Nc700x highway riding before first service a good idea?

15mtyler

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 260ish miles on my new nc700x and was wondering if it is a good idea to do any highway riding before the first 600 mile service, or am I good to go

PapaC

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ What he said. With the tolerances now achieved in modern engines, break in periods have virtually been eliminated. On autos/trucks, you need to gently mesh the axle gears, but the engines are good to go from the factory. Enjoy the ride!

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it’s safe to do highway riding. Enjoy the ride; don’t worry.

I think the motorcycle 600 mile first service thing is ultra conservative. On modern cars, there are no recommended rpm limits, and your first oil change may be at approximately 10,000 miles.

Isn’t it strange that the first recommended motorcycle service is at 600 miles, or approximately 1000 even kilometers? That’s a nice round number, more likely based on the convenience of the number, rather than any factual mechanical basis.

Jt105

Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly, my user manual said to take it easy for the first 300 miles then do the first service at 600 miles.

Shouldn’t be a problem.

Honda just doesn’t want someone to hop on a new zero mile bike and ride 80mph for hours on end at the same speed.

JT

Junkie

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO a significant reason for break-in is to get the rider used to the bike.

Grey1one

Reaction score
Visit site
New bikes are quite different from the old days, my 2018 Goldwing break-in only says NO hard accelerations or declarations for the first 300 miles.
The first service is at 4K, yes 4K.
That is the entire break-in procedure, I've got about 7K on it with no problems following those recommendations.