• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nc700x highway riding before first service a good idea?

15mtyler

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 260ish miles on my new nc700x and was wondering if it is a good idea to do any highway riding before the first 600 mile service, or am I good to go

^^ What he said. With the tolerances now achieved in modern engines, break in periods have virtually been eliminated. On autos/trucks, you need to gently mesh the axle gears, but the engines are good to go from the factory. Enjoy the ride!

Yes, it’s safe to do highway riding. Enjoy the ride; don’t worry.

I think the motorcycle 600 mile first service thing is ultra conservative. On modern cars, there are no recommended rpm limits, and your first oil change may be at approximately 10,000 miles.

Isn’t it strange that the first recommended motorcycle service is at 600 miles, or approximately 1000 even kilometers? That’s a nice round number, more likely based on the convenience of the number, rather than any factual mechanical basis.

If I remember correctly, my user manual said to take it easy for the first 300 miles then do the first service at 600 miles.

Shouldn’t be a problem.

Honda just doesn’t want someone to hop on a new zero mile bike and ride 80mph for hours on end at the same speed.

JT

IMO a significant reason for break-in is to get the rider used to the bike.

Sure, go ahead, just dont do full throttle untill 500-600 miles on the bike. When I bought mine new in 2013, it was 3.5 hours away. I rode it home on 2 lane, 4 lane, hills, straights, curves, and back country roads. Good for the bike keeping rpms changing...

New bikes are quite different from the old days, my 2018 Goldwing break-in only says NO hard accelerations or declarations for the first 300 miles.
The first service is at 4K, yes 4K.
That is the entire break-in procedure, I've got about 7K on it with no problems following those recommendations.

Back