• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x manual shift - downshifting issue?

Somehow I've never seen this thread. I'm probably not understanding the issue but as I read it I'm not hearing anything out of the norm. My NC does the same things and so did my CBR before it. Normally I"ll shift down to first before I come to a full stop but sometimes I don't. If that happens and she doesn't want to go into gear I feather the clutch as was mention. I pretty much remember doing this for years. I don't even think about it. Just do it. I thought it was normal.

This trans works just like I remember my 1974 CB750 SO many years ago. (The last bike I had - 30+ yrs ago)
You will get used to when and how to shift it.
Nothing to see here folks, just move along....

Hello, all!

I have another question regarding the way the transmission works. The other day I was riding at around 40 mph, I came up to a red light. Therefore I knew I would need to completely stop. I disengaged the clutch and tried going down to 1st gear to be ready to roll when the light changed to green, but the transmission would not go into 1st gear. It would kick me back to N (neutral) I did this about 3 times, until I realized that... well just maybe the transmission has some way of blocking 1st gear when one is going at high speeds. Am I correct in thinking this? I tried doing some research but the only thing that I found was something about row shifting and how, riders should not row shift unless they are on the track. Is this correct?

Is it bad practice to shift all the way to 1st from a high gear, let's say 5th gear, when one is moving pretty fast. I do not think there would be any damage to the bike since I am not releasing the clutch lever, right?

Thank you for the feedback, I know these are some newbie questions.

Tony

Yes, some bikes will not shift into 1st gear while at a high rate of speed, basically same explanation as the 'dogs' wont line up. I have 3 different bikes, 3 different manufacturers and they don't shift into 1st gear above 30mph, one wont shift into 1st gear above 25mph, and I had a bike which wouldn't shift into 1st gear above 20mph. I just don't do it though. Unless an emergency stop, I down shift to stops (allow engine braking-easier on the disk pads) while my speed is decelerating.

The NC has one of the best shifting gearboxes of any motorcycle I have owned. If it is not shifting properly for someone then either there is something wrong with it that needs warranty attention or, the shifter is not in the correct position for the rider or, the rider is not using the correct shifting procedure as recommended.

Two aspects of shifting mentioned on here are totally against normal practices and not recommended. One is to try and shift down into a really low gear ( 1st ot even 2nd ) when at speed. For various mechanical reasons, some of which are explained above, that puts a huge strain on the gearbox. The other is to try and shift down several gears from a high gear when actually stationary. It simply will not work with all bikes as the gear shafts need to be spinning to do so, and they will only do that when the motorcycle is in motion . Getting the bike to move to change down the gears when in a really high gear and stopped, is in turn putting a heavy strain on the clutch. The simple answer is to shift down the gears one at a time in while braking to arrive at a position ready to go into 1st, when one actually comes to a halt. Sometimes this situation can pertain because of a requirement for a panic stop. That is allowed but should not be frequent practice.

I had the clutch plates and pads changed today. The plates were blueish and the pads were dark, the service guy who recommeded replacing them told me that they were scorched, thus they were not disengaging completely and that was why shifthing was hard.

It shifts like a dream now and I agree with those who say NC gearbox is quite ok.. :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Common place for me if I don't downshift before stopped and stop in like third gear - just let the clutch out a little and pull back in then it drops right down.

Back