bike.

I just found out there is an Advanced Rider Course in my town taught by a local motorcycle cop that competes in that sport. I'm planning on signing up for that as well as soon as it makes sense. I want to get as good at riding as I can to be as safe as possible out there.

Don't forget to budget for good riding gear and bike accessories. That can easily be $1000 to start (helmet, boots, gloves, jacket with protection). Other items aren't urgent but can add up to $3-5000.
That's one advantage for the NC, leaves room in the budget.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah, just to point from above, the minimum will be $1000. you dont have to buy top of the line gear, but you need decent gear. Do not overlook motorcycle boots. Personally, hiking boots wont cut it. just imagine sliding down the road with your foot pinned under a 500-600 pound motorcycle.

There are plenty of discussions concerning gear on the site, just dont forget to add it to your budget.

I was thinking of getting a Shoei full face helmet, a jacket and gloves at least. I don't know much about the boots though. I'd like to get some, but I have a 14EEE foot and wonder how easy it will be to find some.

Here's a pic of the bike I'm hopefully buying today

30623712_10213602425588427_218979654910869504_o.jpg

During your rider course you probably heard the term more than once about your "riding career" or some variation of that. Riding is an growing, learning, evolving thing. If you enjoy riding then trust me your first bike is not going to be your final bike. So comments by friends and others about a bikes size being a determining factor is really useless for the most part. There is a reason they put everyone on 125,150,200,250cc bikes in the riders course. Learning the art of slow maneuvers is one of the big keys to motorcycle competence. I would encourage you to spend time learning to ride well. I frankly find that the bigger bikes don't facilitate that skill building in the same way. Since your not focusing in the off road area maybe worrying about having to pick your bike up over and over again isn't weighing in on your decision, but it is a factor at some point of having to pick up a bike.

During our riding careers we tend to migrate up to bigger and bigger bikes. Some stay there. It is a learning experience. I find I am going the opposite direction now to smaller and smaller bikes. I find them more fun, easier to ride well, and very economical. So enjoy your motorcycle journey. Take what you learned to heart in the MSF course and ignore your friends. Whatever you decide to ride enjoy the journey, but be safe.

A lot of people that love to ride will end up with 2 or more bikes in the garage that meet riding criteria that isn't handled well by one of the other bikes they own. You may find the same thing as your riding career progresses. I have found that there is no such thing as "one size fits all" and not every problem can use a hammer to fix it.

Have fun on your bike.
+1... as an MSF Instructor I couldn't have said it better. Amazing how many people come through with no experience at all who already have an R1, CBR 1000, large Harley or other cruiser.... We try to inform but sometimes Darwin rules.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I was thinking of getting a Shoei full face helmet, a jacket and gloves at least. I don't know much about the boots though. I'd like to get some, but I have a 14EEE foot and wonder how easy it will be to find some.

I wear a basic industrial sort of steel toe boot. Heavy leather uppers, 6" overall height I think. You can get a nice pair for $200.
Here you are:

Amazon.com | Thorogood 804-4203 Men's American Heritage 6" Classic Plain Toe, Safety Toe Boot, Black Walnut - 14 3E US | Industrial & Construction Boots

I wear a basic industrial sort of steel toe boot. Heavy leather uppers, 6" overall height I think. You can get a nice pair for $200.
Here you are:

Amazon.com | Thorogood 804-4203 Men's American Heritage 6" Classic Plain Toe, Safety Toe Boot, Black Walnut - 14 3E US | Industrial & Construction Boots

I found this to be another side benefit to the DCT vs. toe shifting; I can wear whatever footgear I like from motorcycle boots to work boots without having to first consider whether they will fit or flex under a shift lever! :rolleyes: :). And that’s pretty nice.

I just found out there is an Advanced Rider Course in my town taught by a local motorcycle cop that competes in that sport. I'm planning on signing up for that as well as soon as it makes sense. I want to get as good at riding as I can to be as safe as possible out there.

That would be a great idea! There is a great Youtube channel called MCrider I recommend to everyone. Fantastic teacher and coach in the Zen of motorcycle riding. Great stuff.

One last bit of encouragement for you. You remember when we were kids and we wished we could be like some superhero? Like Superman, or Flash Gordon. Or have some fantastic super power like to be invisible? Well guess what? Who knew that all you needed to do to get the super power of invisibility was to buy a motorcycle!?! LOL And you know what? I no longer wish to have that super power!

People on the road are more distracted and dangerous than ever. We as motorcyclists can be driving as safely and as responsibly as possible and a distracted or reckless driver can end your day in a bad way. Assume your invisible. Cover those controls as you approach intersections. Maybe do a little bob and weave in the lane as you approach the intersection to catch drivers attention. For all intents and purposes if you are on a motorcycle you are invisible. Assume the worst and make it home or to your destination in one piece. Well you get the idea...

One of the things that nearly bit me when I was a newer rider was riding on some twisty mountain roads. I had traveled the road before, but didn't know it that well. I had not traveled it on a motorcycle. I had a new to me VFR and was LOVING every minute of it. It wasn't my first bike as I had owned several others and I really wanted that VFR. So I bought it. Unfortunately I was enjoying it a little too much and misjudged a coming curve. I didn't know just how much of a decreasing radius the curve was as it was blind and I was carrying way too much speed into that curve. It is a common mistake riders make and it can get you killed.

I got lucky I was able to get it slowed down and that there was a very very wide shoulder there or it was going to be motorcycle splat all over the side of that cliff wall. I was overly confident of my skills and the ability of the bike. It is easy to get overconfident when your riding a machine like that. The day was saved, but I about had to go to the hospital to have the motorcycle seat surgically removed from my very tightly clenched butt cheeks and I never forgot that lesson.

So take it easy. Motorcycles are a lot of fun. As others pointed out this is not an inexpensive hobby! LOL

One last bit of encouragement for you. You remember when we were kids and we wished we could be like some superhero? Like Superman, or Flash Gordon. Or have some fantastic super power like to be invisible? Well guess what? Who knew that all you needed to do to get the super power of invisibility was to buy a motorcycle!?! LOL And you know what? I no longer wish to have that super power!

Brother, you said a mouthful. :rolleyes:

I appreciate the info. I've been riding on the same roads on bicycles for the last 5 years/19,000+ miles and I can confirm that bicycles are also invisible on the road. I treat every car as blind to me. I wave at them, do a little side to side motion on the bike to catch their eye, etc. I watch wheels instead of eyes as I've had people look dead at me and pull out in front of me. Wheels don't lie. I'll continue treating the road the same as I do with the bicycle with this new motorcycle as well, while I learning a new skill set in the process.

I've been watching every YouTube video I can find on what to do, what not to do on a motorcycle in the last week. I've watched several MCRider videos along with others. I'm trying to amass as much rider safety knowledge as I can before I go pick this thing up Saturday morning. It's a 50 mile ride home from the dealership, so I'm going to need all the know how I can get it.

One of the things that nearly bit me when I was a newer rider was riding on some twisty mountain roads. I had traveled the road before, but didn't know it that well. I had not traveled it on a motorcycle. I had a new to me VFR and was LOVING every minute of it. It wasn't my first bike as I had owned several others and I really wanted that VFR. So I bought it. Unfortunately I was enjoying it a little too much and misjudged a coming curve. I didn't know just how much of a decreasing radius the curve was as it was blind and I was carrying way too much speed into that curve. It is a common mistake riders make and it can get you killed.

I got lucky I was able to get it slowed down and that there was a very very wide shoulder there or it was going to be motorcycle splat all over the side of that cliff wall. I was overly confident of my skills and the ability of the bike. It is easy to get overconfident when your riding a machine like that. The day was saved, but I about had to go to the hospital to have the motorcycle seat surgically removed from my very tightly clenched butt cheeks and I never forgot that lesson.

So take it easy. Motorcycles are a lot of fun. As others pointed out this is not an inexpensive hobby! LOL

I recommend 'Twist of the Wrist" books and videos by Keith Code.

In some situations, your Survival Reactions (braking, letting off the throttle, standing the bike up) etc... will get you killed.

One of the things you can train yourself to do (and it's hard) is to hang off the bike more and lean the bike more when you're in a hot corner. You would be surprised at just how far the NC700X gets over.

The sensation is odd and it feels like you're gonna flatten it and lowside when in reality it's like this: / or this \

Have someone film you making the tightest turn you feel comfortable with and watch the video. The bike can go so much more over than you think it can.

In this video you can see the '20mph' super twisty sign which is usually a clue to slow down. The bike could have leaned more, but it looks like the rider paniced and pulled front brake and lost traction. (Can't be sure but the way that wheel folded...)

[video=youtube;ZB-vdrpZyrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-vdrpZyrs[/video]

Last edited:
You’ll be fine on the way home and for a while yet because you’ll be so afraid of doing the wrong thing and going down. It’s three months from now when danger really ramps up for novice riders. Over confidence hurts.

Also, make sure both of the tires are always, always, and did i say ALWAYS aired up properly!!! just my $.02 worth..., enjoy the ride! :{)

My buddy saved my bacon. We got to the dealership right as they opened and traffic was already bad on the interstate. On top of that, the winds were 22+ MPH sustained with gusts of 35-40mph. There was a wind advisory issued, regardless it was 50 long interstate miles to get the bike home.

My buddy suggested I take the back roads for a while to warm up my skills before jumping on the interstate. I'm really glad I listened, it made the ride much better. I still got 30+ miles on the main freeway and it sucked. Traffic everywhere, cars cutting across lanes and it was cold and I was under dressed. Felt like someone was punching me in the chest unexpectedly ever so often. I tried ducking down closer to the bike, but the wind was so hard I couldn't get away from it. The winds were blowing so hard that it was standing me back up in the turns forcing me to make emergency corrective actions while trapped between cars in high speed turns. I thought I was in real trouble a couple of times. My buddy stayed on my tail and protected me.

When we got to his house I was shivering and cramping from being cold and gripping the bike so hard. Once we got there, he told me that aside from rain, those conditions I just did were the worst he had ever ridden in the years he's been riding. I sure can pick a day to start riding motorcycles!

We stopped at his house and hung out 30 minutes or so to give me enough time to thaw out and get the courage back up to get back on the bike, then we set off to get lunch and ride some more out on the country roads. I ended up putting around 100 miles on the bike yesterday. Loved it once it warmed up and I got off the interstate and started taking back roads. I only came home because I had a gig last night. I was so tired at the gig and sleep well last night. Even a little sore today. Planning on riding some more today. I'm going to be a backroad slowpoke for a while I can tell.

I also came up with a nickname for my bike that made me laugh yesterday while I was riding. This bike has so much tech that makes riding it so easy that I thought it feels like a big scooter. Hence, the "Liter Scooter" :)

What a day. Thanks to all that helped with this deal.

Last edited:
Wind is our constant companion in Texas. Continue riding in it and getting comfortable with it. It is not only challenging in motion... a strong enough gust can lay you low at a stop, esp on a tall bike that makes a good sail. It's in the gusty wind where a good windscreen and especially a good helmet make all the difference. Eventually you let the bike do what it wants and only nudge it back into line, avoiding a death grip on the bars which only makes things worse.

When you ride a bike, you are signing up for the occasional less than enjoyable ordeal, but proper gear and experience are a great help.

Back