• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x Tool Kit

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My used bike didn't come with one. I am thinking of building one. This may be fun for the group. As the ideas roll in and are approved by the group, i'll update this message.

Guidelines

• Tools are for roadside/hotel repairs only
  • Tool has to be a MUST HAVE
  • Tool has to be portable and light
  • Can also include MUST HAVE spare parts
  • Final kit needs to be small enough to carry in a saddlebag

I'll start:

1. Metric Allen Wrench Set
  2. Universal Screwdriver with Bits in Handle

My new NC came with a screwdriver, fuse puller and a thingamajig for hanging your helmet.
I am also looking for a tool set that makes sense.
Collecting the tools that I have actually used on performing maintenance is a start.
What makes sense is a bike specific tool set without extraneous tools.
Anything that costs more than the sum of individual tools is automatically OUT.

What I carry:

1. Motiion Pro 08-0161 Multi-Purpose Metric Tool
2. Weatherman 830039 Wave Multi-Tool
3. Motion Pro aluminum tire bead breaker
4. Motion Pro T6 TIRE LEVER 23 mm
5. Small squirt bottle of Palmolive soap
6. Long spark plug wrench, also used as cheater bar.
7. Small bottle of chain oil
8. Motion Pro chain tool
9. Small motorcycle kit multi-sided screw driver
10. Small motorcycle kit pliers.
11. Small ratchet with 6mm to 12 mm sockets (Harbor Freight $5)
12. Electric tape
13. Small motorcycle air compressor
14. Tire patch kit.
15. 17mm allen wrench from sears

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture of the tool kit provided by Honda for the NC700X outside the US. (I stole this a while ago from someone else on the forum.)

DSC_1078_1 (1).jpg

These are the proper size fuses for the bike. And this is the wrench you need to remove the rear wheel. (You'll really need two.) Finally, if you carry a 3/8" ratchet, get this little guy to help remove the front wheel. Yes, the "17mm Drain Plug Socket For Fill Plugs on VW and Other German Vehicles" is the correct tool for removing the front wheel. Don't ask me why...

Last edited:
Don't buy any tools to do a job that you don't know how to actually do or are willing to learn BEFORE you need to do it! Side of the road, at night, raining is not the time for you to use your Google-fu skills to learn how to use a tool to fix a problem you aren't sure about!! Sometimes the best tool is just a cell phone with coverage and a membership to something like AMA!! If you frequently ride in areas with poor to no cell phone coverage then that obviously changes things! If you have cell coverage though, then one of the batteries that can also jump start your bike as well as charge your phone is highly useful, along with some basic tools.

I personally like the Nubo driver, some JIS screwdrivers, mechanical wire, threadlock (blue), mini ratchet, adj wrench, locking pliers, TP pencil, the right sized Allen's, and a shielded magnetic pen! A knife/multi-tool and a flashlight are a given whether on a bike or not, else include those too! Some electrical tape and a plug kit, mini-compressor round it out.

When I asked the dealer for the tool kit for my new bike I was surprised that the tool kit had a screw driver and fuse puller. During my research
on the bike I found a complete tool kit on the Bike Bandit site, so I assumed that is what I would get. I found most of the tools in my collection that
were on the list and will have to order the rest, such as the spark plug wrench.

I read some good advice a while back, use the bikes tool kit to do your maintenance to find out what else you might need. My Honda CB750
has the original tool kit and almost everything can be done with that kit.

An AMA card is good insurance.

What I carry:

1. Motiion Pro 08-0161 Multi-Purpose Metric Tool
2. Weatherman 830039 Wave Multi-Tool
3. Motion Pro aluminum tire bead breaker
4. Motion Pro T6 TIRE LEVER 23 mm
5. Small squirt bottle of Palmolive soap
6. Long spark plug wrench, also used as cheater bar.
7. Small bottle of chain oil
8. Motion Pro chain tool
9. Small motorcycle kit multi-sided screw driver
10. Small motorcycle kit pliers.
11. Small ratchet with 6mm to 12 mm sockets (Harbor Freight $5)
12. Electric tape
13. Small motorcycle air compressor
14. Tire patch kit.
15. 17mm allen wrench from sears

OCR, I was out buying some tools today for the bike kit and I was just looking at your list. I am confused on the Motion Pro T6 tire lever in 23mm? Why 23mm? I thought we needed a 22mm and a 27mm? Can you help me understand why 23mm? Thanks!

So in my "grand wisdom" today I thought, well if I buy some "better tools" with a lifetime warranty that if I have any issues I can get replaced without a hassle... And my thinking was, WAS that if you spend more for the tool and they are going to put a warranty on it like that it is probably a decent tool and you are not going to have any issues... Boy WAS I mistaken. So I picked up some Kobalt tools today and I was just out working on the NC. I had to adjust the brake pedal, brake light, shifter pedal after I put on the Knight Design pegs which lower the pegs by a bit. So I am out messing with that and realize that I need to remove the exhaust to get to that rear brake pedal adjustment. Which is fine my Delkevic exhaust came in so I been dying to get that mounted anyway. So I pull the stock exhaust off, fight with the new exhaust for a while and finally start to button things up, snug it all down. Had one of my new combination 10mm wrenches tightening up the exhaust fitting and it snaps off right in my hand. The open C end of it one side bust right off! I had some Stanley tools that I bought that did the same thing it was the last of the Stanley stuff that I will ever buy. Whatever Stanley stuff I have around here once it is gone it will never be replaced with any more Stanley. Well I didn't expect this with the Kobalt.

Just goes to show that you don't always get what you pay for... I should have run over to Harbor Freight and been done with it... :mad:
I may just take all of this Kobalt stuff I bought today back over there and make a Harbor Freight run yet... This is ridiculous.

Back