• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question NC700X starting issue.

Poohstyx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I've had one instance of the starting issue on my 2012 NC700X, where the battery needs to be removed to reset the system.

1) How often does this occur?
2) Which models does it affect?
3) How long does the battery have to be disconnected?

Hi all,
I've had one instance of the starting issue on my 2012 NC700X, where the battery needs to be removed to reset the system.

1) How often does this occur?
2) Which models does it affect?
3) How long does the battery have to be disconnected?

1) Once, according to your experience.
2) Your 2012 NC700X, apparently.
3) However long you disconnected the battery was apparently sufficient.

If you are trolling, the thread and your account will be deleted quickly. If you are honestly looking for some help, you need to provide a lot more information about your motorcycle and whatever problem you are having. I am unaware of “the starting issue” with a 2012 model requiring a system reset, remedied by disconnecting the battery.

Trolling for help? isn't that an oxymoron?
So I ask for help & your reply is to question my honesty? Good move, now everybody can see your motives.
You are unaware of any starting issue as described, funny that, the motorcycle industry and several user groups are apparently aware of it.
Really? I provided all the required information. Maybe you want details that have no relevance?

Trolling for help? isn't that an oxymoron?
So I ask for help & your reply is to question my honesty? Good move, now everybody can see your motives.
You are unaware of any starting issue as described, funny that, the motorcycle industry and several user groups are apparently aware of it.
Really? I provided all the required information. Maybe you want details that have no relevance?
I did not suggest trolling for help, rather trolling to start a controversy over a supposedly known problem that may not even exist. In 9 years of discussions on this forum, yours is the first reported example of “the starting issue” that requires a system reset, on a 2012 model. I guess we’re the dummies.

Your problem description was extremely brief. I did give you the benefit of doubt and suggested that if you need help, you will need to provide a better description of your problem. You could also share what the motorcycle industry and several user groups know about this problem. We’d love to learn about it.

To begin, let’s talk about symptoms.
1) Does this starting issue problem happen on both DCT and manual transmission models?
2) What is the typical age of battery when this problem occurs? Does it happen with a new battery?
3) Are there any diagnostic trouble codes set, and/or does the MIL illuminate?
4) When the engine will not start, do other electric functions work normally, like the combination meter, fuel pump, lights, etc.?
5) Does the starter relay engage, and the starter motor run?
6) Does the problem affect all model years of NC7x0X models?

...You are unaware of any starting issue as described,... I provided all the required information. ...
For some strange reason, the information you provide about your problems is invisible to us.
Could you please repeat in more detail what the problems are with starting your NC700X.
Certainly disconnecting the battery cannot have any effect.

Standard knowledge within the industry states that it is a common problem that can affect any DCT model, has no cure and is not predictable (but is believed that it may sometimes be connected to the side stand switch or cutout switch). It states that removing the battery for a while will allow the system to reset which may fix it. You have the model and the year, everything else is standard. What more do you need?

Standard knowledge within the industry states that it is a common problem that can affect any DCT model, has no cure and is not predictable (but is believed that it may sometimes be connected to the side stand switch or cutout switch). It states that removing the battery for a while will allow the system to reset which may fix it. You have the model and the year, everything else is standard. What more do you need?
I guess you know more about it than I do, as again, I don't remember the problem, as you describe it, being mentioned on this forum. I cannot answer any of the 3 questions in your original post.

BTW, you said earlier you had supplied all the required information, but it was not until your third post that you specified that this affected DCT models. Ah, that is important and now we have more to go on. I'm hoping DCT owners will share their knowledge. Secondly, answers to questions 2-6 that I posed in post #4 would help greatly.

What we do know is that the DCT places some additional electrical load on the battery at startup. A bad battery connection will increase the chance of starting problems. Perhaps disconnection and re-connection of the battery restores good electrical continuity and remedies the start problem. Low battery voltage on an NC often causes a diagnostic trouble code indicating a communication fault with the combination meter.

Last edited:

I have only ever heard of the disconnect battery "reset" with KTM's but not with Hondas. As suggested above I would only ever disconnect the battery if I suspected a poor connectivity in the first place. Perhaps try the UK forum ?

Griff and 670 have good points…. …..battery disconnection……..would “ fix“ a poor battery connection.

Maybe I'm not in the know because I have MT, not DCT, but I didn't hear of "the" starting issue.
I had heard some late-M/Y DCTs had a stall issue, suspected to be linked to the TBW, but the bike already has to be running for it to stall.

I had an intermittent start issue on my Ninja which turned out to be caused by the switch housing misaligned with the actual start switch so pushing the "start" didn't close the actual switch. A battery pull wouldn't have fixed it, however it was intermittent which can make for false "solutions" during troubleshooting. Might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Back