• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X or NC750X auto model as your only m/c

You made a couple comments that caught my attention so I'll throw in my two cents. There have been several conversations over a Manual vs a DCT. I will choose the manual every time but several riders on this forum have or have had carpal tunnel and swear by the automatic transmission to help with this problem. Especially as it related to heavy traffic areas. I like having total control so stick with the manual intentionally. You also made mention of a different bike being too high. Have you sat on a NC700? I would consider myself average height and I cannot flat foot this bike. Many people have had to install lowering links so although the bike has a low center of gravity it can still be a little tipsy at stops if you cannot flatfoot the bike. You mentioned upkeep. I don't know what you have rode previously but remember that this bike has a chain which requires oiling and changing every 10-14k. No belt or shaft drive here so for someone like me, I go through a chain just about every year and I'm oiling it every 5-6th tank. You made ride less so it won't be an issue. Many aspects of maintenance are easy on this bike except for maybe the air filter. It is buried.

What I meant about seat height is the V-Strom 1000 is about 33”” tall at the seat. The NC is 31”, and I’m good with that. I can put lowering links if needed. ( my DRZ was also 33”-34”). Also What I meant to say about maintenance is not that the NC is any less work, I meant that after owning multiple bikes at one time taking care of several is what I don’t need to do anymore. Otherwise I enjoy wrenching/ maintenance on my own.The reason for considering the auto (DC) version will give my clutch hand a break in traffic. After riding and wrenching for over 50 yrs, and now having some medical issues I’m ready to settle down with one bike (well maybe two) if I keep the Scout.

This is a very difficult question to ask of this or any forum. You have riders with 5 months experience here and riders with 50 years behind them and you have riders that are happy riding to work and back and riders that happily ride to CA and back.

The NC can do both with aplomb with the requisite additions of equipment and it's a rare bike that enthusiastic owners leave as it came out of the box. The NC is no different. It needs modifications to wind management and suspension to compete with more capable bikes that cost $5,000 to $10,000 more new and the cost differences new (or used) buys a lot of farkles and gasoline. IMO the NC is the modern era equivalent of the BMW airheads of the 70s to 90s. They possess adequate power to travel long distances and operating costs are very low. Other bikes may be faster, quicker, flashier or more luxurious but a simple bike with less can be more. If one typically day rides close to home the NC needs very little to excel in that role. Several hundred dollars fixes the fork and a few hundred more in a seat are well spent.

My only concern with the NC as the last bike for the autumn years is the seat height. The center of gravity and mass are commendably low and centralized but we have to touch the ground with our feet at some point and push the bike around garages and parking lots. I personally raised the seat height on mine as a result of suspension and seat mods and it's the limit for me at approximately 33.75". I'm 63 with a >29" leg reach to ground. I know I can take my NC 1 to 1.5" down as I age.

Yes, a difficult question to ask on this or any other forum. And I thank you and all others for all the replies. You see you just answered some of my questions it when you said the NC can do both short/long commutes. BTW I also owned a late model GL, along with 29 other bikes. Just doing my homework on the NC before I buy.

What I meant about seat height is the V-Strom 1000 is about 33”” tall at the seat. The NC is 31”, and I’m good with that. I can put lowering links if needed. ( my DRZ was also 33”-34”). Also What I meant to say about maintenance is not that the NC is any less work, I meant that after owning multiple bikes at one time taking care of several is what I don’t need to do anymore. Otherwise I enjoy wrenching/ maintenance on my own.The reason for considering the auto (DC) version will give my clutch hand a break in traffic. After riding and wrenching for over 50 yrs, and now having some medical issues I’m ready to settle down with one bike (well maybe two) if I keep the Scout.

The NC is a bit taller than you think. The stock height of the NC700 and 750 is 32.7 inches. So, it would be right at the range of the Vstrom 1000. I suggest finding a dealer near you and sitting on one just to get the feel for it.

The NC is a bit taller than you think. The stock height of the NC700 and 750 is 32.7 inches. So, it would be right at the range of the Vstrom 1000. I suggest finding a dealer near you and sitting on one just to get the feel for it.
Or find a forum member near you to sit on their bike!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Due to rheumatism I swapped in 2016 my Yamaha FJR1300 (2003, manual) to a 2015 Honda NC750X DCT. I thought initially that the change was hard for me (I always ride solo) as I really loved the FJR, but the NC is such an easy to handle substitute, that I have not missed the FJR yet. At high speed (>140 kph) the FJR is more stable and comfortable, but the NC is more fun on twisty (mountain) roads as it seems to respond to my thoughts. The DCT is a fool-proof transmission while I still have full control if needed. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still go for the NC. Apart from my disease, the cost of usage and maintenance is quite important to me, and the NC is 1/3 of the FJR. Big difference. Too much to swap back to the FJR if I could in good health.

Back